SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I had my time in the ER last night with chest pain. Update on page 3
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I had my time in the ER last night with chest pain. Update on page 3 Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Glad you're OK 6guns. You did the right thing heading to the ER. I had a friend who waited a little too long and thought he just needed some good antacid. Finally went to the hospital. He never left. It was in fact his heart, a birth defect he never even knew about (sort of know how that goes). His organs died one by one, and less than a week later he was gone.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I was having pain under my ribs for weeks and they ordered an ultrasound thinking it was my gallbladder or bile duct. Test was unremarkable so he shoved a camera hose down my throat.

Nothing.

Well the CT scan sure as shit found the Duodenal ulcer I have. Seems the stress from my job has become so bad, it's affecting my health.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I get something like that around once a year or so. Symptoms exactly like yours. Informationally, I have GERD and you may also.

Doc told me to take a Zantac and if it isn't gone in 45 minutes, head to the ER.

It always goes away within 15 minutes or so of taking the Zantac.

Other than the once a year or so attacks I have no other symptoms.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Glad to read that your health is fine.

As far as retirement, think of it as a BLESSING!
You will have YOUR life to live when you retire, you earned it!
You have the rest of your life to follow your enjoyable passions.
You like to paint, go paint on your time line. You love to play music, go do that on your own schedule.
Go shoot when ever you want.
A job is a job, Fuck it!
Enjoy!

Posts: 4629 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I was in hospital for a week for a totally unrelated problem.

During the hospitalization, I developed chest pains that neither the cardiologist nor any other doctor was able to diagnose.

I described my symptoms in an email to a good friend who is a retired RN. She replied, "Tell those idiots to treat you for costochondritis."

Her remote diagnosis was correct.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Hey 6! So glad that things worked out in your favor. A few years ago I basically had similar symptoms at around 3am in the morning and not ever having any heart related problems I decided to sit in a chair and hope that all would pass and just write it off to heartburn or similar. The pain got too intense after about 15-20min and the pressure was like an elephant on my chest. I gave in and called rescue. Transported and ended up in the cath lab for a stent and a blocked valve. The pain and pressure drove me, glad that I made the call. Good luck brother with everything, job included. God Bless.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement and additional thoughts and stories, guys!

ACTEG, that's been a long time. Hope they still bring enjoyment.

sjtill, thanks. I hoped you'd reply and glad you concur.

Lt, thanks and hope you're out of the hospital soon!

Ogie, they ran bloodwork, but I don't know about potassium.

kkina, sorry about your friend.

Mars, I too have wondered about an ulcer. The job and all the other BS we're dealing with these days as conservatives isn't relaxing!

Flash-LB, that's VERY interesting. I'll be researching that! Thanks!

armored, I will enjoy retirement and have plenty of hobbies to keep me busy. The transition could be a bit trying for me....or so I think.

V-Tail, that too is very interesting. Other stuff to keep in mind. Thanks!

Will, glad you're okay and that you made the call. I guess we all can say better safe than sorry when it comes to unusual pain.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pain is one thing , but couple that with pressure like someone is standing on your chest ...make the call .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
not sure where you are on the east coast but I know down here (Atlanta) the pollen is insane right now and could definitely affect breathing and cause tightness in your chest.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are ok 6guns. If symptoms continue please continue testing until you get it figured out. Let us know if you need anything.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Good move going to the ER, there’s too many guys in the ground right now who just brushed it off as “heartburn” or “gas”.

I did the same exact thing you did a couple of years ago, I had a strange chest pain that was different than the occasional heartburn I might get, this originated in the back and radiated forward through my chest. I went right to the ER and found that as soon as you mentioned “chest pain“, it doesn’t matter how busy they are, they are taking care of you right away.

That turned out to be some sort of pulled muscle or something thankfully.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Dave, thanks for the concern. I'll let my primary doc know.

PASig, like you said, mentioning chest pain, they got me right in.

Glad to hear yours turned out okay!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
CPR in progress is always number one, of course, but chest pain and stroke symptoms always get you to the front of the line. Those, and gun shot wounds. Glad you're ok, 6guns.

Q

Posts: 26394 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Pain is one thing , but couple that with pressure like someone is standing on your chest ...make the call .

I can’t emphasize this quote enough from my own heart attack several years ago. I had a 98% blockage in my Left Anterior Descending Coronary Artery (The Widow Maker). In addition to the pain, the pressure in my chest felt like I had an elephant standing on my sternum! Fortunately for me I avoided bypass surgery as the blockage was in a straight section and the cardiologist was able do an angioplasty and place a stent in the blocked section of the artery. That was July 5, 2008. No problems since then, although I have been following a strict regimen of medication for these last 13 years.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Hey I am glad your better and it was nothing serious. You should look forward to retirement, you have a lot of interests and there is always a time to develop new ones. We need to meet up for lunch or coffee when I go on summer break. I’m glad your well.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Happy to hear you are ok.

Chest pain is nothing to fool with.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Have to say I was alarmed when I read your title. Glad it seems to have worked out. Be well brother!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did they check you for blood clots?
Did you tell them you were driving
across the country?

Posts: 635 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your good news with that scare!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
6guns, glad you are doing ok.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post