SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ideas for Selling a Used Car (2004 GTO)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for Selling a Used Car (2004 GTO) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
All,

SWMBO has given permission to buy a replacement for the 2004 GTO provided the GTO sells first. For the obvious value of a higher return to sell privately, trading the car is not an option for me.

I know there's Craigslist (and I'll list it there) with the high expectation for the scammers there. Should be easy and obvious to weed through them. But, if one other site were to be paid to use, which site would be recommended?

Do any sites pull from another (thereby increasing the viewing base) or, would I need to pay to post on Cars.com, Autotrader, etc.?

BTW - if you're interested in a 04 GTO, I do have an email addy (Para, if this last sentence is verboten, I'll delete as required. V/R)

TIA

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I know autotempest scans the major listing sites, but don't know of one that goes the other way.

Best of luck with the sale.

What's the replacement plan?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15394 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I know autotempest scans the major listing sites, but don't know of one that goes the other way.

Best of luck with the sale.

What's the replacement plan?

Less that a year old Hellcat Charger (which is still well within warranty) or, a loaded Super Bee (loaded to the level of the recently discontinued SRT).

IF I get real lucky, we may be able to pull off a new Hellcat loaded exactly as I want it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dodge is currently offering quite a few incentives on the Hellcats.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the car is in good condition, check out the ‘Bring a Trailer’ site. You can do a search and find out what previous sales did to determine if it is worth selling there.

It’s definitely an enthusiasts site, and the GTO may do well there.

Posts: 993 | Location: Northwest NJ | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D-Man:
If the car is in good condition, check out the ‘Bring a Trailer’ site. You can do a search and find out what previous sales did to determine if it is worth selling there.

It’s definitely an enthusiasts site, and the GTO may do well there.

Thank you D-Man!!

posted Hide Post
If it is in good condition and low miles, for it's age, you could try BringATrailer or carsandbids. I sold my 2008 SL65 on BaT last fall and it brought waaayyy more than I expected it to. I have also bought a couple cars off of Carsandbids and had good luck there as well.

Of course, there is a qualification process that takes a little time, you have to take a lot of pics and they expect you to disclose any issues. BaT costs 99 for the ad for the seller and I think C&B is 49 or 59. On either site you can set a reserve on the auction.

You will get more exposure there from folks looking to buy.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With a car like a GTO, I would use the local forums and Facebook groups dedicated to the LS(x) platform.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by will347wax:
With a car like a GTO, I would use the local forums and Facebook groups dedicated to the LS(x) platform.

Calguns can have more than a few flakes but, might be worth a shot.

Facebook - ain't going there.

Do have Offer Up but not sure about selling a $14K car there which people won't look at what is in / on it, condition, mileage, etc and want to pay $5K for it.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Bring A Trailer is where you want to be.
It will take a couple months from start to finish. Shoot quality photos, shoot video of a cold start and driving/acceleration.
Be honest. Participate in the forum for your auction on a daily basis.
It will be worth it.
My E46 BMW sold on BaT last December for about 30% more than I expected.
I am prepping another one for BaT by the end of summer.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Do an obviously honest ad on Craigslist. Use all 24 pictures and give a thorough description. Don't put a phone # in just email with the cl anonymous script. you will be able to tell the bs from the real deal buyers. Cost is $5 and it works.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ebay

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Www.carsandbids.com

Its like bring a trailer but for more modern enthusiast cars.

They have sold a few GTOs.

https://carsandbids.com/search/pontiac/gto

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
If it is in good condition and low miles, for it's age, you could try BringATrailer or carsandbids. I sold my 2008 SL65 on BaT last fall and it brought waaayyy more than I expected it to. I have also bought a couple cars off of Carsandbids and had good luck there as well.

Of course, there is a qualification process that takes a little time, you have to take a lot of pics and they expect you to disclose any issues. BaT costs 99 for the ad for the seller and I think C&B is 49 or 59. On either site you can set a reserve on the auction.

You will get more exposure there from folks looking to buy.

BAT is the way to go, 99% of what I see on there sells for higher than market value. Your reach of people is much better on BAT.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, the 2004 GTO was the LS1 while the 2005 and 2006 were the LS2, correct?

I think there's a forum called LS1 GTO or something like that. Back in 2007 I was interested in an LS2 GTO but they were selling for more than I could afford. The enthusiasts forums can be good but I've often seen people avoid their classifieds to sell as the supply there is high.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Bringatrailer may be your best bet. They seem to pull a lot of views and cars sell higher than you would locally. GTO's are getting collectable now and you should be able to fetch high dollar if in good shape.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7085 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Here's the GTO page on BaT.
https://bringatrailer.com/pontiac/pontiac-gto/
Good research available, on that page. Hover over any of the sales points to go to that specific car's auction.
Good luck.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now trading it to a dealer, is usually not a bad option. You save paying sales tax on the trade in amount (on the new vehicle). And, right now dealers can't find cars, so they're actually paying pretty good money on used cars, if it's something they'd resell on their lot.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck selling on FB Marketplace and the local garage sale groups. Just sold my sons car on it. But I get why you are not digging FB

Posts: 5360 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
You're going to have to ask Para to change your screen name to MOPAR SCAT Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post