SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bought a Roughneck brand drilling hammer today

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I bought a Roughneck brand drilling hammer today Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I bought a Roughneck brand drilling hammer today and I was impressed with the quality and the price. I suppose buying a hammer isn't a high tech decision, but this hammer had the best quality and the best price of all I looked at today of different brands.

So I guess I'm officially recommending the Roughneck brand, though I'm not a tradesman, if that makes a difference. I just looked them up on the internet, they're a brand from Olympia tools, and it appears to be a British company.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on Roughneck tools, I've never used them. I've drilled a lot of holes with Cordless Rotohammers and what I've found is that Hilti and Bosch have been the top performers. Lately, Makita, Milwaukee and Dewalt have been coming out with some solid offerings as well. Battery technology is also better. Great to see competition in this area.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent luck with a similar Estwing 3lb'er and a Hart claw hammer. As I've gained more experience with homeownership and DIY stuff, I tend to spend the extra couple beans on stuff like that, that lasts longer.

No experience with Roughneck. Chances are the parts come from the same place like everything else does now.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
I've had excellent luck with a similar Estwing 3lb'er and a Hart claw hammer. As I've gained more experience with homeownership and DIY stuff, I tend to spend the extra couple beans on stuff like that, that lasts longer.

No experience with Roughneck. Chances are the parts come from the same place like everything else does now.

I like Estwing products, high quality.

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Thanks for the heads up on Roughneck tools, I've never used them. I've drilled a lot of holes with Cordless Rotohammers and what I've found is that Hilti and Bosch have been the top performers. Lately, Makita, Milwaukee and Dewalt have been coming out with some solid offerings as well. Battery technology is also better. Great to see competition in this area.

Apologies, I meant a hand hammer. I don't know why they call them "drilling hammers", I'm not drilling at all, just hitting something with this guy.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
BUT, I saw some Wilton hammers at Northern Tool, first I'd seen, didn't even know Wilton was in the hammer business. Those hammers were nicer than nice, as long as you don't mind paying $100 for a big hammer. But the quality was off the charts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:

Apologies, I meant a hand hammer. I don't know why they call them "drilling hammers", I'm not drilling at all, just hitting something with this guy.

Because they are often used to drive hand held masonry drills.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
BUT, I saw some Wilton hammers at Northern Tool, first I'd seen, didn't even know Wilton was in the hammer business. Those hammers were nicer than nice, as long as you don't mind paying $100 for a big hammer. But the quality was off the charts.

I took a look at those "Wilton BASH" hammers online. They look really nice and should for that kind of money.

By the way I thought it was kind of cute that they named their sledge hammers the "BASH" line.

Then I found out that it was really an acronym. BASH = Bad Ass Sledge Hammer

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's pretty good marketing ! Kind of like the BFR big bore six guns -> "Biggest Finest (Fucking) Revolver". Ha !

makes you think of walking around hitting and shooting things with your BASH and BFR.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I use Estwing. See sticker, big part of why I use them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

I use Estwing. See sticker, big part of why I use them.

i have been using Estwing for 30 years i have about 5 everything from small ball peen to framing hammer and the axe Wink

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Report This Post