SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Community Survey
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Community Survey Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
If you are going to take from the rich, and give to the poor, it would help to know which is which.

Same same for the "ethnic" questions, obviously, some should be favored over others.

Why no party affiliation questions? Might as well go whole hog.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
When I get these things, I throw them in the round file.

When people I don't know come to my door, I don't answer the doorbell.

No problem.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I don't fill out anything except the number of people who reside. That is all.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
As I started reading the questionnaire, the first couple pages, I thought, these don't look too bad. Reading on further however, was I ever wrong! Very intrusive questions they don't need to know the answer to.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2091 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The last one I got the number of people living there was all they got.
Never heard a word after that.

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You don't have to answer these surveys. When any survey or the US Census forms show up in my mailbox, they never make it inside my house- from mailbox, right into the trashcan.

If you don't answer the US Census, and refuse to answer when they knock on your door, they can fine you "up to" a whopping 100 dollars! You're better off in this respect if you don't answer, because the fines are steeper for giving false or misleading information:

United States Code, Title 13 (Census), Chapter 7 (Offenses and Penalties), SubChapter II

Sec. 221. Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers
(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I, II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not more than $100.
(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a) of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is false, shall be fined not more than $500.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.
Sec. 222. Giving suggestions or information with intent to cause inaccurate enumeration of population Whoever, either directly or indirectly, offers or renders to any officer or employee of the Department of Commerce or bureau or agency thereof engaged in making an enumeration of population under subchapter II, IV, or V of chapter 5 of this title, any suggestion, advice, information or assistance of any kind, with the intent or purpose of causing an inaccurate enumeration of population to be made, shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

When they do knock on your door (and they will), be cool:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...080072384#6080072384

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
One thing you should count on- if they come to your door, expect every person in that group to be recording the exchange with their phone. Likely, it will be an audio recording because they know they can't be pointing a phone at you when you answer the door. However, it could be a video recording, and that way, they can whip out their magical talisman in a heartbeat if they sense you're a conservative. Roll Eyes

When a census worker came to my door (after I had thrown in the trash everything they sent me by mail) she had a clipboard in hand, which she held like a serving tray. On the clipboard sat her phone, maybe a foot and a half from my face. It's not hard to figure.

These people know they're going after people who don't want to give them any information. You can bet your bottom dollar that you'll be recorded surreptitiously, so, you'd better be careful.

By the way, although it may have happened, I've never heard of anyone having a fine of any amount levied against those who refuse to answer the Census.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
This is a hysterical example of government overreach. But remember, they must justify their jobs. I even agree you have a requirement to tell them how many folks reside at your address. Well, sort of. I kind of agree you do have a responsibility to answer that much. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you. I think I like my dog better than I like most people. Especially if they work for the government.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post