SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best ways to increase grip strength?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best ways to increase grip strength? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I'm in my early sixties. I use what I call the "clamp" method of grasping a pistol slide to rack it, as opposed to the "slingshot" method, which offers less purchase on the slide and which is- to me- awkward.

Recently, I have begun to feel only slightly less sure of myself when racking some slides. I want to get ahead of this, now that I have a sense of what will be coming my way, as the forces of entropy encroach.

I figured there would be more to it that buying a pair of those grip squeezy things that used to be in Charles Atlas ads many years ago.

I ran across the video below and these guys make a lot of sense to me. In the vid, they say that these latex things are only about ten bucks each, but that was 2018 and hey, whadda ya know? They've more than doubled in price. What a surprise. Roll Eyes

Any other suggestions?

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I had a lady friend who injured a wrist on some broken glass. She suffered some very severe lacerations. After her surgeries the physical therapist gave her a ball to squeeze. Was a little larger than a tennis ball but not as stiff. She had to squeeze that ball daily. At the end of therapy her grip strength was better than before the accident. So maybe see what physical therapists use.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29707 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Here's a good exercise for forearm (wrist power). You can make something similar at home.

Posts: 1564 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Guillain Barré devastated my grip strength and dexterity, and left my fingers numb.

I have recovered a good deal of the strength and some of the dexterity, with these squeeze balls:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072...dt_b_product_details

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done about the numbness; my safe-cracking days are over. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I had a lady friend who injured a wrist on some broken glass. She suffered some very severe lacerations. After her surgeries the physical therapist gave her a ball to squeeze. Was a little larger than a tennis ball but not as stiff. She had to squeeze that ball daily. At the end of therapy her grip strength was better than before the accident. So maybe see what physical therapists use.

I have a gel ball is what I call it. I just feels good in the hand. As soon as you grab it you don't want to set it down. Kind of relaxing and works on your grip.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fingertip push-ups. Seemed to work for me.

Posts: 104 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good phycial therapist is the best bet. I have had my share of PT over the last year.Racking a pistol involves more than grip strength.
Most of the grip exercises mentioned above apply to a Quarterback. Good luck

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Why am I remembering the Shake Weight episode of South Park?

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4790 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I train Brazilian Jit Jitsu (BJJ) 2-4 times a week and kickbox once a week. Grip strength and grip fighting are key attributes in BJJ.

I use dead blow hammer with my forearm rested at the edge of a table or arm rest and do curls.

If you have access to a couple of dumbbells or kettlebells, farmer's carry are great:

Another great exercise is pinching a weight between the tips your 4 fingers and tip of your thumb and walking around.

quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Here's a good exercise for forearm (wrist power). You can make something similar at home.

This is a good one! I made mine from 550 cord and PVC and use a carabiner so I can change the weight as I see fit.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
Back in Aug of '22 I crushed my left hand in an ATV rollover. After 9 steel pins came out I was recommended these by my hand doc. I am back at around 97% strength in that hand.

Amazon link

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A $1.25 pool noodle will do the same thing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
I second the recommendation for the squeezy ball (or pool noodle as an alternative) for grip strength. Wrist strength is a different issue and probably best served by simply asking a physical therapist or maybe googling for recommendations. I shoot left handed and I suffer from mild arthritis in both hands and severe arthritis in my right thumb (just turned 78). It makes racking a slide on my 226 both painful and difficult. In my case, the pain rather than a lack of strength is the issue.
Please let us know what you end up doing and how it works.

Posts: 1988 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:

I made my own homemade version. 1 1/4 wood dowel rod about 16" long with a hole drilled through the middle, and paracord tied to a weight.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Chinese Baoding Balls. So satisfying to hear the sound they make as you twirl them around your palm. They also make a chime if you shake them.
Google Search

Posts: 667 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Kneading a lump of clay and using all your fingers and thumbs works them naturally.

Do it until your hands are very tired.

You will see results in a few weeks and you will be less likely to get Repetitive Stress issues as you may from mechanical equipment.

It is also relaxing and stress reliving.

(learned this from making kneading bread dough)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43901 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Dynabee

Also a homemade wrist roller. link

I used to use these along with other strength training when I was racing motocross as a teenager. Something you can do while watching TV.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7263 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I use Ironmind's green egg, the Captains of Crush trainer and #1 grippers. I also use their "Expand your Hand Bands" to work your extensor muscles.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Had the same problem. Started doing dumb bell curls and it strengthened my upper body as well as my grip strength. Started with 10 pounds and moved up. Curls, shoulder shrugs, and triceps. All with the same dumb bells. Cheap to buy a couple pair of dumb bells.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this far into the thread and nobody has recommended frequent and lengthy masturbation!

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
quote:
a pair of those grip squeezy things that used to be in Charles Atlas ads many years ago.

I still have one (don't know what happened to the other one) and use it while watching the tube, seems to help

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post