SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saw my first hummingbird today!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw my first hummingbird today! Login/Join 
posted
Had my feeders out for about three weeks. Saw my first one today! Life is good.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
They are beautiful. I saw one earlier this year in south Florida. Rare sight around these parts.

Posts: 5916 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We saw our first one yesterday afternoon.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
My first was about a week ago. Damn thing scared the crap out of me. Came right up to my face, fast as could be, buzzed for a minute and took off. They are amazing little creatures.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing birds!They can fly across the gulf of Mexico nonstop to get to our southern border.
Watched videos of them drinking sugar water out of the the palm of your hand to gorge themselves
before the trek. I'm happy just to see a couple drinking my sugar water right outside my window!

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan! One of my hobbies(chores) is feeding birds, and they are one of my favorite clients.

Here in the Texas Hill Country where I live, between Austin and San Antonio, we get ruby-throated and black-chinned. Any others are lost or just passing through.

I still haven’t done it yet, but I’d like to see them bulking up in swarms at coastal feeders before heading out across the Gulf.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1217 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was sitting up on Blind 35 with my truck windows open and a hummingbird flew in, hovered in front of my face for a second and flew back out.
Scared the crap out me!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They stay here in the Pacific NW all winter. Sometimes when we walk out with a refilled feeder on a particularly cold day, one will fly up and land on the feeder while we're still holding it.

Posts: 718 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I was sitting up on Blind 35 with my truck windows open and a hummingbird flew in, hovered in front of my face for a second and flew back out.
Scared the crap out me!

Funny stuff there! A couple times I was squirrel hunting with my 22 heard a noise, looked over and a twelve point buck
was looking at me and me at him, What the hell are you looking at? Never took a deer. I think I'm glad I never did.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate. I had a ground floor office with a window. A hummingbird made a nest just outside my window. People were coming in to have a look and take pictures.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
We've had them here in Louisiana for a few weeks

Posts: 13051 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I was very surprised to see one hovering around a pine tree in my side yard last week. I don't have any feeders out.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39286 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
We had a hummingbird fly into our house yesterday! Little guy was confused and kept trying to leave through a closed window, forgetting where he had flown in from.

I eventually put some gloves on, gently grabbed him, and placed him outside (at first I was just trying to guide him out with my hands). He immediately flew to a ceiling fan on our back deck and sat there for a good 20 minutes, with his wings opened up a bit. I’m thinking he was really drained / warn out and hot.

Where he rested after I got him out of the house:

Posts: 5085 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robbiedog
posted Hide Post
I'm at 7,500 feet near Durango, Colorado. I was in East Texas until 10 days ago and was told that the hummingbirds got here on 5/1/24. I put the feeders out when I got here and they are emptying them about every 3 days....thirsty buggers. I just planted our window boxes and hanging baskets and they're already on the petunias. Life is good for me and my hummingbird pals.

Posts: 144 | Location: East Texas | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
Had my feeders out for about three weeks. Saw my first one today! Life is good.

I haven't seen one since my OP. I put out fresh sugar water once a week.
Don't know where my little friends are at.

posted Hide Post
We had colder spring than normal. I saw one back in late march. Hopefully i will see some when they make there way down to south america.

Posts: 1584 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
One buzzed me when I was sitting on the porch Friday so I put a feeder out yesterday and within 30 minutes it showed back up. It's toward the end of the season for them passing through and males precede the females, so this is likely a female ruby throated hummingbird.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I’m very fortunate that hummingbirds are pretty common here in Tucson and throughout Arizona. My home office window looks out to a bush that attracts hummingbirds several times a day, so I get to enjoy them all day long, and I work 3 of my 4 workdays from home. They are fun to watch feeding, and especially fun when they chase each other. They can be very territorial. Hope you get to see more, Schmelby!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1748 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We have 4 feeders in our back yard. Wonderful birds. We had a Rufous last year. Uber cool.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw my first hummingbird about 2 weeks ago here on Long Island. I don’t have any kind of feeder set up. It was looking for insects alongside my chimney in the spider webs and it was such a beautiful color green. I could not believe just how small it was.

Posts: 187 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: December 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post