SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hearing protection that works with my phone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing protection that works with my phone Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I've been wanting to get something more useful for hearing protection for when I'm running the big machines. Right now I use foam earplugs because they work better (33-34dB vs 22-24dB for muffs). Plus, I wear glasses so the seal around my ear doesn't work as well as it should.

I was looking at Worktunes because recently I had to wait for an important call and also had to work. I ended up sticking my Bluetooth earpiece for my phone in a set of muffs so I could hear the ring.

Are there any muffs that work with glasses where the temples don't break the seal around the ear?

I plan to double up the protection by using plugs and the muffs so it also had to be loud enough to hear music/ringtones with the plugs in my ears.

Do any have an external microphone so I can talk on the phone without removing them?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Posts: 45383 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use work tunes blue tooth.

When recieving a call it rings through the work tunes headset. I simply either power down the equipment and answer. Or answer and listen to call through work tunes, whil holding mic from phone up to my mouth. You can answer the call by simply tapping the power button when wearing the worktunes.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Work...254&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I had thought to try a micro usb mic attached to the work tunes, i just have not wanted to talk to anyone bad enough to try it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I use work tunes blue tooth.

When recieving a call it rings through the work tunes headset. I simply either power down the equipment and answer. Or answer and listen to call through work tunes, whil holding mic from phone up to my mouth. You can answer the call by simply tapping the power button when wearing the worktunes.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Work...254&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I had thought to try a micro usb mic attached to the work tunes, i just have not wanted to talk to anyone bad enough to try it.
Thank you. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I have a feeling I'll regret having the phone annoy me through the day but sometimes it's necessary.

I ordered a set from your link.

Posts: 45383 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually have two sets. THey last quite a while on a charge. I rotate them between charges. Okay, okay, it is more the fact I take them off, then set them down and can never remember where I put the first set down. I use them in my tactor, even though the tractor has bluetooth, on my mower, when using any of my lawn care equipment, when shooting. They are solid muffs. My only complaint is the size and they are not very breathable.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Another option to consider are basic earbuds. I use this set:

LG TONE PRO HBS-780 Wireless Stereo Headset - Black (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077..._api_i_fwb1CbRVX4QKN

They are of course not certified for such use but the fit in the ear is tight and does an admirable job. I used to use them when mowing/edging the lawn (I’ve gone electric now so it’s not loud) but I also use them when shooting pistol and shotgun. They work great while shooting plus they provide music/talk radio/podcasts and can handle phone calls if needed.

Never tried them shooting rifle, though.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some electronic muffs have a cable input port.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
High noise communication sets have a microphone that let you take phone calls without having to shut down equipment if you wanted to actually take calls while working as opposed to simply hearing the phone ring.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15726 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the worktunes. Battery life is ridiculously long.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Yep.

I have a couple sets of Peltor Sport Tactical 100 electronic muffs, and I wear one when I'm mowing or weed-eating. They have a port for an Aux cord, which I run inside the front of my shirt and plug into my phone in my shorts pocket. I can then listen to music or audiobooks through my phone while I do yardwork.

They don't have a microphone to talk on the phone through, but I'll hear the phone ringing in the headphones, and can then kill the mower/trimmer, retrieve my phone from my pocket, and take the call.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I use these when on the tractor or mowing the lawn.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung...7417547&s=aht&sr=1-5

I also added the foam tips to further reduce outside noise. similar to these

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-...&sr=1-29-spons&psc=1

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Yep.

I have a couple sets of Peltor Sport Tactical 100 electronic muffs, and I wear one when I'm mowing or weed-eating. They have a port for an Aux cord, which I run inside the front of my shirt and plug into my phone in my shorts pocket. I can then listen to music or audiobooks through my phone while I do yardwork.

They don't have a microphone to talk on the phone through, but I'll hear the phone ringing in the headphones, and can then kill the mower/trimmer, retrieve my phone from my pocket, and take the call.

I have the Peltor 500s which actually have BT. I use them when I shoot so I am wearing eye pro without issue.

I did answer the phone one time at an outdoor arch and the person on the other end complained about the gun shots despite me thinking I was far enough away so you probably would have to shut down the equipment.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.ryobitools.com/pho...ppressing-earphones/

RYOBI™ PHONE WORKS™
NOISE SUPPRESSING EARPHONES & APP

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RY...one-ES8000/205495711

RYOBI
PHONE WORKS Noise Suppressing Earphones with Microphone

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Pro Ears will work, but each time you press the trigger it will dampen all sound, including your phone.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The worktunes came in today. Unfortunately, they don't work very well. They don't cut out nearly enough noise and even when cranked the speakers can't compete with the mower.

The others don't look to be any better. Back to foamies.