SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for tech geeks regarding phishers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for tech geeks regarding phishers Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
We all get phishing emails all the time, and, for all of us here I dare say, it's easy to spot these cockroaches. You know, (1) hover the mouse over the header to see the real email address, and (2) never click on anything in the email, no matter how authentic it looks.

Got one this morning from "Wells Fargo Online" claiming a money transfer request was made, and to click here to cancel if you didn't make the transfer. So, hovering over the header, I knew right away it ain't WF. But the click here part is what puzzled me. The "here" is the actual WF website's url, all correctly spelled out. Of course I didn't click on it because of rule #2. Went on the actual WF website and checked, and there was nothing unusual going on. So, question is, how do these scumbags accomplish the scam by putting WF's url in the email?

Q

Posts: 26479 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Here's how to fake an URL:

https://www.wikihow.com/Hack-a-Url-Link-on-an-Email

Have you ever wanted to send someone a fake link to one site that goes to a completely different place? It's not that hard. Keep reading for detailed instructions.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post