SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starlink update. It’s amazing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starlink update. It’s amazing Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
We live in a remote area. Hughesnet and Verizon wireless were our only options for internet.
I tried Hughesnet years ago and they sucked, absolutely the worst company I’ve ever done business with.

We have been using a Verizon MiFi as our best option but it’s slow. Streaming was a no go due to slow speed and data caps.

We installed Starlink a month ago. It’s just awesome. We cancelled Direct TV and a MiFi. We got the RV version so we can take it with us on the road. The RV version is subject to throttling but we haven’t noticed it. RV version is available now. Home version is waitlisted.

We added YouTube TV and Discovery Plus. Already have Prime.

So far it’s blazing fast and reliable.

Posts: 12924 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Thank for the info. I've been dragging my feet about getting something up at the cabin based on options that seemed less than stellar (see what I did there?) such as Hughesnet.

Is there a specific package you deemed optimal bang-for-buck?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I can’t wait for it to become available in my neck of the woods. I’m looking forward to telling Frontier to go to hell with their horrible service, speed, CS.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Have you done a speedtest to determine what your actual download and upload speeds are? My brother, who is also a StarLink user, says he's been consistently getting the advertised speeds.

That is pretty amazing.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking into this. So, $110 per month
Plus the cost for YT tv? We already have Prime and Netflix.
Unaffected during storms?
Thought about their phones too? I would love to say good bye to Verizon.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1130 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Have you done a speedtest to determine what your actual download and upload speeds are? My brother, who is also a StarLink user, says he's been consistently getting the advertised speeds.

That is pretty amazing.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Speed looks OK. How's the ping?

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had the starlink since just after beta and after some initial issues it has been solid. I get 80ish down and 20ish up whenever I run the test, but honestly it just works.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Based on what we had it’s stupid fast.

The equipment was $600. Monthly cost is $120. You can pause the service with the RV version so it would be perfect for an RV or second home.

It’s easy to install with a clear view of the northern sky. It’s plug and play.

No issues with weather so far. At 34 degrees it heats up to keep the dish snow/ice free.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Speed looks OK. How's the ping?

We have partial obstructions from a big Oak tree but it’s still fast, no buffering. Not sure where to get ping info.

Edited to add: our installer (no roofs for me) said that based on the obstructions we may have issues with Zoom. We use it For streaming and haven’t had any issues.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
I’ve been looking into this. So, $110 per month
Plus the cost for YT tv? We already have Prime and Netflix.
Unaffected during storms?
Thought about their phones too? I would love to say good bye to Verizon.

We are paying $120 a month. Direct tv was $160. YouTube TV is $$65, Discovery Plus is $5. Our cancelled Verizon MiFi was $80.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I can’t wait for it to become available in my neck of the woods. I’m looking forward to telling Frontier to go to hell with their horrible service, speed, CS.

The RV version is available now everywhere with no waitlist.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Thank for the info. I've been dragging my feet about getting something up at the cabin based on options that seemed less than stellar (see what I did there?) such as Hughesnet.

Is there a specific package you deemed optimal bang-for-buck?

There are only two SL options: RV and Home.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A little more than double the monthly cost, but you're getting the speeds I'm paying Spectrum for (and not getting)
I'm paying for 400/25 & only get about 175/22

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15347 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
What are the technical differences between the Residential and RV?
We’ve been on the wait list for quite some time.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Pausing the service, interesting.

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I too am on the wait list for Home. Advertised to be available in my area by Fall of 2021.

Questions I have that are not addressed on the support site:

Will they give you a fixed IP, or allocate a netblock?
Will they announce and route a customer's pre-ARIN legacy assignment? (I think I already know the answer to this one.)
Does the RV version work while the vehicle is in motion? At highway speeds?
Do they include IPv6 netblock allocation and routing?
Do they prohibit tunneling (in their Terms of Service or by filtering)?
Obviously, the ToS will preclude reselling, but what restrictions do they place on # of devices behind their premises router?

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Not sure where to get ping info.

The Speedtest by ookla website is good but my 1GB/s ISP's installer (Spectrum) said the ookla installed program apps are more accurate when the speeds get fast - he didn't go into detail as to why.

Anyway, I use their downloaded Windows app - this is an example of the output - ping is at upper left:

As you know, ping measures responsiveness to your input - a request is generated, sent, and then the time the response gets to you is measured. Download speed alone does the trick for lots of stuff - email, streaming, downloading etc. but a bad ping makes web browsing, gaming etc. unpleasant.

Reason I ask is I looked into satellite providers a while back, and found that satellites are fighting the whole lightspeed x geometry thing - the signals have to get from ground (your location) up to the satellite, and then back to the satellite's ground station. Then off to the net, a response from the pinged location and then retrace the steps back to you. So two up-and-back-to-orbit cycles added to the process.

I fear there's a reason the built-in speed gauge doesn't show ping. But hope springs eternal.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this. I’m looking at property and planning on a very rural move and this makes it easier. I’m still going to pay to get a fiber or coax build but it’s good to know this is going to work for the interim. I’ll pay for a hotspot cellular backup as I have to be online for work no matter what.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12645 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
What are the technical differences between the Residential and RV?
We’ve been on the wait list for quite some time.

Their website says if you use the RV setup in a waitlisted area you can expect crappy service. I paraphrased it.

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post