SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trappers: De-scenting a trap?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trappers: De-scenting a trap? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I have a Havahart trap. I also have a coon (or more likely coons) raiding my feed shed.

I caught one this morning that unfortunately contracted a terminal case of lead poisoning before I could remove it from the trap.

I'm not naive enough to believe Rocky was the only one, so I plan to reset the Coon Condo.

I hosed it off good with plain water to remove the detritus of Rocky's demise, but I'm wondering if I should do something to mask any remaining olfactory clues?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15229 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not a trapper, but coons are such vile, filthy beasts that it probably would be fine to use their brother’s brains for bait.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hosed it off good with plain water to remove the detritus of Rocky's demise, but I'm wondering if I should do something to mask any remaining olfactory clues?

That's probably enough.
I use soap water for lots of things. I mix a little Dawn dishwashing liquid in a squirt bottle. That might help a little before you hose it off.

I trapped 12 coons over about 6 months. They were living in my attic without paying rent. They met a similar demise.

Coons are smart creatures though. Don't be surprised if the remaining coons quickly figure out that going in your Havahart trap is a bad idea. When that day comes, you might try these:

Duke DP Dog Proof Coon Traps 0510 Lil Griz Type Trapping Raccoon
https://www.hilltopoutdoorsupp...om/product-p/ddp.htm

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unscented bleach. Dilute it down to about 20% and put in a spray bottle, spray it on, rinse it off good.....once it's dry it won't have a residual scent on the trap.

I've found if you have a water source nearby, it's best to just throw the whole trap in the water (with a rope you clip on it) for 10 mins and just drown the animal.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a very simple way I prep my traps and snares before setting them out and it seems to work well.

I take spruce needles, branches etc small stuff with lots of needles on it and boil them in a pot, I boil the trap in the water for awhile then try to handle them minimally before setting them out.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Trappers up north where we used to vacation when I was a kid boiled 'em in something. The way the traps came out I got the impression there was wax in it.

I still have a #0 one of those trappers gave me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post