SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guacamole Recipes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guacamole Recipes Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Who's got the best one?

I've been making Chef John's guac recipe for the past few years. To be honest though, while good, it's a bit labor intensive. I'm looking for one that I can whip up easily and that is REALLY good.

Whatcha got?

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
To me the most key ingredient in a good guac?

SALT

lots of salt

Those avocados are so bland on their own and the lime juice and salt are crucial.

I won’t hesitate to salt guac that I think needs more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PASig,

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I just use avocado, garlic, lime juice and salt and everyone loves it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12448 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I fine chop a little sweet onion and a tad of tomato minus the seeds and use garlic salt instead of regular if available. Been doing it that way for almost 50 yrs.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Here’s mine:

Avocados mashed just a little with a fork

Hand-shredded lettuce

Tomato diced

Onion diced

Salt

Pepper

A little hot sauce

Lime juice (almost forgot)

Served with blue corn chips

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
The recipe on a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and chilis is quite good.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
OldMick's recipe (above), with a bunch of crushed garlic added, will work fine. I can live without the lettuce.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Fresh garlic, diced green chili, diced tomato (peeled if you like) some finely diced hot pepper depending on how much heat you like ranging from jalapeno to habenero or scotch bonnet or ghost. Lemon or lime, a bit of cayanne or chili powder if you like.

I process with a pastry blender.

Posts: 7471 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Seven replies and no mention of cilantro? That's a fairly critical ingredient. Stuff like this is why I have no faith in Mexican food outside of California.

Avocado
Onion
Cilantro
Lime
Garlic
Salt

Optional: jalapenos

Tomatoes if I want to bulk it up for scooping with chips.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Mashed Avocados
Chopped onion
Diced fresh tomatoes
Chopped jalapeños
Salt to taste

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Everything mentioned by Aeteocles in his post above. I seed the jalapeño, don’t want to bite into one of those seeds. I use finely chopped red onion, cilantro and chopped tomatoes. No garlic in this dish though.

Chopped fresh tomatoes
Finely chopped red onion
Cilantro
Chopped, seeded jalapeño
Avocados, several, lightly mashed
Salt
Lime juice

Yum.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10499 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Red onion and tomatoes. I like those ideas.

Posts: 20129 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
For a quick and easy guacamole, I use salt, black pepper, lime juice and a little sriracha.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pico + Avocados = Guacamole.
Simple as that.

Onion
Tomatoes
Jalapenos
Cilantro
Lime Juice
Salt + Pepper

Depending on how smooth you want the Guac you can blend or crunch the Avocados accordingly.

YMMV

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Instead of salt, use what the Mexican's use, Tajin...or, the Trader Joe's knockoff.

Otherwise:
lime juice
cilantro
white onions
jalapeños

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Seven replies and no mention of cilantro? That's a fairly critical ingredient. Stuff like this is why I have no faith in Mexican food outside of California.

Y'know, there are other border states with large Mexican immigrant populations. Smile

As a Texan soon to be moving to southern California, I am looking forward to seeing how southern California Mexican food compares to Tex-Mex (which isn't exactly Mexican food from Mexico, but done right is pretty tasty) and south Texas Mexican food (which is pretty much the same as what you get in the part of Mexico on the other side of the Rio Grande).

I'm not sure how I will cope if I can't find a good barbacoa place.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Pico + Avocados = Guacamole.
Simple as that.

Onion
Tomatoes
Jalapenos
Cilantro
Lime Juice
Salt + Pepper

Depending on how smooth you want the Guac you can blend or crunch the Avocados accordingly.

YMMV

Interestingly, I know several first-generation Mexican immigrants who put diced avocado in their pico (maybe 1/4-1/3 of the total solid volume of the recipe - no mashing involved), and think it isn't really pico - or at least is a poor excuse for pico - if it doesn't have avocado in it.

In a different direction, growing up, we had a Salvadoran housekeeper who made pico all the time with what I think of as the usual ingredients, but all finely minced rather than diced as I see virtually everywhere else.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

Y'know, there are other border states with large Mexican immigrant populations. Smile

Almost 20% of the population has the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap and they just don't like it.
But I agree that guacamole should have cilantro in it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16535 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

As a Texan soon to be moving to southern California, I am looking forward to seeing how southern California Mexican food compares to Tex-Mex (which isn't exactly Mexican food from Mexico, but done right is pretty tasty) and south Texas Mexican food (which is pretty much the same as what you get in the part of Mexico on the other side of the Rio Grande).

I'm not sure how I will cope if I can't find a good barbacoa place.

Like you pointed out, Tex-Mex is influenced by those regions which border the Rio Grande.

SoCal Mexican, and really all throughout CA, the Mexican food representation, is much broader in influence. Not only is the Baja coastal culture is strong, which is lighter and more seafood focused (you see this more around San Diego-region) but, very heavily represented by dishes from Jalisco, Oaxaca, Michoacan and Guerrero. You'll even find a handful of Yucatan/Mayan-gems with their distinct dishes. While you'll likely miss your familiar Tex-Mex, you'll also get a much broader array of food options from our southern neighbors. Of course, all my friends who are Mexican background, all lament they can't find a good place here in Estados Unidos, but they do have their favorites Big Grin

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
White onions over red.

I'm looking for the sharpness and crunch without adding fragrance or sweetness.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post