SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ancestry Tests
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ancestry Tests Login/Join 
Picture of BrianC
posted
I don't mean places like Acestry.com that use records to trace one's ancestry, but the sites that use DNA to check where you came from. You know, the "I thought I was German until I discovered I was Chinese!" ads that claim to pinpoint you to a specific group (1/3 Polish, 1/3 Croatian, 1/3 Klingon). Has anyone tried this? If so, what are your impressions?

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
You do understand that Uncle Sugar gets this information and runs it against the unsolved crime DNA database(s). Even if there is no direct match, any near miss suggests that the wanted person is a close relative. All this invites close scrutiny of you, and your family, by various LE agencies.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2193 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some good discussion in this thread where I asked a similar question a while back.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/7200022544/p/1

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I had considered doing it some time ago, but no way now.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38698 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I just don’t care. I’m looking forward, and don’t have time to waste on the rearview mirror. I don’t understand why this is so popular either. It’s not like you can do anything about any of it. Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I'd do it. I don't care who has my dna. None of my family is crooked.
I just don't trust the findings.
Bull chit for $$$

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I did 23andme when they first started, it's mostly accurate, based on some 3rd party analysis of my sequenced DNA.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I did the Ancestry.com DNA test the out come was very close to what I already knew. Given my surname and talk of those lines that married into the family. I was sorta neat to find out the percentages of blood lines. I'm mostly an Irish/Viking or a Viking that settled in Ireland (chicken or the egg). Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
The ancestry.com test gives origin information too. I’m English, Scottish, German, and Swiss, as expected.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Traced my family tree back a few hundred years. Fairly easy. Guess what? I'm an American!

Wouldn't use 23 & Snowden even if I lost a bet.

Posts: 9164 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You give up your DNA information, which becomes intellectual property of the company, if that matters to you.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I posted that Abbott Pharma bought 23 and me and guess what they are gonna do with that info?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8375 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Ancestry and the others all tell you their best estimate of where your ancestors came from, by matching your DNA to DNA from people all over the world. They determine what proportion of your DNA matches DNA found in people in different parts of the world. If a poertion of your DNA matches DNA found in Italy, then you have some Italian in you (or people who were in Italy at some point in history).

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My Ancestry.com DNA test matches exactly known ancestors and family lore. Plus it leads to very interesting "the rest of the story. I thought I would be more German/Scandanavian. But Brit won out

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Ancestry and the others all tell you their best estimate of where your ancestors came from, by matching your DNA to DNA from people all over the world. They determine what proportion of your DNA matches DNA found in people in different parts of the world. If a poertion of your DNA matches DNA found in Italy, then you have some Italian in you (or people who were in Italy at some point in history).

I'm no scientist but this seems really unscientific, especially in a globalized environment today where people migrate em masse from one part of the world to the other.

Also, doesn't this more or less suggest that people of different races are biologically different, if they can distinguish a group of people from a particular region based on DNA?

This goes 180° against decades of anthropology teachings where we've been taught that race is cultural and not biological...

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the 23 And Me test two years ago. It was really interesting to see exactly what my genetic make up is. My dad is hispanic. My mom is Irish. Aside from the last name, you'd never know I was anything but European ancestry. My dad hasn't been in the picture since I was a youngster, so I didn't really know anything about his family history. Through the DNA testing I learned that I am 25% Native American and 4% "mexican". Definitely wish I knew about the Native American when I was applying for college money!

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I just don’t care. I’m looking forward, and don’t have time to waste on the rearview mirror. I don’t understand why this is so popular either. It’s not like you can do anything about any of it. Big Grin
Is as if you typed the words in my head.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
quote:

I'm no scientist but this seems really unscientific, especially in a globalized environment today where people migrate em masse from one part of the world to the other.

Also, doesn't this more or less suggest that people of different races are biologically different, if they can distinguish a group of people from a particular region based on DNA?

This goes 180° against decades of anthropology teachings where we've been taught that race is cultural and not biological...
My explanation is unscientific but the whole process is very scientific and complicated to the point that it is nearly impossible to explain in simple terms.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My mom wanted to do it even thought my grandmother had traced us back to the Magna Carta....turns out grandma left off all the scots branches...we are an amalgamation of Europe and the British isles. Like we knew.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
quote:

My explanation is unscientific but the whole process is very scientific and complicated to the point that it is nearly impossible to explain in simple terms.

I'd say the process is mostly scientific, it is however the best we can do.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post