SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Built a slab wood table - live edge table
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Built a slab wood table - live edge table Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So I’m not a master woodworker, but I have a few tools and come from a family of woodworkers. I found this piece of wood from some guy in Home Depot’s parking lot. $15. I should have bought everything he had. Hindsight is 20/20.
Anyways, i carefully pelted off the bark, then I got after it with a belt sander and worked my way from 80 grit all the way to block sanding with 2000 grit. Waxed the heck out of it. Debated with my dad for a while on the finish. We talked about acrylic/epoxy, and he’s an old school purist. I brought up urethane, and he finally convinced me of a good wax.
Built the legs out of black pipe. Ms. Beancooker picked the color. She thinks it works well with the table top. I think she picked a pretty good color.
Anyways, it was a fun project that kept me busy many nights after work. I’m quite proud of the results.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Pretty Slick! I like the purple legs!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Looks nice! I assume that is cedar. I recently refinished and old cedar chest that had been stored in the heat, creating a surface of bled out sap.

Very difficult to sand that off and get the surface even as the softness of the wood varied thought the surface. Turned out OK in the end, and I finished it with Birchwood Casey's True oil.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Looks awesome! A live edge dining room table is on my list of things to make...some day. I'll probably end up just buying one, but man do I love the look of live edge tables. Love the natural finish (not stained).

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hardway
posted Hide Post
Very nice!
I make a few slab tables myself but have never used Cedar... gonna have to look into that.I have been using Arm A Seal simi gloss and varathane finishing wax on live edge Walnut. What wax did you use?
Great job and i think you you are right that you should have bought everything he had.

Posts: 952 | Location: Ft Worth,TX | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Looks good. The old man was right about the finish.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Love the purple.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Looks great; you’re probably already well aware that cedar is soft stuff. It can show intentions from just writing on paper atop it. I think several coats of acrylic might have been the right choice, but if it doesn’t hold up, sanding a waxed surface will be a lot easier than a hard finish.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
That looks great!

Glue some felt on the bottom of those feet if you haven't already.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turned out nice!
I lived in an old house that had bedroom closets lined with cedar. Ruined me for modern closets.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Very nice work!

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
You got a great deal on a beautiful piece of wood and you treated it right. Go find that guy and do another project. We’re waiting ... Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hardway:
Very nice!
I make a few slab tables myself but have never used Cedar... gonna have to look into that.I have been using Arm A Seal simi gloss and varathane finishing wax on live edge Walnut. What wax did you use?
Great job and i think you you are right that you should have bought everything he had.

The wax is Varithane natural. I have some Zymol Titanium wax that is 52% Carnauba that I would have used, but I had just loaned it out to a friend for his car. I almost feel I should have waited until I had that back. It’s such an amazing wax.

The guy said it was some kind of juniper when he sold it to me. It doesn’t look much like juniper, but he may have been illegally harvesting cedar, and selling it off as juniper? I’m fairly certain it’s cedar. Sands easily, and smells like cedar.

Anyways, thanks for the compliments. I’m super happy with how it came out and glad I could share it with you all.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
The guy said it was some kind of juniper when he sold it to me. It doesn’t look much like juniper, but he may have been illegally harvesting cedar, and selling it off as juniper? I’m fairly certain it’s cedar. Sands easily, and smells like cedar.

That looks like aromatic red cedar. If it is, it's pretty tough to mistake it for anything else.

Very nice job and I love the purple legs!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Fine looking table you got there!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Good job!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Wow. Great job.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post