SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question Re: Unusual PA License Plate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Re: Unusual PA License Plate Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
Here's a question for our PA members. Aside from the obvious damage, does anyone recognize this series of PA license plate? It's unlike any regular issue plate I'm familiar with and PA vanity plates ordinarily have the alphanumeric centered. I have no interest in identifying the owner. This is simply curiosity on my part. (In truth I'm also a bit surprised the PSP/PennDOT hasn't given the owner a courtesy reminder to have the plate replaced.) Thanks!

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Is that the new braille license plate?

quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Here's a question for our PA members. Aside from the obvious damage, does anyone recognize this series of PA license plate? It's unlike any regular issue plate I'm familiar with and PA vanity plates ordinarily have the alphanumeric centered. I have no interest in identifying the owner. This is simply curiosity on my part. (In truth I'm also a bit surprised the PSP/PennDOT hasn't given the owner a courtesy reminder to have the plate replaced.) Thanks!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that is the new "Run The Turnpike For Free" plate. No way they are getting s good enough picture of that to bill me.

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Not seeing anything like this under specialty license plates. This might be a "I washed my car everyday last year". Or like above, polished the paint off so it cannot be read.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1989 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That tag is “illegible “ and should be turned in and replaced.
When I was policing, I’d have pulled you over for that tag….even if it was out of state. I’d have politely told you and show you why and told you to get a new one.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11242 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A lot of plates are "wrapped", vinyl and they delaminate.

OP is addressing the "off center" characters.

Some "vanity/specialty" plates have characters off center to facilitate graphics, like in Flo-ridia..

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43803 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There's a ton of NY plates with the pealing problem as well.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We need to pay our inmates 18 dollars an hour to get a better product.

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Pennsylvania license plates are as beat up as our roads, it always seems like everybody’s plate looks like barely legible garbage here, you go to other states and their plates look brand new all the time.

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Looks like it might be a "Veteran" plate.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The coloring that's left makes me think of the DARE license plates, but those were justified to the left side of the plate and also had a DA prefix.

Maybe one of those railroad plates with a really bad color shift? I think their numbers are justified like that, but, again, they're alphanumeric too.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a large run of plates that have some piss poor/defective lamination. The plate was most like some sort special organization plate and there was some sort of logo on the left side.

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/VEHICLE...d-Organizations.aspx

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
That is an old Penn State alumni plate. Delaminated & partially broken. I’m surprised the owner hasn’t been cited for it.

Posts: 13793 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Saw a plate just like that, pealing, when I went for my afternoon walk. The plate had the normal seven characters but the paint or lamination was completely off.

As a police officer myself, I would definitely pull the driver over. As to whether or not they would get a citation (along with seizure of the plate) or just a seizure would depend on other factors.

Either way, the plate is seized, the driver given a receipt for the seizure which allows them to get another plate without cost.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
That is an old Penn State alumni plate. Delaminated & partially broken. I’m surprised the owner hasn’t been cited for it.
Either that or a wildlife preservation plate but I couldn’t find an example.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:
Saw a plate just like that, pealing, when I went for my afternoon walk. The plate had the normal seven characters but the paint or lamination was completely off.

As a police officer myself, I would definitely pull the driver over. As to whether or not they would get a citation (along with seizure of the plate) or just a seizure would depend on other factors.

Either way, the plate is seized, the driver given a receipt for the seizure which allows them to get another plate without cost.
You could do that all day.

Posts: 45329 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I know my MB club plate has my preferred numbers that I selected as embossed, but there is also a printed MB on the paint. So part of this plate was possibly printed on the laminate, and thus, is laying in a Walmart parking lot.

Posts: 11345 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
From your responses, it appears I spied a very poor condition PA "special organization" plate. As always, SIGforum members came through. Thank you for your help solving the mystery.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, I think it’s a Penn State plate based on the blue “Penns” in the upper left. To the right, above the “81”, if you use your fingers to spread and enlarge the pic, looks like a Nittany Lion head. I’d bet the background is Mt. Nittany.

Or not. Smile

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
quote:

Yep, I think it’s a Penn State plate based on the blue “Penns” in the upper left. To the right, above the “81”, if you use your fingers to spread and enlarge the pic, looks like a Nittany Lion head. I’d bet the background is Mt. Nittany.

The Penns across the top is just Pennsylvania. It could be any of the special organization plates. The organization would be in the open spot to the left of the numbers. The organization are not embossed like the letters/numbers.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post