SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any other benefits aside from longevity with Platinum and Iridium Spark plugs over copper?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any other benefits aside from longevity with Platinum and Iridium Spark plugs over copper? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Seems that platinum and iridium plugs seem to be the norm anymore so they can have a 100k change interval.

Aside from longevity do they offer anything over the copper plugs?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25665 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They work good but don't go 100,000 on them they still age and imho should be replaced earlier, those running them that long risk the gap changing and the coils working too hard on cop applications

Posts: 24209 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
According the NGK there is a performance benefit. Just don't gap them.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGdAxlEO26I

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just pulled the original set from our 2005 Buick Lacrosse with 115,000 miles. They were still very close to the factory gap and showed little erosion.

Posts: 1504 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any performance or fuel economy improvement? No. They do seem to go a long time. I changed my 100K iridium plugs at 105K and they were hardly distinguishable from the new ones. I always recommend the same brand and type as OEM for a replacement spark plug.

Posts: 28642 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best benefit is if you have an engine that is a b**** to change plugs you can do it less often. Think those are rare. Nope.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11161 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Seems that platinum and iridium plugs seem to be the norm anymore so they can have a 100k change interval.

You don't get the 100k out of them if you don't have the newer coils to power them.
My '03 Tundra doesn't qualify. Frown

That's what the dealer told me. Are they full of it?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3869 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Dealer sounds full of it. Power required to spark a gap is related to the medium through which the spark must jump and the gap itself.

I tested the Delco plugs with a U groove ground electrode extensively and with statistics. The addition of the groove did improve my fuel economy. This was proven by the statistics of thousands of miles before and after the change. If you have a choice of plugs, you may want to choose those having a special configuration at either the ground electrode or center post.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always recommend the same brand and type as OEM for a replacement spark plug.

My mechanic does the same. I think this is probably good advice.

Posts: 27159 | Location: Murphyville Tx | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
I always recommend the same brand and type as OEM for a replacement spark plug.

My mechanic does the same. I think this is probably good advice.

I have always had Fords so I have always used copper autolites (they make motorcraft plugs).
About to do a Chevy was going to use Autolite again or should I go with ACDelco?

————————————————

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The best benefit is if you have an engine that is a b**** to change plugs you can do it less often. Think those are rare. Nope.

This. With a V6 and front wheel drive changing ever 100,000 is worth the cost. Add in coil-packs on each cylinder and I will continue to use these plugs. Add in they are the factor plugs in my car.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16449 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My mechanic would use ac/delco.

Posts: 27159 | Location: Murphyville Tx | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

This. With a V6 and front wheel drive changing ever 100,000 is worth the cost. Add in coil-packs on each cylinder and I will continue to use these plugs. Add in they are the factor plugs in my car.

I am getting ready to do a Chevy Silverado so this is not an issue.

Our two newest vehicles are V6 Toyotas both have well under 50k miles. I have not even looked at what is involved in doing the Highlander or Sienna and don't plan on looking until it is time. No need to dread the job for years.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
My mechanic would use ac/delco.

The ACDelcos are .40 more a plug I think I can splurge for the extra $3.20.

————————————————

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have found that the plug may look fine but the insulator starts to deteriorate over time so I change my plugs around 30K miles for the best gas mileage.

I use the AC/Delco copper plugs and take my index plate to Advanced Auto Parts and pick out the plugs that the open electrode faces the intake valve. This is the same procedure that Honda uses when they divide the plug radii into four sections and determine the each cylinder thread index to select the plugs like A, B, C, or D.

My engine was rated for 17 MPG on the highway and that was the best I could get. So I raised the carb, added MSD-6 CD, adjusted the pressure regulator, and indexed the plugs. After these mods, the highway mileage went to 20 to 21 MPG.

Posts: 11881 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
If you've got an engine with cylinder deactivation like the late model Hemi motors from FCA, anything other than plain old 3 buck copper plugs can mess up how the MDS system operates and cause you problems.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am getting ready to do a Chevy Silverado so this is not an issue.

A hint for these: jack or hoist it, remove the front wheels and the plastic wheel house (a plier is needed for the dozen push pins), and everything is right there, easier than climbing over and lying on top. Also have some wires on hand, as they tend to stick and get ripped.

Posts: 28642 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I changed all my wires to 10 MM. The stock wires do not last long with all the heat under the hood. You are right that the boots pull off the stock wires. I also use the ACCEL distributor cap and rotor.

It is amazing how much your gas mileage drops if the plug is facing the wrong way. That is how I found out how important it is to index your plugs. Reading about the Honda indexed plugs convinced me that indexing was the best way to go to increase gas mileage.

Assume the intake value or the fuel injector is at the 7 o'clock position of these plugs. The spark of the lower plug would be blocked so the plug needs to be rotated 180 degrees. The upper plug has been what they call "side gapping" to give better spark exposure.

Posts: 11881 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of the indexing of spark plugs before. Though it makes perfect sense.
I have always just put them in with no thought of orientation.

Happen to have a good write up on indexing so I can be sure to do it?

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
If you've got an engine with cylinder deactivation like the late model Hemi motors from FCA, anything other than plain old 3 buck copper plugs can mess up how the MDS system operates and cause you problems.

They've been using platinum plugs since 2014 or 2015. And the Silverado I used to own had a similar system with platinum plugs.

Posts: 2219 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post