SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another "what kind of bird (hawk?) is this thread...(Update; she's back still on page 1.)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another "what kind of bird (hawk?) is this thread...(Update; she's back still on page 1.) Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
So this guy has been following me around hoping I root out some food as I do yard work. He flies and perches wherever I'm working and scans the ground for mice, voles, whatever. This morning he got as close as ever, hanging out in a branch right above my head. Pictures kind of suck because I only have a phone and the lighting outside is wierd.

Anyhow I'm used to seeing red tail hawks but he seems either juvenile or just smaller. What do the bird folks think...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Coopers hawk.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/...ies-compare/70780511

Check these photos

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to get a better look at him. He looks very much like a Copper's. But his tail feathers don't look as long and his breast markings aren't a neat and full. The juvenile Sharp-shinned hawk looks very close but the legs are skinnier on the Sharp-shinned. In any case he's a hawk and he likes our yard so I'm good with that.

Oh I read that Cooper's like to eat songbirds and will chase them in the air. But this guy definitely doesn't do that. We have plenty of songbirds flying around all the time and he pays them no attention. He basically scans the ground for small animals.

Maybe a juvenile red tail?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
This Cooper's hawk comes around looking for squirrels. I think he is eating a mouse in this video.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
For myself, it’s difficult to positively identify any juvenile hawk. It’s especially difficult when the wing tips (which seem to be pointed) are not clearly visible, nor is the relative length of tail to wingspan evident. That said, I’ll say with conviction, it’s a young hawk.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Be careful.. s/he may be sizing you up... <snicker>

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Well she/he is back this morning. The hawk left for most of the summer and winter last year. Walked out of the shed and she startled me flying from the post right next to me. I didn't notice her until she flew. Landed on another post.

My pics suck, foggy morning, iPhone. But she was not afraid of me. I got within 4 feet or so of the post and she just stared at me. We decided to hunt together. I flushed out the weeds and overgrowth and she stared at the ground near me. We didn't get anything and she moved on. But so incredibly cool.

Got a decent video of her not giving a shit..

Amazing how far around they can turn their heads. I thought only owls did this.

These go to eleven.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That is so neat. Thank you.
One or two of the crows I feed are becoming pretty tolerant of my being close to them, and it’s a nice feeling to have the trust of wildlife.

Most birds’ eyes are fixed or have very limited movement, so their heads must be capable of moving to compensate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Coopers Hawk. Looking at you pics of the hawk you have the woods at your house. Coopers Hawks get their prey mostly from flying through the woods rather than going up high and spotting prey.
When I kept ducks Cooper Hawks would sometime come from the woods across the street and sit on the fence and check out the ducks. They never went after the ducks but would go after food we put out for them.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
A YouTube comment said this is a juvenile red tailed hawk. Not sure either way. She didn’t look small enough to be juvenile.

These go to eleven.

crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
A YouTube comment said this is a juvenile red tailed hawk. Not sure either way. She didn’t look small enough to be juvenile.

First-year redtailed hawk, probably a male.
Not a Cooper's hawk.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post