SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice needed on high end car purchase please
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed on high end car purchase please Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
Hello, I am looking at buying a NICE used/CPO car to travel in soon (next 60 days). I have not had a nice car since i graduated boot camp in 1989 LOL (it was a 1989 LX 5.0 mustang BTW)..I am looking for a car that has name recognition, reliablility and is comfortable for long (6 hours or more) trips.
I have it narrowed to CPO Lexus IS 250/350, a CPO BMW 3 or 5 series and lastly a new or like new Charger RT

I live in the sticks so it is impossible for me to run to a service center to fix or repair my cars. Reliability is key and quality built is important. Any suggestions or things/models to stay away from???

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
What's your budget? there are a LOT of cars that fall in the bmw 3 and 5 series range. Of the ones listed, the Lexus will probably be the easiest on you for maintenance.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Lexus will be the most reliable hands down. The 250 is under powered.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7079 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Lexus. When you need a repair, it's common to find a Toyota or Lexus mechanic. However it wont be in the shop much and maintenance is a breeze.

BMW out of warranty will eat your pocketbook.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lexis for longevity and reliability. BMW is nice but expensive to maintain.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Of the 3, I'd pick the 5 series simply based on the vehicle class. A mid size sedan will be more comfortable than a smaller car, all else equal. The longer wheel base will smooth out the road, and the wider stance and heavier weight will give the vehicle more stability.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Sport sedans, or coupes for that matter, are not 6-hour-drive vehicles.

Why don't you look at a Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, or a Infiniti G37 or something along those lines.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
If you end up with a "certified" used BMW it will come with a 7-year 100k mileage warranty.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I have driven IS250/350 models as courtesy cars while my other Lexus's were in for scheduled maintenance. I would not judge them as comfortable in any sense of the term.

I have had a number of ES300/350s over the years, and found them reliable and comfortable.

I have owned two LS430's. These are the best cars, comfortable, reliable, safe, powerful and safe. I have a 2004 now with 170,000 miles.

I also have a 2009 RX350. This too has been very satisfactory, good power, astonishing mileage, great handling.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Lexus for ease of maintenance and reliability.
M5 for the absolute fun of it.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

Why don't you look at a Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, or a Infiniti G37 or something along those lines.

The 5 series BMW would be a comfortable ride.... but I agree on the above for maintenance, it would be expensive.

You mention the Honda Accord but not the higher line Acura models. I've had good luck with my Acuras.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24159 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Go drive an Audi A6. If you like the 3 series BMW - you should at least go drive VW GTI Autobahn or Golf "R"

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
forgot to add, my budget is 30K

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
i was guessing the Lexus would be reliable, I am not an Acura fella and i REALLY like the LOOKS of the 250/350. I am not worried about power or speed, or even economy so much as I am reliability and comfort.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
I have a toyota dealer w/n 45 mins..BMW or Audi closest is over 3 hrs away..

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I lease every 3 years. No worry about repairs, I'm never out of warranty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I have driven IS250/350 models as courtesy cars while my other Lexus's were in for scheduled maintenance. I would not judge them as comfortable in any sense of the term.

I have had a number of ES300/350s over the years, and found them reliable and comfortable.

I have owned two LS430's. These are the best cars, comfortable, reliable, safe, powerful and safe. I have a 2004 now with 170,000 miles.

I also have a 2009 RX350. This too has been very satisfactory, good power, astonishing mileage, great handling.

Jallen, do you mean to say those 250/350's were not comfortable?

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Go drive an Audi A6. If you like the 3 series BMW - you should at least go drive VW GTI Autobahn or Golf "R"

I think Shawn said reliability is an important factor. Wink

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lexus IS250 under power, IS 350 heavily understeer, if you perfer this boring car then get the ES 350 , atleast reliable and comfortable.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

I agree.....an IS or 3 series will NOT be comfortable for a 6 hour drive. I'd look towards a GS lexus. I'd rule out BMW just because of the repairs and cost of ownership.

The challenger is something totally different.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post