SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flags back to full staff reminder.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flags back to full staff reminder. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
We do sort of get used to the flag being lowered, I think. But I got a reminder last week that people DO pay attention to it.

I was traveling across North Carolina and took a break at one of the rest stops. As I walked toward the building, a lady approached me and asked simply and innocently, "Who passed away??"

I said, "The President... President Bush. It's a 30-day lowering when a President passes." In my inside voice I thought, "how does someone not know about his passing?" We chatted for just a moment, and went on our separate paths.

As I left the rest stop I saw her again, getting into a minivan... with Canadian license plates. I understood much more clearly then why she didn't know about the lowering, and I had great respect for her curiosity.

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i wondered why it was there as well. 30 days. Seem's somewhat ridiculous. Nobody is that important, and I mean nobody. Imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19255 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Nobody is that important, and I mean nobody. Imho.

Office and institution. Not necessarily the man.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My wife told me at 11:30pm as I was going to bed that he had passed. The next morning at my son's swim meet I noticed the flad at half mast as we were singing the National Anthem and afterwards asked the person mext to me why it was at half mast. Doh, but I was half asleep when my wife told me.

And yes, office and institution.

Posts: 11022 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the PSA...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8401 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

I said, "The President... President Bush. It's a 30-day lowering when a President passes." In my inside voice I thought, "how does someone not know about his passing?"

I know he died but I have to admit I didn't know about the 30 day flag lowering rule. It's not it's an everyday thing that a president dies.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Seems we had the flag at half staff for more days this year than full staff.

Gotten to be quite irrelevant.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
30 days for a former President seems within reason to me.

5 minutes for Whitney Houston is ridiculous.

While I don't mean to be heartless, I don't think the flag should be flown at half mast for any murder victims - even school children.

That is a symbol meant for people of national and public importance. Not figures important in popular culture.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

I said, "The President... President Bush. It's a 30-day lowering when a President passes." In my inside voice I thought, "how does someone not know about his passing?"

I know he died but I have to admit I didn't know about the 30 day flag lowering rule. It's not it's an everyday thing that a president dies.

Exactly. Heck, I don't think I knew about the 30-day rule until then.
My point was that I had made an incorrect assumption -- thinking *every* American knew about President Bush's passing, and assuming the lady I was talking to was American.

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I could never catch it right so I signed up on a web site to get e-mail notice for official US flag half staff notices. I expect several places do this but I currently use American Flag Pole and Flag co.

The first place I signed up on was an official government site but never worked.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My wife is pretty gullible and I like to mess with her for fun.
I told her the flag had to go back up at midnight per the official order and I would set an alarm clock...

I still don't know if she believed me or not but I raised it after she went to bed but before I did.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
We bring our flag down to half mast for so many (non) reasons, I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't just keep it there...
I agree it has become over used. I have great respect for the office of the President, and especially George H.W. Bush, but 30 days was unnecessary. IMO, many of the flag lowering should not be done, and like this most recent one, many are too long.

It happens so much, and for so long the significance of it has been greatly diminished.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post