SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How is visitation/access/interviews with jailed/imprisoned killers handled?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is visitation/access/interviews with jailed/imprisoned killers handled? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted
Who decides who gets access and what are the typical rules and pertinent details, at County, State, and Federal levels, both post sentencing and before all that, and who (if anyone) has the authority to override the SOP at each level (the Sheriff, the Governor, President, Warden, some Board, whomever)?

I know absolutely nothing about how this works, but am considering contacting a few folks currently behind bars for violent crimes including homicide / murder for a book idea I'm researching, and may want some direct interviews if possible (wholly unrelated to terrorism or Islam or national security, fwiw, just garden variety nutcases and the like).

Do press credentials matter / help?

I'll google it a bunch later but thought some of you would know quite a lot about this.

Thanks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Check your email.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Check your email.

Whoa. Secret stuff!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Check your email.

Whoa. Secret stuff!

You aren't allowed to that information unless you know the secret handshake.

Posts: 13145 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Check your email.
Whoa. Secret stuff!
You aren't allowed to that information unless you know the secret handshake.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30716 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have an Uncle that spent some time in the graybar hotel,

my Mother used to visit him,

they (visitors) had to be on a list (people allowed to visit the incarcerated, not sure how that list is managed)

dress code was enforced (basically expected women to dress like a nun)

I cannot remember if she was able to sit at a table with him or sit in a booth with glass and phone,

she did not like going, but was the only sibling (3 other brothers) that visited him

and it was a low security prison farm kinda place, he was in for DUI related parole issues

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10434 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
usually the warden. Call the specific institution you are thinking about and ask them directly

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
You generally just have to be on their list and go during visiting times. I don't know of any that consider press a professional visitor.

The warden can generally make special exceptions. I had a class that met with a half dozen on death row and toured the facility.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
You have to be on an authorized visitor list, law enforcement conducting an official investigation, or it would need to be approved by the warden and the prisoner would have to agree to it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I've worked in county jails, state prisons, and max facilities.

We had no secret hand shake or special sauce, ever. If you had a badge, you basically just called ahead, told them you were Detective Donut from Crispy Creme Dept, you were investigating a long past crime, and you needed to interview Inmate Guilty A. Sin #123456. They usually told you to come on down on this date, at this time, and they would set an interview room aside for you.

No need for warden approval, no need for state attorney approval, no need for captain approval, no need for court order, if you are a sworn law enforcement officer with a badge, then call, set up a time, and come see the inmate. This assumes this is a "regular" class of inmate that can somewhat behave and act like a human, and not an extremely dangerous inmate, death row inmate, or one on psychiatric or suicidal watch. If the inmate is a "special" case, then they will need to schedule extra officers and security to deal with that.

Leave EVERYTHING in the car. No gun, no pocket knife, no cell phone, no keys other than your one single car key, no wallet other than your badge and ID, nothing. You can bring your paperwork in and probably an electronic tape recorder.

50% of the time, or more, when you show up the inmate will refuse to speak with you.

If you call down to the dorm and ask the officer to ask Inmate Sin if he is willing to speak with Detective Donut, they will refuse 100% of the time. Its better to ambush them and just have them brought to an interview room, without them knowing why or that a detective is there to see them. Much more likely to get something out of them.

Buy yourself a snack from the visiting room snack machines, be sincere and offer to buy them a couple dollars worth for their time, and they might talk. Some guys are cheap.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t think the OP is an leo.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post