SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baseball – NL DH
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baseball – NL DH Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm against the DH in theory but don't actually care in practice. Yes, there's some strategery involved when pitchers hit and managing double switches is kinda fun to think about but watching starting pitchers flail away 2-3 times a game is boring. I'm more concerned with the move to have 7 inning games for doubleheaders and the bullshit about extra innings starting with runners on base. I'd prefer ties than monkeying around with those rules.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Without looking it up, do you remember who the first DH to bat was?

No, but I do remember, and know personally, the very first batter to appear in ESPN's first live broadcast sporting event.

A: Nick Nikitis, leadoff hitter and 2b for the Kentucky Bourbon's pro softball team.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
the DH is unAmerican

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some nameless godless heathen communist who knew not what he did offending the ghost of Abner Doubleday.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
He was a Yankee and it kept his career alive.

Ron Blomberg.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

Some nameless godless heathen communist who knew not what he did offending the ghost of Abner Doubleday.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
What does MLB and MLBPA do if all the DH’s in the AL and NL are on the IL?
Any player on the active roster can function as a DH in the line up.

Or, a MLB team in the NL or AL can call up a ML player in AAA to MLB to take the place of the DH that’s on the IL.
Normally yes, but not during this abbreviated season they're trying to cobble together. In all the proposals so far, minor league baseball is shuttered for the season, so those players won't be available for call up. And even if they were available, none of them would be in shape to play.

Do you have a source on MiLB being shut down? I have not seen anything stating the minor leagues would not play. Latest I could find was a Jeff Passan report dated 4/29 that despite speculation the MiLB season had not been cancelled.

While it may not be normal, I would expect MLB teams to at minimum run something at their spring training facilities for minor league guys.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Here's an idea, why don't they just play fucking baseball? Other than a shorter season, which it probably should be anyway, why change anything?

The only reason baseball games are long, is television.
And the only one complaining that games are long, is television.

quote:
Originally posted by SR025:

How does DH slow it down? I would think all the pitching changes would slow it more

The near automatic out when the pitcher gets up.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Just because the DH rule is in effect does not mean the teams have to use it. Those NL teams are perfectly within the rules to allow their pitchers to hit for themselves. When two NL teams play they could simply agree not to use the DH. Any bets on how many forgo the DH?

Well, sure, but no team is going to do that. Not with any regularity, anyway.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I hate the DH, but you can count on one hand the number of Major League pitchers who are a threat (other than sacrifice) at the plate.

Speaking of the sacrifice, I enjoy its strategic turns, along with all the other NL management differences from the AL.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In theory, I don't like the DH, in practice, I want to see the best pitchers pitch & the best hitters hit - and that ain't pitchers. 9 times out of 10, you can take a piss break during a pitchers at bat & not miss anything - how is that adding to the game?

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t like it, but obviously, I need to get over it and just enjoy the game. Anymore, I like college ball more than MLB, and I’ll miss the College World Series next month like a mother would miss her baby.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the DH(ducks for cover). Maybe it is because I grew up watching the Red Sox (life long fan). Watching NL games with the pitcher virtually always standing there flailing away(if they swing at all) at 3 pitches is just awful.

As stated, the number of pitchers who are a threat to do much of anything at the plate is very low.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
In theory, I don't like the DH, in practice, I want to see the best pitchers pitch & the best hitters hit - and that ain't pitchers. 9 times out of 10, you can take a piss break during a pitchers at bat & not miss anything - how is that adding to the game?

Because playing that way is called baseball. Smile

Really, why not play like football, nine batters, nine fielders? Roll Eyes
Watering down the game is not adding to the game.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptb351:
I prefer the DH(ducks for cover). Maybe it is because I grew up watching the Red Sox (life long fan). Watching NL games with the pitcher virtually always standing there flailing away(if they swing at all) at 3 pitches is just awful.

As stated, the number of pitchers who are a threat to do much of anything at the plate is very low.

It’s gonna happen, but I think we all remember growing up, the pitcher was often (usually) the best athlete on the team. He could both pitch and hit very well. It stays that way until college or the minors when coaches make the pitchers concentrate on pitching and give up on the idea of being a hitter—even a pinch hitter.

I know a guy who was a LHP and hit about .430 in HS. He was recruited by BYU and was allowed to hit there. He continued to hit well averaging .360 his first season and .325 the second, as they had him concentrate on pitching more.

He transferred to ASU. Most of you know, one of the premier D1 baseball programs in the country. No more hitting—at all. He needed nasty breaking stuff to be effective and early in his senior season, after hours and hours of pitching, tore his L elbow up bad. He had to give up baseball. Typically, a starting pitcher at ASU, especially a left hander is drafted pretty high. No even a chance, he was done. We’ll live with the DH, but the pitcher didn’t have to become almost a sure out.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
If it means they'll begin playing, I’m all for it. There will no doubt be an asterisk on the season, but playing is one step closer to normalcy.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post