SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have rotator cuff surgery? healing time?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have rotator cuff surgery? healing time? Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
On 4/29 this year I had surgery on my rotator. They had to put 5 anchors in to connect muscle and tendons. I have been in Physical Therapy since the second week of May. While my range of movement is now 90%, I still can't lift anything above shoulder height that weighs more than 2lbs. The doctor is saying it will take until January/February until I can function normally. It is very frustrating.
For those of you that have had similar surgery, how long did it take you to get back to normal?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I had a relatively major rotator cuff repair at 44. The doc (who’d been doing nothing but shoulders for the last twenty years at that point) said it was one of the handful of worst shoulder injuries he’d seen, but that I’d heal quickly as I was young. He was right.

It wasn’t a lot of fun at first, but at five months I was mostly back to 100% at work on the ranch. At six months I did trapeze while on vacation as it looked like fun.

Twelve years later I don’t heal nearly as quickly, and have become more careful…

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
Major surgery (replaced biggest tendon with pig intestine) back in 2002. Long time in PT. Used to be able to hit home plate from dead center field and was a pitcher. Today can't throw overhand 30 feet and can't shoot a basketball one handed from foul line. Range of motion is 100 percent but since muscle was cut to access rotator cuff, never got the strength back. Hope yours heals better.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be patient it takes time. My surgery was 2/18/21,put 4 anchors, debride all the junk and resect the AC joint.3 months of PT and I'm still only about 90%. It's tough to reach overhead with anything that weighs more then 10lbs. But it's 100% better than before the surgery.
Good luck to you.

Fan of Sig, Colt, S&W, Beretta, Browning, etc, etc.

Posts: 168 | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It's really going to depend on age and overall health.

I had rotator cuff surgery at 16 back when I played HS football (i.e. very fit). I was setting personal records in bench press in 5 months, and was right there on shoulder press too.

Fast forward to my current age and fatness. I dislocated my shoulder last Thanksgiving, and entered into physical therapy at a sports medicine place (i.e. higher goals than most PT places). It was April before I was even allowed to bench press girl sized dumbbells. I now have full range of motion, but bench press and shoulder press are 60% of what they were prior to dislocation. I continue to slowly regain strength, but it's slower than I would have ever dreamed.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23306 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I had my right side done in my late 40's, in August. I missed out on all of hunting season that year. It was 6 months before I could use a shotgun and return to semi normal life. You have to do all the PT and follow their orders. It's worth the wait. It takes a long time to recover and restore most of what you had.

A year ago in September, I dislocated my right (same) shoulder. I was scared big time I'd re-injured the rotor cuff. Thankfully I didn't. But that whole shoulder area will never be the same, and never be as strong. Be careful. Give it time. My best to you.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Mostly functional - six months.

Normal (assuming you will get back there) - One year.

If it gets back sooner that's great, but don't expect it.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, It is nice to hear how you healed time wise. I'm 68, and before the surgery the doctor had said it would be a long recovery and just be patient.
I see so many projects that need my attention and I still can't do them. I have a 23 year old son that is a mechanic and lives at home and I depend on him for a lot of things.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
63 when I had my surgery. Mine was torn, I could not lift my arm up more than maybe thirty degrees from straight down. Approximately three months so PT post surgery and I had probably most but not all of the range in movement that I had before the injury. About three years later I suffered a partial bicep tendon tear but I didn’t have surgery on that.

Biggest thing is that I have some strength loss when my arm is straight up, nothing I cannot deal with though. Depending what I’m doing there is some pain that is bicep tendon/muscle related.

Two things that stand out. The nerve blocker that they used during surgery takes at least twelve hours before it starts to wear off. Pretty unnerving (no pun intended) until you can move a finger literally a fraction of an inch and see it respond.

Post operative I was out of the sling two and a half weeks later. So there was progress.

Second, during PT at some point if you are like me you will get frustrated with your perceived progress. At one point I went in for a session with the thought that afternoon that I would sell off my bikes and have someone convert my four speed Pontiac to an automatic never figuring that I would be able to ride again or aggressively shift that car.

At that point my therapist said “Give me two weeks, you will see a difference”, she was right. At the three month point I was discharged from PT, the only instructions were no motorcycle riding or handgun Ning for one more month. I complied with those instructions.

Best of luck to you.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8119 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
It took 18 months for me to get to "little discomfort" and 75% use. That was 10 years ago. Never got back to bullseye form. Too much baseball and tennis long ago. I can't throw across the infield now.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I had surgery July 26.
Left shoulder Torn Labrum (3 anchors to reattach) torn and detached bicep tendon (3” incision so they could go in get ahold of it as it fell down inside my arm) reattached that.
Removed 1/2” off my collar bone & repaired the tear in my rotator cuff.

Due to the amount of scar tissue he found when he went in I was ordered to start Physical Therapy “passive range of motion” the day after surgery. I was pissed bouncing around in a car just after the nerve block wore off but I get it now. Wasn’t happy at the time. 7weeks of passive ROM and the last two weeks have been Active ROM.
Still no weights, no resistance training.
My surgeon is a fellow gym rat so we chat a lot and he was very clear about not fucking up his work by doing something stupid. His words…. I like him for that.
I have returned to the prison after 30 days on limited duty as we’re 65 officers short and they’re killing the staff with mandated overtime.
So I sit on suicide watches (one of my least favorite things to do) so at least one officer gets to go home .
But in 80 days I’ll be off the limited duty and back on full duty.
Hope it’s all healed up by then, I’m down to 10 months to go until I retire.
Anxious to get back in the weight room.
I had surgery on my right shoulder 5 yrs ago.
Stopped the heavy one rep lifts.
While it didn’t feel as strong as before there was no pain after 4 month.
This one is worse than my right shoulder as I waited too long dealing with ruptured disks and tendon tears in my elbow.
Guess the warranty is gone off ! LoL

Being released from recovery

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had both shoulders done, twice each. Plus a total replacement on the right side.

I hit physical therapy hard. It took over a year but I got most everything back.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I am also in the process. 8/19 was my surgery date. Also started therapy day after surgery. Sucks. Worst was at about 10 days for a week. Sling comes off at 6 weeks with no lifting for a long time. I am told 8 weeks will be spent gently strengthening all muscles except the ones they worked on. Then I can start strength training on my bicep. I am told 5-6 months for full recovery.

Definitely sucks wearing a sling on your dominant arm and learning how to wipe your ass with your left hand.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I had my monthly visit with the surgeon today. He is very happy with my range of motion. He told me to start lifting some heavier weights, but only if it feels right. Moved the visits to 6 weeks apart now.

Living the Dream

Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Had two of them, do the physical therapy, no matter how much it hurts. Feeling better at 6 months, at 1 year everything was beck to normal.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Bankart surgery in June of 2019. I was lifting weights 6 weeks later and back to full physical fitness in 6 months, lifting back to where I was prior to surgery.

It has much to do with PT as it does what you eat, and most importantly, what kind of shape were you in prior to surgery. I pushed hard in PT and was in peak performance prior to surgery. But it’s different for everyone. Genes, health, age, diet, PT, etc.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post