SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling veterinarians and experienced dog owners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling veterinarians and experienced dog owners Login/Join 
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted
My mom took my lab to her house today while I was working and she was watching my kids. Dixie was running around and some how injured the inside of back left leg. It looks like a small abrasion with maybe a little puncture. It is right on her ankle joint. She seems to only be in pain when she goes from standing to laying or vice versa. Walking doesn't seem to be an issue. If it was just a little bit of pain I wouldn't be worried but she is panting noticeably harder than normal even when laying. There isn't any swelling to the injured area.

I'm planning on seeing how the night goes and reevaluate if she needs to go to the vet.

Any advice?

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Ripped dew claw?

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
No it isn't the dew claw the injury is more interior

posted Hide Post
The panting would concern me more than the limping, especially since you didn't see how it happened. BTW: My Brittany is also named Dixie. Smile

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Not a vet, but have owned a lot of dogs including livestock guardian dogs that sleep rough and tend to get into a lot of stuff.

I'd keep an eye on Dixie, but if it doesn't look like a snake or nasty insect bite I'd expect it to settle down. I'd palpate to make sure there's nothing broken (though if I understood the OP it doesn't sound like there is), clean with soap and water, then put some Bag Balm on it and call it good other than keeping an eye on here.

Dogs bang themselves up once in a while just like people. Unlike many people though, they don't usually whine about it unless it is a big deal.

Good luck to Dixie and you!

ETA: Need to work on my reading comprehension skills - completely missed the panting. Palpating gently should tell you if she is panting from pain. I'd definitely keep an eye on the panting and see whether it slows down. If it doesn't, and especially if it increases, I'd consider heading to the vet sooner rather than later.

Posts: 6925 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
I palpatrd the area and nothing seems broken. We have moved her onto our bed for the night and I have called the vet and left a message. Hopefully I will be able to get her in first thing in the morning. Assuming things don't get worse and we head to the emergency vet tonight.

What is bag balm?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
It's an ointment. Does a very nice job.

My Dixie passed away last year.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Dogs generally recover and heal fast. But like you, tomorrow morning, reevaluate and if for nothing but peace of mind, have a vet take a look.

If you think it's some kind of bite, I've used benedryl with good results. According to petmed online, "The standard dosage for oral Benadryl is 1 mg per pound of body weight, given 2-3 times a day. Most drug store diphenhydramine tablets are 25 mg, which is the size used for a 25 pound dog." Seems to help in several ways. One of which is help calm a dog. I've known dogmen to only give Benadryl for snake bite. I know from experience though, antivenin is around $800 per 10ml at the vet. I hope it doesn't come to that. You'd likely know by now. Hang in there Dixie !!!

Posts: 4728 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
One other thing that comes to mind is your narrative of positional pain. My thought is that it might could be something more than soft tissue trauma and the scrape might be from her way of trying to get to it (?). Not always the things we see turn out to be the ultimate issue.

Bottom line is there's little to no way to diagnose the problem over the Internet. Wouldn't hurt to have a vet take a look if Dixie is not her usual self or close to it in the morning. Timing would be a consideration too for me, depending on my dog's condition. Wouldn't won't to wait and roll into the weekend. Had to use an after hours emergency vet once. Cost $150 just to walk in the door before anyone looked at and sewed up my dog.

Posts: 4728 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Given the info you've provided, I'd avoid giving her any medications and get her in to the vet first thing tomorrow. They usually open early for drop-offs, so do that and leave them your number.

If it's a puncture, my only real concern would be something penetrating the joint or into the common calcaneal tendon (i.e., the achilles heal). Either will require antibiotics plus or minus exploratory lavage.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
Dixie has an appointment at 11 with the vet. She seems to be in better shape this morning but we will wait and see.

posted Hide Post
If it were my dog, she'd go to the vet ,too.

I'm perfectly comfortable with being called overly cautious when it comes to loved ones....jmo

Posts: 1274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
Got finished with the vet she thinks it is just soft tissue damage. Got sent home with some pain meds.

Dixie was doing much better this morning and even better by the time we for to the vet at 11.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Good Girl Dixie !!! Smile
Surprised antibiotics weren't given ... IF there was a puncture wound.

Seems whenever I go to the vet with something like that, they ALWAYS give pain meds. I don't use them unless the dog is in quite obvious pain. The most common pain meds are Carprofen/Rimadyl. It does NOT agree at all with one of my dogs. Bowels become loose within a couple of days of administering. I also don't like what I find about NSAID type meds in dogs, and so err on the side of caution when giving pain meds. For example, Carprofen/Rimadyl ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carprofen

If that isn't the pain meds Dixie is on, research. If she doesn't REALLY need them, I either wouldn't take a chance or administer sparingly. Sometimes I think my vet (yours may be different) gives those automatically. The mark up is huge and it's easy to rationalize prescribing.

Get all better soonest Dixie !!!

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Good news. My first thought was that it sounded like it might be a bite of some kind.

Glad to hear all is well and your pup is on the mend.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug) is used more for it's anti-inflammatory effect than the "pain" control. If we control inflammation, we tend to get shorter healing times, etc. It's always fun when I prescribe an NSAID and they come back in a week with no real improvement and a bottle o' medicine that hasn't been used. Wink

Just about everything has potential negative side effects, but for the most part they are very safe. That said, there are over 16K people who die every year from NSAID complications, so it's always wise to err on the side of caution. Dark, tarry stool, vomiting, loss of appetite, etc? Yeah, stop that medicine and call me.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post