SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Surprise on last night's dog walk, Aurora Borealis! More pics added.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprise on last night's dog walk, Aurora Borealis! More pics added. Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures bringing back memories winter 1973 thru fall 1979..Ft. Greely/Delta Junction/Fairbanks, Alaska... But job title actually forced me outside into the sub/sub zero temperatures and able to view these sights... My biggest complaint is that some of my sightings can not be duplicated even by National Geographic magazine quality photos...... My physical locations could have been described as out in the boonies and void of light saturation from man made lights . Believe it or not but I have actually sounds made as the lights were dancing across the skies.. even though the people in the know say that the lights do not make sound as they dance across the sky. I know what I heard.......... drill sgt.

Posts: 2022 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nice pix of the lights sent to a local TV meteorologist from yesterday. Worth a look. Big Grin

Photos: Northern lights from around the Black Hills September 19
https://www.newscenter1.tv/wea...-278f56fc54b4.html#5

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
We went to Antarctica so didn't see any haha.

You can see them down there as well. Just not a whole lot of places to see them from.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/prod...a-30-minute-forecast

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Believe it or not but I have actually sounds made as the lights were dancing across the skies.. even though the people in the know say that the lights do not make sound as they dance across the sky. I know what I heard..........

You're not the first person I've heard that from.

A little googling shows that they have proven that they do indeed emit audible sounds. They are charges particles after all...makes sense.

I've seen them many times, but never heard anything.

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
We went to Antarctica so didn't see any haha.

You can see them down there as well. Just not a whole lot of places to see them from.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/prod...a-30-minute-forecast

Did not know that thanks but it’s the winter down there now and not a friendly place to be…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful! Definitely a bucket list item for me. I went outside a couple of times at 2am when we were up there last month just in case, but no dice (I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I had to try lol). Some day I'll get up north in the winter so I can see them.

Posts: 8650 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We saw them once during the two years we lived in Minnesota for my cardiology fellowship. Some relatives were visiting, staying in a trailer outside of the Twin Cities. IIRC it was August. We stepped outside on leaving, and there were the lights!

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Dude.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8697 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bucket list!!! Amazing!

Posts: 1094 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I expect this is the closest I'll ever get - Thanks for posting! Cool

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Seeing it for real is something you'll never forget.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37999 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On rare occasions we can see the Northern Lights down here in WA. A week ago Monday there was a pretty spectacular show especially viewable up in the San Juan Islands part of Puget Sound, but also somewhat viewable elsewhere, especially away from the glow of city lights. Of course I missed catching even a glimpse of it from where we're at because I was clueless about the light show overhead to the north. A shame, because a lot of the time when the solar activity is just right, the weather around here usually doesn't cooperate. But I have seen it in the past from here.

Not sure when exactly this pic was taken but the local NBC affiliate posted it with their report on the recent viewing. I certainly haven't seen as striking as this pic illustrates, but I suppose timing is everything.

Sorry about the big picture; it's not mine to copy or edit so I'm just posting from its image address.

-MG

Posts: 2013 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
W0W!Thanks for sharing!! Cheers

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post