SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vietnamese Restaurant Forced To Remove 'Offensive' Sign
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnamese Restaurant Forced To Remove 'Offensive' Sign Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
That's just Pho Keene Great! Roll Eyes

When I open my own restaurant, it will be named Pho Q. Razz

https://start.att.net/news/rea...wsweek/category/news

Vietnamese Restaurant Forced To Remove 'Offensive' Sign

City officials in Keene, New Hampshire, have forced a restaurant preparing to open to take down an exterior sign with the business’s name, because it sounds like a profanity.

According to Associated Press, Keene City Manager Elizabeth Dragon told the business owner, Isabelle Jolie, that the sign had to be removed because it could be seen as offensive and she didn’t get the correct permission.

In comments to NBC Connecticut, Dragon said: “I contacted Isabelle, the restaurant operator, and asked her to take down the sign. The lease that she has with the city requires that she gets permission from the city before putting up any sort of signage, posters or lettering, anything that would be seen from the exterior of the building.”

The restaurant in question—which is located in a public building next to Keene City Hall—will serve Vietnamese food and has been named “Pho Keene Great” by the owner.

Pho is a popular Vietnamese soup—consisting of broth, rice noodles, herbs and meat—that is pronounced “fuh.” When followed by the city’s name, the two words become a play on the well-known expletive "f***ing."

Dragon noted that she wished Jolie all the success with her business but told New Hampshire Public Radio that she had to “strike a balance.”

The restaurant is set to open in March, although Jolie and city officials are still trying to come to an agreement over the issue. Jolie has said that she doesn’t think the name is offensive.

In a Facebook post on Pho Keene Great’s official account, she addressed the situation writing: “City manager has deemed our business name as offensive and a permanent sign with our business name, will not be allowed. The [Pho Keene Great sign], is a temporary sign, and it was requested that we take it down due to her opinion that it is offensive name and a contract violation as it relates to City ordinance.”

“Please note,” she continued. “The City is not delaying our opening over the name issue. We just can't have a sign with "Pho Keene Great' on it.”

In December, a university restaurant in Clemson, South Carolina, sparked outrage after using a sign many considered to be offensive to promote a chicken sandwich named after the Mexican border city of Tijuana.

The sign contained the phrases “big enough to feed a caravan” and “so good it should be illegal” with the last word underlined, the Anderson Independent-Mail reported.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The restaurant in question—which is located in a public building next to Keene City Hall—will serve Vietnamese food and has been named “Pho Keene Great” by the owner.

How about not giving your business a double entendre name?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Keene - they are supposed to have a great burger joint. Now I've two reasons to visit.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keene City Manager Elizabeth Dragon

I find her last name offensive. We all know the meaning of the term "Dragon Lady".

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Jolie has said that she doesn’t think the name is offensive.

Nor do I. But, I do find it crude and stupid.

How about just giving it a normal name? What a crazy thought.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Lame.

There are already Pho Q restaurants, fwiw. There's at least one in Houston.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Because freedom, that's why.

Don't like it, don't go there.

What we need is 100x less worrying about what others do in their homes and businesses.

Crass or not. Their business, their choice.

This is America, FFS.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been to Keene, New Hampster, for a wedding. They won't have much competition for Vietnamese food especially if it's pho king great instead of tasting like the Vietnamese version of Panda Distress.

The biggest surprise in Keene was my friend (also a Texan) had BBQ catered for the wedding. She assured me it was good and she was correct. I was at a table full of Texans and we all liked it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up just south of there. Even in the 1960's everyone knew a bunch of liberal turds lived there. The towns population had a reputation as acting like they were just a bit smarter than the rest of us local hicks.

Even now, Keene gives New Hampshire, a beautiful state, a bad name,

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Our city has an annual Pho competition called Pho King Cook-off. The news covers the event but they are not allowed to say the name.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
We have a “Pho Kim Long” near us. It makes me chuckle.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Gallup, NM

Are you Fu King Kidding me?

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

How about not giving your business a double entendre name?

How about we let people name their business whatever they want? How about these weenises stop being babies, crying about every stupid thing that offends them? How about when those weenises do bitch and moan, we tell them to consume excrement, and die?

I think the vast majority of pho places have retardedass names, and yeah, they're pretty childish sounding, but regulating stupid business names I don't think is an essential function of government. I'm sure the town has more pressing concerns than whether or not a business has a crude name that makes 12 year old boys giggle, and they should focus on those issues. Otherwise it's just government jacking off.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
There is a Pho King restraunt in Austin. Its pretty good. Pho is definitely a soup that I need to learn to make. Buying the chicken feet has been something of an hurdle. In the meantime I will chill and me and girlfriend will enjoy the vietnamese Phuc Long jasmine tea. And the Horny Goatweed tea.

https://www.phuclong.com.vn

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Lol, when I was a cop, we got a new restaurant named, What the Pho, in town....we spent EVERY night shift doing security checks on that place...
Me:404 to Wilson”
911:“Wilson, go ahead”
Me:“Security check of What the Pho.”....

It’s the little thing sgs...if you are so offended by stuff like this then you should pull up your big girl panties and take your dolly elsewhere

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
How about these weenises stop being babies, crying about every stupid thing that offends them?

Yep.

And these same fuck heads are offended by

quote:
The sign contained the phrases “big enough to feed a caravan” and “so good it should be illegal”

Makes me want to open a restaurant with a sign "Fuck You If You Don't Want To Eat Here".

What a bunch of pussies.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Oddball for the win.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Makes me want to open a restaurant with a sign "Fuck You If You Don't Want To Eat Here".

I'd eat there.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Lol, when I was a cop, we got a new restaurant named, What the Pho, in town....we spent EVERY night shift doing security checks on that place...
Me:404 to Wilson”
911:“Wilson, go ahead”
Me:“Security check of What the Pho.”....

It’s the little thing sgs...if you are so offended by stuff like this then you should pull up your big girl panties and take your dolly elsewhere

I had no idea there's a pho joint in Wilson. I'll hit it up the next time I'm there.

And on the topic, seriously, every one and their uncle who has a pho restaurant names it something like that. It's how it goes. Puns are funny.

Plus, how many Americans know that it's pronounced "fuh" and not "faux"? Few, I suspect, so the pun is lost more often than not.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Because freedom, that's why.

Don't like it, don't go there.

What we need is 100x less worrying about what others do in their homes and businesses.

Crass or not. Their business, their choice.

This is America, FFS.

Yep. What you Pho Keene said.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post