SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baseball – NL DH
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baseball – NL DH Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Personally, I don’t like it.

“Before all the self-proclaimed purists forecasting the destruction of baseball strategy and the very sanctity of the sport as we know it go berserk bemoaning the inclusion of a designated hitter in the National League this season, remember this:

In a most remarkable October full of huge momentum swings, the pivotal blow that decided last year’s World Series was delivered by, yep, the NL DH.

OK, that clang resonating off the right field foul screen at Minute Maid Park — courtesy of Howie Kendrick’s home run in Game 7 for the visiting Washington Nationals — probably won’t drown out the wailing of longtime National League fans over the plan to play this virus-delayed season with a (gasp!) DH in both circuits.

And it certainly won’t quell the debate that’s raged since April 6, 1973, when Ron Blomberg of the New York Yankees stepped to the plate at Fenway Park as Major League Baseball’s first DH (and drew a bases-loaded walk from Luis Tiant)…”

https://apnews.com/65108eedab9d99a2363874398910bf1a

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
If you want baseball to return in 2020, a few things will be different. It’s not going to make everyone 100% happy. Get used to it.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What's the reasoning that they can't play baseball this season without a DH? I thought the big push was to speed up baseball, not slow it down, which the DH tends to do.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MLB WGAF

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
What's the reasoning that they can't play baseball this season without a DH? I thought the big push was to speed up baseball, not slow it down, which the DH tends to do.

How does DH slow it down? I would think all the pitching changes would slow it more

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Minor league and college has DH, the overseas leagues utilize the DH, the NL is the last group to not use the DH. I don't like it, its a disastrous relic from the 70's, however, the reality is, having pitchers hit has become a practical waste of an at-bat. Today, its all strikeouts, walks or, home runs, you'd think with all the walks and players being finely tuned athletes, there'd be more base stealing...nope. I appreciate the strategy of the sac hit, the sac fly, putting runners in-motion, the double-switch however the game has changed. In time, the pendulum will swing back to a more well-rounded game until then, the DH.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Without looking it up, do you remember who the first DH to bat was?

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a die-hard NL baseball fan, I don't like it, but it seems like an inevitably.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I never liked the DH. It changes the strategy of the game.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The DL change is the least of the issues right now. I just read a story that owners are 'presenting' a new proposal to the players union today that would require a new revenue split. The players union had previously noted they would not entertain any more revenue concessions or compromises in a future deal to play ball this year. I think the two sides are a long way apart in getting any deal accomplished at current.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
By no means would I be confused with a purist but I believe the DH should stay and it should also be implemented into the American League. I believe pitchers should be batting and held accountable in case they want to go head hunting. I also believe that balls and strikes should be called by a computer to make it a totally accurate and consistent strike zone.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The DL change is the least of the issues right now. I just read a story that owners are 'presenting' a new proposal to the players union today that would require a new revenue split. The players union had previously noted they would not entertain any more revenue concessions or compromises in a future deal to play ball this year. I think the two sides are a long way apart in getting any deal accomplished at current.

True, and the MLBPA (union) is the strongest in pro sports.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Without looking it up, do you remember who the first DH to bat was?

Are we allowed to read the OP before guessing?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Having been forcibly moved to the AL from the NL, (suck it Brewers and Bud Selig!) I was against the DH.
I will say that I am much less so now. In today's game the Pitcher is a sure out.
You can argue that that adds to the managers job of how he plays that certainty but with the DH the game has been fun to watch.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
What does MLB and MLBPA do if all the DH’s in the AL and NL are on the IL?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Having been forcibly moved to the AL from the NL, (suck it Brewers and Bud Selig!) I was against the DH.
I will say that I am much less so now. In today's game the Pitcher is a sure out.
You can argue that that adds to the managers job of how he plays that certainty but with the DH the game has been fun to watch.

HK Ag

Makes it easier for the DH when they steal the signs and bang on trash cans I imagine Razz

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Any player on the active roster can function as a DH in the line up.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Just because the DH rule is in effect does not mean the teams have to use it. Those NL teams are perfectly within the rules to allow their pitchers to hit for themselves. When two NL teams play they could simply agree not to use the DH. Any bets on how many forgo the DH?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or, a MLB team in the NL or AL can call up a ML player in AAA to MLB to take the place of the DH that’s on the IL.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Or, a MLB team in the NL or AL can call up a ML player in AAA to MLB to take the place of the DH that’s on the IL.
Normally yes, but not during this abbreviated season they're trying to cobble together. In all the proposals so far, minor league baseball is shuttered for the season, so those players won't be available for call up. And even if they were available, none of them would be in shape to play.