SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Subaru gurus: Help me with used Outbacks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subaru gurus: Help me with used Outbacks Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
I'm due for a vehicle and we're scoping out used Outbacks. Do you have any common things to look for? Pitfalls? Red flags?

We're thinking the 2.5i, as we really don't tow or do much that I feel would warrant the V6. We're also mainly looking at 2011 and newer. Budget-wise, we'll probably stay between 9 and 12K.

Is it better to try and nab like a 2010 with 70K miles, or settle for like a 2013/2014 with 120-130K?
We don't really have any plans to do anything other than drive it and care for it until it dies.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Following.
NikonUser & Aetocles both have Outbacks, 3.6 H6s.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I think the 2015 and up might have cvt leak issues. They extended the warranty to 10 years. My 15 Legacy 3.6R (car version of Outback) went 77k miles with no issues other than a weak battery before I traded it in.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 2011 Outback 2.5 was on the verge of blowing the head gaskets at 100K miles and there seem to be issues with the CVT after 100K.

Posts: 772 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
Not a guru, but was looking at Subie OB's as well. Hope this helps in your quest for knowledge:

https://scanneranswers.com/the...ead-gasket-problems/

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 143 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Head gasket issues on older ones, 4 and 6 cylinder both. 6 cyl is a $4000 fix. My daughter has had 2 outbacks. The 4 cyl one blew the gasket every 75k miles. The 6 cyl was supposed to be better but it went bad at 110k miles. She will not buy another Subaru. We have a 2016. Supposed to be fixed by 2016. We shall see.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I have a 2013 Outback with the 4-cylinder. All maintenance done at dealership.

That said, I have had zero major issues at 87,000 miles. My next car will likely be another Outback, but I have a few years to go.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
Head gasket issues on older ones, 4 and 6 cylinder both. 6 cyl is a $4000 fix. My daughter has had 2 outbacks. The 4 cyl one blew the gasket every 75k miles. The 6 cyl was supposed to be better but it went bad at 110k miles. She will not buy another Subaru. We have a 2016. Supposed to be fixed by 2016. We shall see.

4 G's for a headgasket? Seems pretty high

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
We have a 2015 Outback 4 cyl that we bought new. Roughly 50k miles and zero issues other than recent replacement of the anemic OE battery.

Love the car. Great all around vehicle with very high customer satisfaction and reliability ratings from Consumer Reports.

Posts: 3728 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I have read that the OE battery is a bit low on CCAs.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I have read that the OE battery is a bit low on CCAs.

You are spot on...here is one of my prior posts at to the very low CCA's:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...400013164#4400013164

Posts: 3728 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are very, very tough cars. Currently I've ones at 280K and 160K. I'm fully expecting both will make it to 300K+, subject to some kinds of repairs that dwarf the market value. Most of the big issues that have cost me real money in the end relate to time on the road in the winter (salt etc.) versus mileage. I would all day long pay for a newer higher mileage example. Mostly the running gear can be fixed inexpensively.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’d go with the 2013. Has the timing chain and supposedly better head gaskets.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
2012 or newer. 2012 is when they eliminated the head gasket issue. 140k on my 2012 and I'm still daily driving it.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
On the "older ones" I *think* they used the same 2.5L 4-speed platform for several of their cars. So my smaller '08 Impreza was identical under the skin as the larger heavier Outback? More wear'n'tear putting a larger vehicle on the same mechanical system?

I've been poring over specs for the last month and am focusing on a new Impreza or Crosstrek Premium with CVT - the only 'option'. Plus auto-dim rearview and all-weather mats.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
timing belt up to 2012 - chain after.
105,000 miles is the belt change interval - verify if done.

Suggest 2013 or later
No CVT issues in any

In my family there are (all 4-cyl):
-2000 OB wagon - 335K + will donate to some group (HG change at 100/200K)
- 2002 Imprezza - 160K+ (HG at 120K)
- 2009 Forester- 250K + (1st HG change at 220K)
- 2012 OB wagon- 95K
- 2018 Forester - 28K
No concerns staying with them - it's called "maintenance"

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Avoid the engine option with the timing belt. Get the engine with the timing chain.
When the timing belt breaks, after 100,000 miles, the repair will be extremely expensive.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Hence why it gets replaced at 105,000!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
^^^^^^^^
Hence why it gets replaced at 105,000!

Yup, better a small $$ outlay for preventative maintenance, than big $$$ for a catastrophic repair.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2004 Outback with 150,000. Its been good but I wish I had, had it looked at by the dealer ship. I didnt hear anything but when it was checked the drive shaft was shot.. and it is a one piece unit so it was 1200 bucks

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post