SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    gunbroker advice ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gunbroker advice ? Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
This
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Make sure you're clear on the final charges before bidding. Some GunBroker sellers like to include hefty shipping charges and/or credit card fees.

Make sure you look closely at the photos and description, especially on used firearms. Sometimes, either intentionally or just through a mistake or ignorance, items will not be as described.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentlemen- as usual very good advice.

Really appreciate it.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
okay tell me about auto bid. -- apparently someone has set that feature

The item says $500 but rejects by bid of $505

but then when i go back the new price is $505.

Curious why the highest price isn't apparent

i have bid the price up $45 and still haven't had a bid accepted by the system lol

-------------------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I like GB for local finds that i can go pick up. I've only had a few out of state tranfers but if i can't find it locally. I probably don't need it.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Someone else has a higher auto bid. Your bid wont be accepted until you top the other bidder.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problems. Got some good deals. Spent considerable time at first following auctions and learning the ropes. I once received a case of ammo that was soaking wet. The boxes inside were falling apart from the moisture and it had not rained for weeks. Called the seller, he immediately sent a replacement case and another box with attached shipping label to return the wet ammo. Carefully check the feedback.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

i have bid the price up $45 and still haven't had a bid accepted by the system lol

Just like doublesharp said.

Another way. That gun is sitting at $500. Someone might have already put their high bid of say $800 in for that gun. If no one puts in any other bids the guy gets it for the $500 not his high auto bid of $800. The thing is though that since he already has a (hidden auto) high bid of $800 it will take $805 in order for someone to take the gun from the $800 dollar bidder.

This is always how I do it. Lets say a gun I really like is sitting at $500. I am hoping to get it for the current price of that $500 but I am actually willing to go as high as $800. I then put in an auto bid for $800 so that means I will get it for $5 over the highest bid all the way up to $800. Once someone bids over $800 I am automatically dropped unless I up my current bid.

It's a good way to not get emotionally involved and pay to much.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I only use auto bid late in the action -last few hours or last day. Never know when some one will list a similar item with a reasonable buy now price and I don’t want to skip that auction because I’m waiting for the other auction to close in 3 days.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

That just means someone has already bid more than you want to.

Doing it that way gets "auction fever" going. "Ah, what's ten more dollars?" Rather than you outright saying "Oh heck no, screw that" and no longer bidding.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

auction ends tonight - I was bidding in the $700s and $800s

gun went up past $1,100.

Yikes - No thanks.

----------------------------------

posted Hide Post
finally sold at $1,556

out of production Ruger revolver

-------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
That's the way these auctions go for "Rare" or in demand items. In the last few minutes of the auction, prices sometimes explode.

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize the OP's item has sold for more than he wanted to pay. However, I second the suggestion that other potential GB buyers pay attention to the time remaining and ending time. I missed a revolver I was interested in. Ending time was Eastern zone. Time remaining was correct but I assumed the ending time was Mountain Daylight. Nope.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
If the seller has a vague "actual shipping" cost, contact them and ask what the ACTUAL cost would be to ship to your zip code.

Very Important for many reasons.

It's a red flag for me when any seller does not clearly state shipping terms and details up front. Shipping a gun is a pretty straight forward process, especially for an FFL holder, and even a private seller should have it figured out in advance of posting an item for sale, not after the fact.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post