SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Horseback riding - I can ride, but 'not' like this
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horseback riding - I can ride, but 'not' like this Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
Wow! Just Wow! An incredible horse and an incredible rider. If you've never ridden before, let's just say this is way beyond the abilities/capabilities of most mere mortals. And that little mare is indeed some kinda special. Enjoy... Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I know where the gas and the brakes are, and where the steering wheel is, but this stuff is on a whole 'nuther level.

Although it's probably more the horse than the rider.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Impressive...Reminded me of Stacy Westfall who does it bareback and bridleless!

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKK7AXLOUNo

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Reining and cutting are both really cool to watch. Cutting shows off the horse and the rider better than anything imo.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Good for them. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a huge fan of Cutting Horses and their championships, and I have I attended a few of the National Championships.

My Lord, they are amazing. The horse has to do it on their own. I just love to watch them.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A well trained horse that has bonded with its owner/rider will respond easily to subtle leg and voice cues. My cutting quarterhorse Beetle back in the mid '80s in Tennessee did just that for me after a low flying fighter jet spooked him and his hackamore broke. He took off at warp speed but calmed and slowed down to a stop with just such handling.

I miss those days....

That said these "teams" in the posted videos are at a whole other level.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
A well trained horse that has bonded with its owner/rider will respond easily to subtle leg and voice cues. My cutting quarterhorse Beetle back in the mid '80s in Tennessee did just that for me after a low flying fighter jet spooked him and his hackamore broke. He took off at warp speed but calmed and slowed down to a stop with just such handling.

I miss those days....

That said these "teams" in the posted videos are at a whole other level.
One time while out in Scottsdale visiting friends, I went to an event one evening and had an opportunity to chat with a couple reigning guys. I grew up riding and can sit a horse fairly well (fingers crossed Razz) but I learned all kind of things I'd never really given a lot of thought to from these guys. What a terrific experience.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an opportunity to ride reining at the Georgia State level competition in Perry, Ga 20+ years ago. About 25 years ago I bought a 2 year old that had been a Quarter Horse racer but his speed index wasn't good enough to win steadily. What was I, as a rookie, thinking buying a 2 year old race horse.
Fast forward 2-3 years and after doing Western Pleasure (Horse looks like he is rolling peanuts with his nose if done right) for a few years I trained in reining on the same horse.
Reining is deliberately fast and slow and requires discipline and trust between the horse and rider. It’s so much more fun than any other type of riding competition I’ve been in. A good horse gets smoother the faster he runs and mine was very fast and smooth.
I never placed at State as I was riding against my teacher and his peers. They were awesome and I was still a reining rookie at best. We had some brilliant moments of Rate and lead changes, spinning and awesome sliding but, unlike me, the pros could put that all together consistently.
My best ride was my last. I got through the pattern very clean and had only my 4 spins to the left to have an awesome ride. I was mentally patting myself on the back for doing so well and queued my horse too far back and instead of starting the spin he took a step back, breaking the pattern. We nailed the 4 spins, knowing that we were out of the competition due to my misqueue but I was a VERY Happy camper as we had done well. The crowd acknowledged same.
I mostly quit riding when our daughter was born but I do miss the reining.
Billy

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post