SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bill Maher to CNN: 'I don't trust the media'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill Maher to CNN: 'I don't trust the media' Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
I'm not trying to promote Bill Maher by any stretch, but I am willing to give him a little credit when he gets something right. In the case of the network news divisions, I think his insight is spot on. Journalism has bastardized itself into a sickening corner.

Liberal talk show host Bill Maher went after the mainstream media during an interview with CNN Monday night, saying he doesn’t trust them to cover the 2020 presidential election fairly.

“No, I don’t trust the media,” Mr. Maher told CNN’s Chris Cuomo on “Cuomo Prime Time” when asked whether the media can fairly “police” the election.

“I don’t have a lot of faith,” Mr. Maher said. “We don’t live in the era of news divisions as loss leaders like we used to. The news division didn’t used to have to make a profit. Then that changed and now you have to report to the board like everybody else and show your earnings, and in that atmosphere, they’re always going to be looking for eyeballs.

“That’s going to be the most important thing is getting people to click, getting people to watch,” he said. “Look at how much they over-covered Hillary’s emails in 2016.”

Mr. Cuomo added that in the current political environment, where “people want confirmation and echo,” he often has to take heat from the left for “going after the Democrats” on CNN.

“Welcome to my world,” Mr. Maher noted, “because I’m one of the few people out there also that has no team. Even though I think I have a team — I certainly caucus with the Democrats and as long as Donald Trump is president, I am down-the-line Democrat.

“I go after them because they need going after. They need some tough love, and I’m not going to stop,” he added. “But yes, their stuff is raggedy, too. They have some they have to answer for. And they don’t help themselves a lot. I think a lot of this far-left political correctness is a cancer on progressivism.

“When you talk to Trump supporters, they’re not blind to his myriad flaws but they always say is, ‘He’s not politically correct,’” he continued. “I don’t think you can overestimate how much people have been choking on political correctness and hate it. There were two studies about this recently. … The vast majority of liberals in this country hate it. They think political correctness has gone way too far. No one likes to be living on eggshells.”

https://www.washingtontimes.co...ont-trust-the-media/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. As they say, even a stopped clock is correct twice a day. I do like his take on political correctness run amok.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
No one should be surprised by Maher's position here. This is perfectly consistent with what he's said in the past.

Where he is wrong though is his comment about political correctness being a cancer on progressivism. The fact is that progressivism and political correctness simply cannot exist without each other, and that is an immutable, universal truth.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
" Then that changed and now you have to report to the board like everybody else and show your earnings, and in that atmosphere, they’re always going to be looking for eyeballs."

Uhhhh....CNN? Which board are they reporting to?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I used to enjoy him, but haven't watched in years. Like his old show Politically Incorrect.

One thing about Bill, he's not full of shit. He has opinions, and they're honest. Don't agree with many of them, but he's not pandering, and he's not spouting stuff for ratings. He's one of the more honest faces on TV.

For the same reason I liked the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

For the same reason I never watch cable news, or late night network TV.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
I used to enjoy him, but haven't watched in years. Like his old show Politically Incorrect.

One thing about Bill, he's not full of shit. He has opinions, and they're honest. Don't agree with many of them, but he's not pandering, and he's not spouting stuff for ratings. He's one of the more honest faces on TV.

For the same reason I liked the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

For the same reason I never watch cable news, or late night network TV.

He is still a douche bag.

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I’ve said it for years deep down Maher is far less left leaning than his firebrand would have one believe but it pays the bills very well so may as well run with it.
He hit it spot on the other day warning the left to leave guns alone or they will lose 2020.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:

I wouldn't go that far. Frankly I think he is full of shit. And everyone who is in his line of work panders; he's no exception.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I’ve said it for years deep down Maher is far less left leaning than his firebrand would have one believe but it pays the bills very well so may as well run with it.
He hit it spot on the other day warning the left to leave guns alone or they will lose 2020.

I concur.

He knows how to make money.

Every once in a while he slips up and lets out his real views, but he knows well who pays the bills.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
He is still a douche bag.

< thread drift >

I don't get that expression.

A douche bag is the reservoir of liquid used to cleanse parts of the body, and is most commonly associated with cleansing of female genitalia.

Therefore, it contributes to an improvement in the condition, i.e., it makes it even more desirable, of something males, and some females, pursue as if it is the entire reason for existence.

Why then call Maher a "douche bag" when it would be more appropriate to refer to him as a " twatwaffle"?

< thread drift >

Wink

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why then call Maher a "douche bag" when it would be more appropriate to refer to him as a " twatwaffle"? < thread drift >

That works for me. Cool

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post