SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does This Look Like a Torpedo to You?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does This Look Like a Torpedo to You? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
All this submarine talk lately, so this caught my eye. I know nothing of seafaring vessels, military or otherwise, but when I saw this screencap from the Russian sub wreck captioned a "torpedo", it gave me pause. If it is a "fish", it certainly has a BA dorsal fin. Even I think it's one of the lateral propeller pods from that class of submarine. Who writes this stuff?

A torpedo at the wreck site. (Institute of Marine Research Norway/Ægir 6000 )

Fox News article

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Is that a torpedo or the pod for a towed array that has sat on the vertical fin of other submarines?

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Never mind, I see that that particular submarine did not have a towed array pod.

Definitely one of the pods on the horizontal stabilizers. As to the author being an idiot...well...media.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Here's a schematic...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the 'author' of that article is an idiot. That is NOT a torpedo. As the above diagram shows, it is a stabilizer pod. From what I've heard, they were used for 'creeping maneuvers' whereby the sub could use the small props instead of the large main prop? Something like that (I've never been a submariner). However, it should have been plain as day that this device was NOT a torpedo. Heck, even a 30 second Google search would have revealed what it was.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US Navy Gunners Mate here, from many years back. Way too short for a torpedo. NEVER saw a torpedo from ANY navy that was that short.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post