SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ikea Juneteenth menu with watermelon, fried chicken sparks outrage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ikea Juneteenth menu with watermelon, fried chicken sparks outrage Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Past time for some people to get a life.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

And guess who sold us watermelons? It wasn't the Amish.

Tweren't Mormons!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, we had "Soul Food" in DFAC. Fried Chicken, Catfish, BBQ Ribs, Greens, Mac'n cheese, etc. No one complained, in fact it was the most popular day of the week to go to there.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

And guess who sold us watermelons? It wasn't the Amish.

Tweren't Mormons!

Can you mix watermelon chunks in green jello?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All I know is that if some of your collards get tangled up with your mac'n'cheese, well, it isn't the worst thing that ever happened.

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Oh man. You can’t let foods integrate! I don’t want my dishes stuck in a food jungle….

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Oh man. You can’t let foods integrate! I don’t want my dishes stuck in a food jungle….

Food TOUCHING other food on a plate!!??? Peas and meatloaf in congress? The forbidden intimacy of noodles and spinach? Asparagus and filet mignon carousing? Turkey and cranberry caressing? Sir, have mercy! Give voice no more of these unspeakable loves! Spare the memories of suffering past and present of toddlers everywhere brought to tears by dinner plate miscegenation!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
quote:

Food TOUCHING other food on a plate!!??? Peas and meatloaf in congress? The forbidden intimacy of noodles and spinach? Asparagus and filet mignon carousing? Turkey and cranberry caressing? Sir, have mercy! Give voice no more of these unspeakable loves! Spare the memories of suffering past and present of toddlers everywhere brought to tears by dinner plate miscegenation!

THEY'S MISEGENATED!!!!!

posted Hide Post
What I always find hilarious about the periodic fried chicken and watermelon outrage is that any white southern household would be serving and eating the exact same menu on any summer picnic or Sunday afternoon lunch. Epic Sunday lunches at my Granny’s included home fried chicken, black-eyed peas, collards or turnip greens, homemade rolls, mashed taters, relish tray, icewater pickles, sliced maters, canteloupe, watermelon, coconut or chocolate pie or banana pudding. Anyway, you get the idea…

Posts: 404 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I can't be offended by food menus and I can't be offended by any name/label anyone chooses to try to apply to me. I know who and what I am and no one else is going to define me. The makeup of my character does not depend upon the opinions, observations or judgements of others.

We've always had people in this lfe who walk around with a chip on their shoulder, just looking for an excuse. But, now we have untold nubers of these people- entire social groups- pulling this whiny shit. Well, get outraged, or, I should say, stay outraged. Me? I'm gonna have some of that fried chicken, andd I'll have some watermelon, too, merely on principle.

You can intimdate weak coroporations, but you cannot intimidate us.

posted Hide Post
I still laugh at the watermelon because my Daddy always told us when we were little that if ate all that watermelon it would make us pee the bed. He teased us with that way up into our teens-my friends are witnesses….

Posts: 404 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
What if instead they were offering just four whole fried chickens and a Coke or dry white toast?

Posts: 5749 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

THEY'S MISEGENATED!!!!!

They ain't even old-timey.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
What if instead they were offering just four whole fried chickens and a Coke or dry white toast?

Jake! Elwood!

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
They still owe you money, fool.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just don’t know what all of the fuss is about.

They didn’t even serve Colt 45 or Olde English 800, did they?!

That’s what the outrage should be over!!

Posts: 3493 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The ghost of Billy Dee Williams haunts this thread.

Which is really weird, 'cause he ain't dead.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Gotta get over it sometime, ya bunch of bawling little babies.

Perhaps we can eradicate watermelons from the planet.

The chickens have to stay, though.

quote:
They used to feed slaves watermelon
Picnickers, too! Cub scouts, even!! Evil! EVIL!!!!

Let's see- I'm trying to think of a food which would "offend" me- something horribly shocking. Some food which by its very presence offends my entire race.

thinking...

thinking...

that was my thought.... they complained about the watermelon but not the fried chicken?

EDIT: And Para.... I was thinking of Billy D. and his part in "under cover brother" as I was typing this.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

THEY'S MISEGENATED!!!!!

They ain't even old-timey.

Are you talkin’ about a certin grup or yur constitiency?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post