SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Educate me on a walking stick...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Educate me on a walking stick... Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
A few weeks ago, I took my family on vacation. I was not able to carry a concealed weapon, due to reciprocity issues, and we were fairly close to an area that was having “issues”. Nothing happened during our stay, but I did carry Mace.

I got to thinking, I’m old enough, I kind of have a limp, and a walking stick would at least be comforting, when you have to resort to other means.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
A "Hickory" stick! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19223 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It was good enough for Andrew Jackson.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
or a nice shillelagh, with or without lead loading...

https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

"Sure it's the same old shillelagh me father brought from Ireland. . . ."
https://youtu.be/-p7DZw5zIGQ

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It was good enough for Andrew Jackson.

I was thinking more like Preston Brooks

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
They're good for all kinds of critter issues...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I make my own by cutting an aikido-jo in half and installing a threaded joint.

Walking Stick rack - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of walnut canes from these guys that I'm happy with. I think the darker finishes are less likely to draw attention to the defensive enhancements that are carved in, and this should be legal most anywhere.

http://xstore.cdavisgroup.com/product/cd201121/

War Eagle!

Posts: 129 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Do you want a walking stick or a cane?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I remember someone recommending this site once for self defence canes. They look kinda expensive though.

https://canemasters.com/index.php?main_page=index

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Oops! Double tap.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Earlier Thread

This was a good thread, good information.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I have a blackthorn stick that I bring along quite often. Apart from the occasional complement, no one ever says anything about it.

Posts: 11363 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
a walking stick would at least be comforting, when you have to resort to other means.

there are all sorts of materials & design features. I've used a variety of those designs over the years & find the actual "wooden cane" crook neck style to be most useful more often, as well as actually comfortable to handle & when weight bearing. All the advantages of the straight pool-cue style with additional techniques available.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've purchased from these guys twice.
First stick was a bit lighter than I wanted, 2nd one was awesome. It's lead-loaded and comforting to hang onto while walking.

Their inventory is updated pretty often, so wait for a nice heavy one to show up and then jump on it.

They make a quality walking stick, there's no doubt about that. Shipping was actually pretty fast, no problems.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:

Their inventory is updated pretty often, so wait for a nice heavy one to show up and then jump on it.

What length and weight was ideal for you?

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:

I've purchased from these guys twice.
First stick was a bit lighter than I wanted, 2nd one was awesome. It's lead-loaded and comforting to hang onto while walking.

They make a quality walking stick, there's no doubt about that. Shipping was actually pretty fast, no problems.

Top quality from a true master who’s also a great to deal with. Perhaps it’s due to time zone but when he announces new stock I get first crack at them a lot. Counting the one coming in a couple days I’ll have 3 shillelagh’s, a fighting stick and a cudgel. The cudgel, fighting stick and one of the shillelaghs are lead loaded. Needless to say I heartily endorse his handiwork. Smile

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post