SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ikea Juneteenth menu with watermelon, fried chicken sparks outrage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ikea Juneteenth menu with watermelon, fried chicken sparks outrage Login/Join 
posted
https://nypost.com/2021/06/22/...cken-sparks-outrage/

An attempt to honor Juneteenth has backfired spectacularly for one Georgia Ikea.

An Atlanta branch of the Scandinavian furniture chain has sparked outrage with what employees are calling an intensely problematic menu curated to celebrate the holiday, which marks the emancipation of the very last enslaved Americans.

“To honor the perseverance of Black Americans and acknowledge the progress yet to be made, we observe Juneteenth on Saturday, June 19, 2021,” begins an email acquired by TMZ, which was sent to employees at the branch last week. “Look out for a special menu on Saturday which will include: fried chicken, watermelon, mac n cheese, potato salad, collard greens, candied yams.”

The selection, including items that have historically been used to demean African-Americans through stereotyping, resulted in multiple employees calling out of work in protest, according to a local news channel.

“You cannot say serving watermelon on Juneteenth is a soul food menu when you don’t even know the history. They used to feed slaves watermelon,” an anonymous employee told Atlanta’s CBS 46. “It caused a lot of people to be upset. People actually wanted to quit. People weren’t coming back to work.”

As many as 33 workers didn’t show up in response, CBS reported, causing the store’s manager to apologize via internal email.

“She said, ‘I truly apologize. The menu came off [offensive],’” the employee recalled.

But this wasn’t sufficient for forgiveness, and the worker said the controversy could have been easily avoided if only people of color had been included in the team that chose the menu. “None of the co-workers who sat down to create the menu, no one was black,” they added.

The following day, the store manager told CBS a new, revised menu was released. The updated version included collard greens, cornbread, mashed potatoes and meatloaf. And Sunday’s menu? “Fried chicken, mac ’n’ cheese, collard greens,” the employee said.

Ikea did not return The Post’s request for comment.

Posts: 12738 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gotta get over it sometime, ya bunch of bawling little babies.

Perhaps we can eradicate watermelons from the planet.

The chickens have to stay, though.

quote:
They used to feed slaves watermelon
Picnickers, too! Cub scouts, even!! Evil! EVIL!!!!

Let's see- I'm trying to think of a food which would "offend" me- something horribly shocking. Some food which by its very presence offends my entire race.

thinking...

thinking...

Posts: 107722 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those crazy Swedes! But, I’ll tell ya, the menu for the blacks (insensitive as is) sure sounds a lot tastier than that old meatloaf and taters peddled to the white folks. I’m hungry!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
WTF? No kool-aid?

I bet that menu tastes a hell of a lot better than Ikea's meatballs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23314 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You are a bad man

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's hard to find good soul food.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34138 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Chitlins =

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Can’t use what they were served, what they harvested or anything that they touched during slavery times. I’m curious what menu would have been acceptable and why.

So these days, I’m assuming that giving cotton clothing as a gift to a black person is racist now? I don’t know much about black history or slavery. Or African slavery. Or Korean slavery. Or Jewish slavery. But somehow I’m expected to know what would be racially insensitive across the globe. When do I get to be outraged? Every culture or society or religion has been subject to some abuse at some point in time. What a joy to live in an age where every culture society religion will call foul at every insensitivity.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I guess Ret Lopsta is out of the question?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34138 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
What a joy to live in an age where every culture society religion will call foul at every insensitivity.
Not everyone, no. Just a select few who are fucking up the planet.

Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
This is all so complicated. I drove by the Juneteenth celebration in Ocala the other day and a roadside truck was selling watermelons. No one was outraged.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I love watermelon and fried chicken, they were a few waffles and syrup away from getting me interested in this whole juneteenth thing. Guess I’ll just keep ignoring it.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wish IKEA would just say to them “shut the fuck up you perpetually offended children”. And leave it at that. You cannot please those who look endlessly for things to be offended over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21125 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

quote:
They used to feed slaves watermelon

Picnickers, too! Cub scouts, even!!

Eek

Holy smokes! They fed picnickers and Cub Scouts to slaves, too?!?!

Razz

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
You cannot please those who look endlessly for things to be offended over.

Amen, brother.

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
WTF? No kool-aid?

Excuse me? It's purple drank.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
There is tremendous power in grievance but it is only the power we give it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29726 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
WTF? No kool-aid?

Excuse me? It's purple drank.
Naw, can't be serving no grape Jolly Ranchers, Sprite, and codeine cough syrup at a family event.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23314 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
There is tremendous power in grievance but it is only the power we give it.
Well, they're drawin' zero amps from me.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Soon no one will care about any of it. If one is irredeemable, why care about redemption?

89 years. That is the span from the founding to the effective end of slavery in the US. 89 years. All of this grief and strife for 89 years to abolish a preexisting economy in part of the country. 89 years and a civil war to cleanse what tyrants across the Atlantic created to line their royal pockets.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29726 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post