SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starbucks to Close 8,000 Stores for Racial Bias Training
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starbucks to Close 8,000 Stores for Racial Bias Training Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Actual secret footage:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLp8pjqwlsc

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Starbucks class is next after the Firefighters is over.

This class had me in tears.

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so I never go to Starbucks because their coffee sucks, but did this actually do anything?

I didn't notice an increase in deranged people roaming the streets foaming at the mouth because they didn't get their mocha grande burned latte

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24137 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Howard Schultz wants to run for President....
Roll Eyes

Howard Schultz is leaving Starbucks, will consider 'range of options'

June 4, 2018

Starbucks (SBUX) founder Howard Schultz will step down from the board and his role as executive chairman on June 26, according to a memo sent to employees.

He will become the chairman emeritus.

“I’ll be thinking about a range of options for myself, from philanthropy to public service, but I’m a long way from knowing what the future holds,” Schultz wrote.

Schultz, 64, joined Starbucks in 1981 when it was a small Seattle-based roastery. While traveling in Milan in 1983, he encountered Italian coffee bars, where he experienced the “theater and romance of espresso.”

He purchased Starbucks in 1987. Today, the company operates more than 28,000 stores in 77 countries.

Starbucks, even before its initial public offering in 1992, was one of the first companies to offer healthcare benefits to both full-time and part-time employees, known internally as “partners.” The company also offered equity in the form of stock options.

More recently, the company committed to hiring veterans, refugees, and “opportunity youth,” kids ages 16 to 24 who come from lower-income backgrounds. Starbucks also offers college tuition for its employees.

Here’s the full memo:

Dear Starbucks partners—past and present,

I write to you today enjoying a French Press of my favorite coffee, aged Sumatra, and feeling so many emotions. Pride. Nostalgia. A heavy heart. But mostly, I sit here feeling a tremendous sense of gratitude. For years I’ve had a dream to build a different kind of company, one that has the potential to enhance lives and endure long after I was gone. Thanks to you, my dream has come true.

On June 26, 2018, I will officially leave Starbucks and become chairman emeritus.

It seems like yesterday that I first walked into the Pike Place store, stepped across the threshold, and was swept into a world of coffee and community. That moment began the journey of a lifetime. Not just for me, but for so many of us.

Who could have imagined how far we would travel together, from 11 stores in 1987 to more than 28,000 stores in 77 countries. But these numbers are not the true measures of our success. Starbucks changed the way millions of people drink coffee, this is true, but we also changed people’s lives in communities around the world for the better.

When I think about what Starbucks stands for, I think about how Our Mission, values, and guiding principles have come to life: access to healthcare benefits for full- and part-time employees, more than 20 years before the Affordable Care Act. Bean Stock starting in 1991, which turned employees into partners who could share in the company’s success. Our ethical sourcing (C.A.F.E.) practices that have helped support farmers and nurture the land. Our years of community service and the C.U.P. Fund for partners in need. Our volunteer efforts in New Orleans and our annual Global Month of Service. Free college tuition through the College Achievement Plan. Our commitments to hire veterans, Opportunity Youth, and refugees. Policies like parental leave and pay equity. And our partners’ countless acts of kindness that occur in our stores, offices, roasting plants, and distribution centers every single day.

Many of you also know that I set out to build a company that my father, a blue-collar worker and World War II veteran, never had a chance to work for. Together we’ve done that, and so much more, by balancing profitability and social conscience, compassion and rigor, and love and responsibility. Because of your creativity, your hard work, and the love that you have poured into the company, Starbucks today is widely embraced and respected.

As I prepare to step away, I’d like to humbly remind you not to lose sight of what matters most: your fellow partners and our customers. During all my years at Starbucks, in every weekly leadership meeting and quarterly board meeting, I always imagined two empty chairs in the room. One was for a partner and one for a customer. When I had to make a decision, I asked myself if the choice would make both proud. Today, I ask that you continue this tradition, and let the answer guide you. I promise the two chairs will serve you and the company well.

A few more thoughts I’d like to share…

Please remember, Starbucks is at its best when our stores and offices are welcoming places for everyone. So stay true to our reason for being: inspiring and nurturing the human spirit through a sense of community and human connection. As you adhere to our core purpose, do not forget to innovate around it. Never embrace the status quo. Instead, have the curiosity to look around corners and the courage to push for reinvention. Change is inevitable, and the world has become a more fragile place since we first opened our doors. Amid the chaos, try to listen with empathy, respond with kindness, and do your best to perform through the lens of humanity. Do not be a bystander. Instead, choose to be responsible for what you see and hear. No person or company is ever perfect, so learn from mistakes and be forgiving of yourself and others. And when goals are achieved, remember: success is always best when shared. And yet… success is not an entitlement; it must be earned every day through hard work and teamwork. If you strive to be the best version of yourself and bring out the best in others, your dreams will come true again and again, and Starbucks Mission, values, and guiding principles will endure.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news...board-202712064.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24137 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Politics aside, from my experience Starbucks has always taken care of it's own.

I worked Security at one of their major roasting plants, and the atmosphere was great. They had employee events, giveaways, you name it. Also one of the very, very few places I worked that included temp workers and contractors (like security) in those events as "part of the family".

