SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just bought used kayaks. What do I need?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just bought used kayaks. What do I need? Login/Join 
Picture of Suppressed
posted
I just picked up two Wilderness Systems Pungo kayaks. One is a Classic and the other is a 120.

https://smile.amazon.com/photo...O7XkLTBIT2MpYhfyx8e9

https://smile.amazon.com/photo...pPp5Y2ZarZrhj5SqbtFR

https://smile.amazon.com/photo...YYWInqNi7D9YFsuaoYol

The trailer is a Load Rite with 1180 pound rating.

What do you recommend for personal flotation devices for two adults, a 15 year old boy and 11 year old girl? Should I get paddling vests or will regular life vests work?

I am going to replace the bungee material as the existing bungees are shot.

Are the seats decent? How about the oars?

I also am ordering a spare tire for the trailer.

I am going to buy two more kayaks. Can I just lay all four on their sides and strap them down or do I need to get the cradles?

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paddles
dry bag
PFD
throw rope

some to start

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Kayak stacker..uprights to lash kayaks on their sides.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy paddling vests, and dont be cheap. You may only need them once, but when you need them, you REALLY NEED THEM.

Add rescue whistles (cheap) and waterproof flashlights if you're ever going to be out around dark. Again, these are low dollar items. Cheap tinted safety glasses with a retaining strap are nice. I never care if I lose them in the water. Small dry bags for each paddler to put thier wallet/keys/phone/etc into. a larger dry bag for whatever else. This is all low dollar purchases. Hand pump for emptying the water out of the kayak, and as previously mentioned, a throw rope. Last, 4 small containers of really good sunblock. We use Blue Lizard and love it. Extra caribiners to attach stuff to the kayaks always seem to get used.

That should get you started. If you're going to paddle larger open water you'll discover other necessities, whitewater has it's own needs.

Last, find a way to learn and practice self rescue techniques. Sooner or later, you'll need to get back in your kayak and you wont be someplace that you can stand on firm ground.

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
PFDs - get paddling style, much more comfortable. As for brands, you really need to go and try on different types. Each person needs to find the proper fit for them.

Trailer - grease the hubs.
- For short periods you will probably be ok with the kayaks on their side but I would not do it that way myself. I would use cradles or build a rack. Since the strongest part of the kayak is the top deck you could build a 2 level frame on the trailer that would allow 2 kayaks to lay upside down on each level. Slide them in on the keel, roll them over, and strap them down.

I have a Tarpon 140 and I like the seat but seats a really a personal preference.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definately go try on paddling specific PFDs. I suggest Kokatat, Astral, or Stohlquist brands. Worth every penny. You will likely need to find a specialty store to find these.

Paddles are another item that are kind of use and user specific. Once again, you will probably need to seek out a paddling store.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I have a set of vests (Mustang Survivial), NRS rescue knives, hand pump(never used), throw rope(never used), gel seat pads, and some other items. Email if you are interested.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice kayaks. When we lived in Md, I had two, PFD’S are a personal choice make sure it is comfortable. I often chose not to wear it when on flat water but always had it nearby.

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I don’t see paddle float mentioned for self-rescue. That’s a necessity for sit-in kayaks.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I don’t see paddle float mentioned for self-rescue. That’s a necessity for sit-in kayaks.

Thanks! I never even knew they existed. I appreciate all of the responses.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Bag O' Money! ;-)

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on getting into one of the best activities you can do.
We've been kayaking for about ten years now and thouroughly enjoy it. However it's like guns, eventually you'll want more of them or different ones and before you know it your parking your car in the driveway because there's no room in the garage!

Seriously though, get proper fitting pfd's and learn how to get back into the boat if you flip out of it. There should be a local kayaking club nearby and they have group paddles and also offer instruction on some of the subtleties of paddling.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6322 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Hey, I have a set of vests (Mustang Survivial), NRS rescue knives, hand pump(never used), throw rope(never used), gel seat pads, and some other items. Email if you are interested.

I prefer the Ferber river shorty as a rescue knife, the pinch release of the NRS knives is hard to do when your hands are frozen and you’ve lost small motor control.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Kayak carts?

2 way radios?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
After buying a Sig, the next best money I spent on guns was on classes with Bruce Gray (OpSpec). Likewise, a class on kayak safety is very worthwhile. They will teach self-rescue, rescuing another kayak, towing, etc.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Paddling PDFs for sure, nothing is more irritating then the rub of a vest as you paddle. Since you have sit in kayaks hand pumps to remove water if you are tipped over. Dry bags, then when you are close to shore practice getting the water out of a swamped kayak and getting into it. There are great videos on it.....enjoy Wilderness makes a good kayak.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4837 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can send you a box of safety glasses mention above. 12 pairs of decent sun protection and who chairs of you lose them. Email in my profile

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post