SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mother in law does it again - NASA themed quilt for our son's birthday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mother in law does it again - NASA themed quilt for our son's birthday Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Our son is very into NASA and space exploration and his birthday is today - he's 15. Grandma made him a NASA quilt along with several other gifts for his birthday. He loves it - been wrapped up in it all day hanging around the house.

The 'does it again' is in reference to this thread about an America themed quilt she made for me:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...310032364#1310032364

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your MIL is extremely talented. That looks great!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks great!

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
You feel like adopting another kid? I loved my grandmas, buuuut...I am jealous. Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
That’s out of this world work!

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Amazing works of art!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Very nice, MIL is very talented.

The America themed quilt she made for you is beautiful.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any grandmas, soooooo I'm just saying.

That looks awesome!

ARman

P.S. happy birthday to your son.

Posts: 3154 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful quilt. I'm sure that your son will cherish it for a long time.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Such a loving gesture. If I were you I'ld be talking about you getting cold at night, where she could hear. Smile

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
Such a loving gesture. If I were you I'ld be talking about you getting cold at night, where she could hear. Smile

She has already taken care of me!!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...310032364#1310032364

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
That's as high quality work as i've seen!

I would imagine that took awhile to finish. Just a guess, but about 100 hours of work?

I've seen quilts like that one go for over a $1000

Thats phenominal.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That's fantastic!

Posts: 10980 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!! What a talent!!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I have asked her to guesstimate the time spent - but she usually works on several projects at once so she is not sure. She said she does know that there is no way she could price them where she could actually make money from selling them. She is content to make them for family and friends - she loves knowing how much they are appreciated and cherished. No price tag on that, for sure.

- John Adams

posted Hide Post
I'd still like to buy one like the American quilt! Wink

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Super cool

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Thanks guys, I have asked her to guesstimate the time spent - but she usually works on several projects at once so she is not sure. She said she does know that there is no way she could price them where she could actually make money from selling them. She is content to make them for family and friends - she loves knowing how much they are appreciated and cherished. No price tag on that, for sure.

I assume it would be in the $400-500 range in order to make it even worth her time.

You got something money can't buy, enjoy it. It is a dying skill, you are so lucky to get to benefit from it.

But..... If she has any desire to make an Redskins Caps or Nats one as practice for a future gift I will buy all materials. Wink

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

I assume it would be in the $400-500 range in order to make it even worth her time.

You got something money can't buy, enjoy it. It is a dying skill, you are so lucky to get to benefit from it.

But..... If she has any desire to make an Redskins Caps or Nats one as practice for a future gift I will buy all materials. Wink

My wife makes quilts, and her answer is: you can't afford a handmade quilt.

There will be $100 worth of material in one, and thirty to fifty hours of assembly time, before the quilting step is reached. It it is hand quilted, add another thirty hours. If machine quilted, that takes a five to ten hours of time and a machine that costs a lot of money. There are computer controlled quilting machines, but they cost like a car.

$400 to $500 probably wouldn't even touch it at an hourly rate that pays a quilter a reasonable amount for the skill involved.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post