Hopefully that tradition carries on, regardless of all this.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Starbucks’ Howard Schultz Slams Trump, Calls Tax Cuts ‘Reckless’

Speculation swirls that he could be mulling a presidential bid....

Howard Schultz sounds a lot like a guy running for office.

The outgoing Starbucks Corp. Chairman -- who has thrust the coffee chain into thorny social issues in recent years and took thinly veiled jabs at Donald Trump during the 2016 election season -- laid out a centrist vision for the U.S. during a television appearance on Tuesday, adding to speculation that he’ll mount a run for the White House in 2020.

The Trump administration’s tax cut was “reckless” in the context of rising national debt, he said on CNBC, while also knocking the “vitriolic behavior” from the White House. Schultz raised concerns about the brewing trade battle with China and called for a ideology-free approach to tackling the issues facing the U.S.

“We need to do things that restore the promise of the country and our standing around the world,” Schultz said in an interview on CNBC. “We have to move the ideology out and do what’s best for the American people.”

Schultz, 64, announced late Monday that he’d be stepping down from Starbucks later this month, fueling speculation that he’s mulling a political career. In the memo announcing his exit, Schultz said that he is “thinking about a range of options for myself, from philanthropy to public service, but I’m a long way from knowing what the future holds.”

Schultz, who declined to be “nailed down” on a potential run for office, said the partisan unrest dividing the country is a serious threat. While criticizing the Trump administration, and the divisiveness that has infused U.S. politics, Schultz also lamented that “some Democrats” had moved too far to the left. He said that tough problems like immigration reform, gun control and spending on programs like Medicare and Medicaid need to be fixed with a centrist focus on domestic issues.

“It’s not about trade wars with China, it’s not about building a wall, it’s about getting our house in order,” he said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...arizing-u-s-politics

-rduckwor

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Somebody that cedes control of their business to bums wanting to cede control of this country to bums. What could go wrong? Roll Eyes

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
Somebody that cedes control of their business to bums wanting to cede control of this country to bums. What could go wrong? Roll Eyes

What could go wrong?
Let's make sure this Schultz guy never becomes President so we won't have to find out.

-rduckwor

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:

What could go wrong?
Let's make sure this Schultz guy never becomes President so we won't have to find out.

When I read "Schultz," all I could picture is this:

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I wish the OP's original title stopped at the number 8,000

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he quits his job, he can spend more time in the Yoop visiting his old school, Northern Michigan University.
They fall all over his ass when he graces us with his presence.
Wherever you are, Howard, just stay there. And STFU.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Oh, so Starbucks is closing for one day to give their employees moral guidance?

That’s nice. Chick-fil-A is already doing that. It’s called “Sunday”.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8978 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Took 2 months to come up with that, huh?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Way back when I was working in the Navy Yard in DC, and we are talking pre-2000 here, I had a hard time in the basement restaurant at break time trying to get a black coffee. The server, and black woman, looked at me like I was the spawn of satan, and pointed at a hand-written Sharpie sign on the wall by the menu board. It read, as I recall, please do NOT ask for 'black' coffee at this counter - it MIGHT be offensive to some of the staff.

'Oh', I replied,' if the coffee is THAT bad I'll have a nice cup of tea instead.'

tac

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Way back when I was working in the Navy Yard in DC, and we are talking pre-2000 here, I had a hard time in the basement restaurant at break time trying to get a black coffee. The server, and black woman, looked at me like I was the spawn of satan, and pointed at a hand-written Sharpie sign on the wall by the menu board. It read, as I recall, please do NOT ask for 'black' coffee at this counter - it MIGHT be offensive to some of the staff.

'Oh', I replied,' if the coffee is THAT bad I'll have a nice cup of tea instead.'

tac

Fabulous!

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Payback Big Grin

"A New Jersey federal jury awarded a white Starbucks manager $25 million after finding the coffee giant fired her because of her race. Starbucks terminated Shannon Phillips in 2018 after two black men were arrested at a Rittenhouse square, Philadelphia, store, the Daily Mail reported. Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson were waiting for a third person to arrive for a business meeting. The men were refused access to the bathroom since they did not purchase anything. An employee called 911 on the men, and they were detained by police, the Law.com reported.

The arrests caused widespread protests, and Starbucks temporarily closed 8,000 stores so employees could participate in racial-bias education training.

Phillips argued that Starbucks only punished white employees over the incident as a way to repair their public image. The black supervisor of the Starbucks, Paul Skyes, reportedly did not receive any disciplinary action from the company. As a regional manager, Phillips oversaw over 100 stores across Philadelphia, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland and had been with company for 13 years.

She was reportedly instructed to place a white manager of 15 years from another store on administrative leave due to allegations of racial discrimination. Employees claimed that black employees were making less than white employees, but the manager had no control over wages. Phillips pushed back on suspending the manager since she had never seen him display discriminatory behavior.

One week after the incident Phillips was fired, according to Restaurant Business. She claimed she was fired since Starbucks needed a scapegoat after the company said the “situation is not recoverable.” The jury awarded her $25 million in punitive damages and $600,000 in compensatory damages."

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...her-for-being-white/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Starbucks has deep pockets, I wonder how much of that she will end up collecting. However much, I hope she doesn't sign an NDA and let's everyone know how awful of a company they are.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post