SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yet another story highlighting the sturdiness of the Jack Russell Terrier breed.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yet another story highlighting the sturdiness of the Jack Russell Terrier breed. Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
The Jack Russell Terrier is one hell of a breed. They are muscular, bullet proof little demons on four legs. But they are also IMO the most intelligent, attractive and rewarding dog breeds you can ever be blessed to live with. They are not the easiest dog to live with and require an ungodly amount of exercise and stimulation but they are durable and fun loving.

Stories like this really make me miss my JRT. He was with us for 18 years.

My JRT and my best friend on this planet, my grandfather. I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss both of them.

Link to article

Missing Colorado Hiker Discovered Dead, His Faithful Dog Survived Beside His Body

The man and his dog were reported missing on Aug. 19 after leaving home “with a plan to summit Blackhead Peak,” according to Taos Search and Rescue

A man has been found dead on a Colorado mountain nearly two months after he disappeared while on a summertime hike with his dog — which was found alive and by his side.

Rich Moore, 71, and his dog were reported missing on Aug. 19 after leaving home “with a plan to summit Blackhead Peak,” according to Taos Search and Rescue.

A local hunter located Moore’s remains in the Lower Blanco drainage basin on Oct. 30, the Archuleta County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release obtained by PEOPLE.

The Pagosa Springs man’s dog, described by the ACSO as a white Jack Russell terrier named Finney, “was found alive” alongside the hiker’s remains, according to TSAR.

I had to post up the JRT sample pic from the article too. Look at that Jack. It’s looking for a squirrel or a grizzly bear to fight to the death. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21134 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had one. Smartest little dog I ever had. Cancer got him early. I miss that little guy.

Posts: 4788 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Lost my Jack to cancer also. I don't think the pain ever goes away.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1490 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Our Ringo looked a lot like the OPs. He'd watch me like a stalker all day long constantly analyzing if my activity involved him. He'd evaluate my clothing and would just go lay down when I put my sailboat racing clothing on. I watched him one day get wrapped up while on his tether, he figured out how to unwrap himself but couldn't do it consistently.

He'd have liked me a lot more if I'd have followed his rules better. It was funny how his standards changed over the years. For a while he was so rigid that if you accidentally fed him twice the same day, he wouldn't eat it. Later on he would.

Posts: 7486 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Their hearts are somehow larger than their entire bodies. My BIL had one for years that he found as a stray on the tracks in New Orleans. That maniac would throw himself at any male dog regardless of size. As soon as his wounds healed, he was right back in the ring.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15640 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Their hearts are somehow larger than their entire bodies. My BIL had one for years that he found as a stray on the tracks in New Orleans. That maniac would throw himself at any male dog regardless of size. As soon as his wounds healed, he was right back in the ring.

I don't understand mostly small dog breeds with this mindset and how it seems to go against survival. But I suppose dogs are so selectively bred that no naturally occurring dog would act like this.

Posts: 7486 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics of the gorgeous JRT from this story.

I love this breed so much. They are muscular, full throttle little balls of pure energy but their intelligence is IMO on a totally different level. I personally believe them to be them to be the most intelligent breed on the planet. They learn FAST!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21134 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I believe I read that this little JRT was only 10-12 lbs before this event, was only 5-6 lbs
when found.
They are amazingly resourceful, intelligent and faithful little creatures.
Had my little girl Bella for almost 16 yrs, miss her dearly every day !

Posts: 794 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The one from this story looks quite a bit like mine in the face. Especially the white eye lashes, patch over the eye and snout. My little dude lost his brown eye patch in his old age but he used to look a lot like the dog from this story when he was young. It makes me miss my JRT quite a bit. They are amazing little dogs with a heart of gold and the same courage as a U.S. Navy SEAL.

Mine loved to sprint a mile flat out when he was young. He towed me many times while I followed on a bike and occasionally tried to bite the front tire sending me over the handlebars at speed. The dogs have literally no fear.

The JRT is a hard breed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Mine was a rescue mix. He was stubborn. It took quite a while to get him adjusted. But Lord he was a special boy. Did not get to have him near long enough. Miss him every single day.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:
I believe I read that this little JRT was only 10-12 lbs before this event, was only 5-6 lbs
when found.
They are amazingly resourceful, intelligent and faithful little creatures.
Had my little girl Bella for almost 16 yrs, miss her dearly every day !

Not to be morbid but a cat will start eating your face about 20 minutes after you die. I guess dogs aren’t quite the same?

Posts: 3937 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I cal 'em "Jack Russell Terrorist"

But don't get me wrong, I'm a dog lover and they are good little dogs....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of my JRT when he was younger and still had his brown patch over his left eye.

Cats and dogs don’t always get along but these two loved each other. Of course if I said “go get the kitty” it was off to the races. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Our JRT, taken when she was 3 years old, she's now 10. 2nd to my wife, my constant companion. Smart, loving, and extremely loyal.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16731 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Oddball, She is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love her broken coat (longer length fur). My JRT had very short fur.

I keep telling my wife I want to get another JRT. She doesn’t like how much they shed their fur. We have a mini Schnauzer who is 100% obsessed with me and follows me like my shadow. He has been a pretty neat little dog, a great family dog and good companion who is always excited to leave the house and go on adventures just like my JRT. My Schnauzer is totally different from a JRT in energy level but I am certain one day I will own another gorgeous JRT. They are imo the best looking dogs on the planet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Smile

Posts: 4707 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post