SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ring Doorbell paid for itself today. Arrest Made 7/3/21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ring Doorbell paid for itself today. Arrest Made 7/3/21 Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
I was spending time with my folks two hours away from my house and my daughter tells me there is a man at our house. I have several camera's and was able to watch him try to pry into a back windows while on with dispatch. Few minutes later four guys in blue showed up and hauled him off. He told them I had stole some property from him and he was going to steal it back from me. Guy lives about 20-25 mins from me and I have never seen him before. I bought a ring doorbell for both my front and back door. I put in another system around the house when the riots in Louisville started. Got some real good footage of the guy, but the Ring did the trick.

Pic of video from RING Camera

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redlickranch,

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
It takes a special kind of stupid to be staring at a ring doorbell and still try to b&e.

Glad it worked out for you. Hopefully not too much damage to the windows. I wonder if a neighbor knows him....

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is you can hear him on camera look up at my Blink Cam and say "Glad they have all these Cameras" Not much damage he was using a wood survey stake as a prying tool. One camera has him walking around in circles talking to himself. Pretty sure he was high as a kite. Pretty brave to be doing this in middle of the day.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Was your daughter in the house? Glad he was apprehended, druggie thieves are the scourge of the earth.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
We were all out of town when this happened. Daughter noticed the Ring Alert first. I was actually trying out my new Ruger PCC 9mm at my farm.

NRA Life Member

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I have my system all laid out on my counter, trying to decide between blink or ring.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
A few years back I purchased an online item and following the delivery tracking info it was described as being delivered and a photo of it placed by the front door of somebody's house. I explained I was home all day for it to be delivered and no item was delivered as stated. I sent them a video from my Ring doorbell that clearly showed what my front door area looks like and clearly the item was delivered to the wrong house. Without further delay, I was offered a refund on the spot or another delivery of the item. I told them I still wanted the item and just send another. That was great. Now I see a lot of home delivery services taking photos with their phones when items are delivered since the pandemic got legs last year. It's a good idea provided it's the right house with this no-contact deliveries being made.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That is great that the Ring worked as intended relickranch. I've had a Ring for 3+ years now, and upgraded to the Ring Pro when I moved into my new house in November, 2020. I've been thinking about getting a rear camera for the back of my house as well and your post makes me realize I should just do it.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
When we first moved into our house we wanted to see who was coming and going with the follow up contractor visits fixing our new house. At one time the painters took an hour and a half lunch which we recorded on the ring. One of the guys was arguing with my wife that he was only gone for 20 min. She was able to pull up the ring and show when they left and then came back. Later that day he was outside talking to a coworker on how he was about to tell my wife to "Kiss his a$$" We got it all on video.

My backyard I wanted to cover the windows on the ground level. So I bought a 5 camera Blink system with 2 AA batteries. Some batteries have lasted 3 years so far and you can set up a schedule like 10 PM to 6 AM so your phone doesn't get blown up with alerts. You can also manually arm the system if you leave house and go out of town like I did this past Saturday. This was another pic from the video we got an alert on with this dude in our backyard.

BLINK CAMERA

When the Riots hit Louisville which is about 20 mins from me we decided to buy a REOLink system that is hard wired and records in 4K. We use this system to cover the outside of house and it will also let you zoom and hear sound. The phone app is really good, but we also have it wired into a 60 inch TV. All you do is change the input on your remote and you can go from Cable, Netflix to security cams. It records roughly an hour clip at a time so it is pretty easy to go back and find stuff. I think you can also set up motion alerts, but we typically just use the Ring alerts.

Reolink snap shot from my Iphone off the TV.

Another Reolink photo that my wife was playing on her phone and I took a picture of it. Image of video was really good using the app.

After watching more of the alerts we found a video where this guy came to our "Front Door" first and even looked at the camera and said.. "How you doin' there" and then searched under the mats and chairs looking for a key.

FRONT RING DOORBELL CAMERA

NRA Life Member

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
this guy came to our "Front Door" first and even looked at the camera and said.. "How you doin' there"
We have a word for that: Chutzpah

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We don't have a Ring system but we have 7 cameras covering every entrance plus the drive way, road, wood shop, etc. All are fairly discretely placed. Love being about to watch remotely what's happening around our place. Glad multiple LEO's got there in time to catch him.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Kinda makes you want to get those Sentry Guns from Aliens.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have noticed people who go door to door (supposedly trying to sell something) wear the visible ID badge around their neck. I guess they think it makes them look official and legitimate.

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Good Point. We wondered if he was a contractor that had done work in the area.

Name Badge, blue jeans, long sleeve shirt, work boots in 96 Degree weather.

NRA Life Member

Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Ordered a few Ring wired cams for inside the house to watch doors while we are gone. Got them on Prime day for around $20 each. Really good quality and were set up in about 2 minutes.

NRA Life Member

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I have noticed people who go door to door (supposedly trying to sell something) wear the visible ID badge around their neck. I guess they think it makes them look official and legitimate.

A lot of cities have specific ordinances about selling door to door, and you have to get approved by the local police. The city then issues a letter for each individual. And they have to have the letter and ID with them in plain sight. That’s the deal with the lanyards…it lends credibility to the free lance guys who are really just out casing your neighborhood.

When any of them come to my door I immediately ask if they know they have to go thru the city for a permit, then I ask to see it, then I tell them they can be fined or arrested without one….this usually drives them off.

You can look up if your city has their codes online at this municode link. https://library.municode.com/

Soliciting is it’s own chapter

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Would you know what an official or legit ID looks like? I wouldn't. I run in-home appts, so I have to walk up to the door and ring the bell or knock. I always have an ID badge on a lanyard around my neck. If they have a Ring doorbell camera, I make sure my ID is visible to the lens. It has my name, photo and insurance license number on it. Once in a great while someone will want to take a photo of it with their phone. But that's usually after I've written them a policy and have every bit of personal info you could ever have on someone. I have gone to the wrong address plenty of times and still been invited in and closed business. My biggest customer is one of those. Door-knocked the wrong address and hit the jackpot. She keeps calling me for more and sending me referrals. I don't know that she'd have talked with me if I hadn't had on that badge I made at Kinkos.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post