SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is my grill cover rusting out my grill?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is my grill cover rusting out my grill? Login/Join 
posted
I have a Weber Spirit grill and its always been covered and stored outside.

The grill is about 7 yrs old and the cabinet is showing some major rust on the floor and I can see daylight.

Is the grill cover causing/trapping excessive moisture? Am I better leaving it uncovered?

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could be. Some covers breathe better than others.

If you leave it uncovered, the sun will probably fade the paint and bleach anything plastic.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried it both ways still got rust.

I am in New England.

It seems less beat up with the cover on.

YMMV

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have a Weber Performer and I bought the Weber cover for it when new 5 years ago. No rust and the cover is still in great shape. I figured that they knew how protect their products best.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The only issue I've ever had with the cover is when/if moisture gets trapped between the cover and the paint on the top. It doesn't hurt to uncover it after a big rain to make sure there isn't trapped moisture and let it dry thoroughly.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Do you have a ten year warranty? Last month I purchased a Spirt E II that came with a ten year warranty that covers everything.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Do you have a ten year warranty? Last month I purchased a Spirt E II that came with a ten year warranty that covers everything.

I think I have a 5 year warranty on the cabinet. Ill have to get my serial # and call weber to check.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weber has amazing customer service.

I believe they will take care of you, especially if your using one of their covers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it a weber cover or aftermarket? I'd call Weber.....they are usually excellent on customer service. But yes, it's possible. Some say the covers hold in extra moisture that radiates from the ground up after it rains, others say covers extend the life.

My Genesis S-330 that's 6 years old is showing signs of rust in the cabinet......it's popping through the silver paint in several areas. But I live 1/2 a mile from the beach in South Florida.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Weber Genesis thats probably about 12 or so years old. Handful of years ago noticed the bottom of the cabinet was rusting out, called Weber, and determined the cabinet was out of warrenty. Best they could do was about $160 or so for a replacement cabinet. I opted to decline that. So, disassembled mine, wire brished, navel jelly, and multiple coats of Rustoleum to what was left. Still holding up, but every season a bit more of the cabinet rusts away. Grill has been on a deck, covered in a location that gets plenty of sun. Grill gets used about 2 or 3 times a week year round. Looking at other used Webers around me, this seems to be a common issue with the Genesis grills. Wondering if this was a driving force behind the current model with the redesigned cabinet?

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
I see people on here rave about Weber, but my 5-year old Weber Genesis is just about rusted through despite using the Weber brand covers specific for the grill. It's very disappointing. Their covers aren't worth a damn either. I've had to replace them several times in that short amount of time. I contacted the company last week and am waiting on a response.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:
I see people on here rave about Weber, but my 5-year old Weber Genesis is just about rusted through despite using the Weber brand covers specific for the grill. It's very disappointing. Their covers aren't worth a damn either. I've had to replace them several times in that short amount of time. I contacted the company last week and am waiting on a response.

Talk to them about the covers too, I think the covers have a 3 year warranty. I also remember weber had a time a few years ago when the covers were lower quality or they got a bad batch. Let us know how they handle it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Is it a weber cover or aftermarket?

The cover says Weber on it but I did not buy direct from them so who knows if its legit.

posted Hide Post
This is another time when I'm glad I built a huge garage on our house. Plenty of room to keep everything inside.

I did have an ignitor go out on my Weber Genesis and I looked up how much I paid for my grill. Almost $1000 bucks is close to highway robbery for what it really costs them to make.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Talk to them about the covers too, I think the covers have a 3 year warranty. I also remember weber had a time a few years ago when the covers were lower quality or they got a bad batch. Let us know how they handle it.

It didn't work out well at all. I sent the pics in to Weber and discussed it with the customer service lady. She said that they could send the parts that were still under warranty (that's obvious and didn't exactly impress me). Unfortunately, only a few things were still under warranty and that didn't include the lower and rear panels of the cabinet that had rusted and come apart. With those factored in, the total out of pocket cost for the non-warrantied parts needed would be just over $250. The reason I paid $700 for the grill in the first place was because I thought it would outlast the cheaper ones. If I'm going to have to spend $250 and an afternoon of my time on repairs, I'd just as soon buy the less expensive ones and replace them every few years. I told her it wasn't worth the hassle to me and not worry about sending the parts. I'll still use my kettles while they last to smoke butts, ribs, wings, sear steaks, etc., but I won't buy another Weber grill after that. Very disappointed.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post