SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Educate me on a walking stick...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Educate me on a walking stick... Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Thanks for posting this. It looks exactly like what I need so I ordered one through Amazon. It should be here tomorrow.Jim

Using it as a defensive option wasn't even on my radar. I'm having issues with balance and walking any distance can be difficult and this looked like it's worth trying.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Jim, it's the best one so far I've tried and I really like that it keeps my back straighter when I walk and I found it especially helpful climbing up small stairs as well as helping me to get up out of a chair. Good luck, I hope it serves you well!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I am not ready for cane use. But I do use a stick in the woods. I cut a fiberglass broom handle off added a crutch tip and hike away in the woods. I can add a simple camera or scope mount and I have a sort of monopod.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Using it as a defensive option wasn't even on my radar. I'm having issues with balance and walking any distance can be difficult and this looked like it's worth trying.

Jim

The problem is as we get older, we have muscle wasting. Here is a timely article about Whey protein:

Whey's Longevity Benefits
https://www.lifeextension.com/...y-longevity-benefits

I may get two different types of canes as I recover. I had a stroke in April and crawled around for nine days until they found me. A friend called the police when I didn't answer her emails. I still haven't got the full use of my right hand and arm.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Fuzzy, and not giving legal advice, but I strongly prefer a walking stick with a solid brass head/might get one made with a tungsten head. I would not carry one filled with lead.

What's wrong with lead ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Fuzzy, and not giving legal advice, but I strongly prefer a walking stick with a solid brass head/might get one made with a tungsten head. I would not carry one filled with lead.

What's wrong with lead ?

Some states states prohibit them.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Someone used a radar gun to check the tip speed of the Canemaster guy’s cane as he swung it. The radar reading was something like 200 MPH!
A hickory stick applied with even a little velocity can break bones. A modest crack on a shin, a thump to the groin or a jab to solar plexus might be all that’s needed.
Lead is overkill; pun intended. It can slow the tip speed down. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
This thread is very fortuitous, I was looking at walking sticks for my wife.

She wants a longer one for hiking the mountains around here.

Anyone have a recommendation for a longer walking stick? I love the Old Shillelagh offerings but she's not keen on that style.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Brazos has a nice selection of Women's Walking Sticks.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16377 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Brazos has a nice selection of Women's Walking Sticks.

Thank you, having her pick out which wood she prefers and ordering up.

I think I'll keep an eye on walking sticks from old shillelagh. That's a great tool for dog or wild boar around here when hiking.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Lead is overkill; pun intended. It can slow the tip speed down. Smile

True for crushing blows delivered with that end, but when gripped above the knob the lead shifts the balance so blows from the other end are easier to direct and require less effort. Try it.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I understand what you’re saying, but the only time an extra ounce or two for balance matters in practice.
When my arm and shoulder begin to tire while sparing with my cane instructor, I’ll choke up on my cane a couple of inches to make a difference. That option is still available if something serious is brewing.
I was 75 last month and I’m confident an adrenaline dump would have me handling a gate post like a switch. Smile
Whether you choose a stick or a cane; get some training. Practice the basic strikes, but be sure to learn some retention techniques. They can make your attacker regret attempting to take your stick or cane away from you. Your attacker will be winging it with a seemingly helpless victim, but you’ll be using a practiced plan that works. Good luck with your choices guys.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm buying from "Old Shillelagh" after all, nobody will bother shipping a walking stick to an APO.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I ended up ordering 2 Olde Shillelagh clubs/cudgels.
For my next order, I'm keeping an eye out for the right walking/fighting stick when one pops up.
Looks like the proper length should be half your height, but not sure how heavy to go.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post