SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ammo Can Sources?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo Can Sources? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
(I know this question has been asked here before, but I'll be darned if I can find a thread.)

What's your favourite source for good ammo cans? I need 3-4 of the "50 cal" size.

I've bought them from Walmart in the past, but I think those are the ones that don't stack well with the Real Deal--or even necessarily with each other?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Try AIM surplus.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've bought them from Aim, Tractor Supply, and Academy and they're all about the same.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Talking ammo cans?

MidwayUSA has been running a sale on them AND had free shipping over $49...but I think they're running low.

AmmoCanMan is another good place to buy from, either from their own website or on Amazon.

The best bet is to wait until they go on sale with free shipping from PSA, Midway, or others.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, the usual vendors. Once in a while I buy ammo on sale in bulk that come in a box of sorts, may be plastic.

With a few metal ones over the years, then the newer plastic ones, I seem to have enough.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Georgia Arms still furnishes 30 cal. metal boxes cans with their 500 and 1000 round bulk offers. I picked one up at our local gun show last week. What I really missed on was a guy selling them for $6 each! I went by just as I was leaving, two guys waiting on me at the entrance, to buy a couple and he was not at his table, had a kid sitting there guarding his stuff while he was gone that could not sell me anything. I think he was selling the 50cal ones for like $8.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
If you have a Tractor Supply near you, I don't think you can do better than the 50 cal cans they sell for $8. Pretty sure they're made in China, but the paint and seals are as good as any I've seen.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/...edium-2811s503?rfk=1

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AmmoCanMan via amazon here. Regular 50's, fat 50's and 30 cal, all good to go so far.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
At one time Palmetto State Armory had a spectacular deal on them.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gspdude
posted Hide Post
I buy mine from Midway, when they are on sale. I get the cheapest "grade" and they've always been in great shape.

Posts: 544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
AmmoCanMan via amazon here. Regular 50's, fat 50's and 30 cal, all good to go so far.

At over $20/pop for the regular 50 cal. cans: Are they any better than the $12 or so cans at Walmart or the... huh... $8 ones at TSC?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Maybe not the best, but good enough for me at $2.99 each, with coupon, from Harbor Freight.

These are the smaller (.30 cal?) size, plastic.

I noticed that it's important to inspect them, for hinges, and check the rubber gasket that seals the lid, but for three bucks each, they're fine for my purposes.

They do stack nicely.

Plastic, so the magnetic "labels" don't stick too well.

This sale ends February 28, 2019.

Coupon required, image is below. You don't have to print it, you can just show it to the cashier on your smart phone.

Limit, five boxes per customer, per store visit. Get a cup of coffee and go back to the store for five more, if you need them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Maybe not the best, but good enough for me at $2.99 each, with coupon, from Harbor Freight.

Thanks, but I already have several "50 cal" boxes and want to retain stackability/consistency to the extent possible.

Besides: I just plain like the metal cans for ammo Smile

Heh... just reviewed the reviews of the "Grade 2" cans at Midway. Pretty good reviews. So I decided to order four of 'em. Order went right through w/o asking for CC info. "Huh?" Turns out I had a credit there about which I'd completely forgotten!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! (Btw: Turns out the free shipping thing is dead.)

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic,

Sorry I just saw the post. In our area Joe's Army Navy Surplus on Woodward in R/O used to have USGI .50 cans there. About 12 bucks each IIRC but that has been a couple years back.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

At over $20/pop for the regular 50 cal. cans: Are they any better than the $12 or so cans at Walmart or the... huh... $8 ones at TSC?

No idea. I'd been scrounging for deals on ammo cans but finally gave in to the convenience of Amazon prime. They're new, very nice, and have great seals. They smell a bit funny the first time you open them, though. I assume that's what China smells like Big Grin

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Thanks, but I already have several "50 cal" boxes and want to retain stackability/consistency to the extent possible.

Besides: I just plain like the metal cans for ammo Smile

Heh... just reviewed the reviews of the "Grade 2" cans at Midway. Pretty good reviews. So I decided to order four of 'em. Order went right through w/o asking for CC info. "Huh?" Turns out I had a credit there about which I'd completely forgotten!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! (Btw: Turns out the free shipping thing is dead.)

Harbor Freight has standard metal .50 cal ammo cans too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...Rank%2Cf&q=ammo+cans

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
ensigmatic,

Sorry I just saw the post. In our area Joe's Army Navy Surplus on Woodward in R/O used to have USGI .50 cans there. About 12 bucks each IIRC but that has been a couple years back.

The Joe's up here on M-59 used to have them, too. Last few times I was in there the selection looked pretty sad.

So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
The local Walmart sells them here - Steel 50 Cal green ammo cans - they're only $13.99 at the store, they want a bit more for them online.

Ammo Can at Walmart

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3923 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post