SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driveway sealer guy came today... and in less than 30 minutes:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driveway sealer guy came today... and in less than 30 minutes: Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
After telling nomadic driveway sealer guy "Yes, I would like you to seal my driveway" back on July 4th weekend, he came by today. Tonight really. 6 hours from Thunderstorms. And when finished, within 30 minutes, my son has walked poor Pete the dog across it, and the neighborhood feral cats have all signed their name (or mapped their route) on the lower section.

I need a beer.

Assuming it's dry to the touch by the time the storms hit, will I be ok? Do I need to wait until it stops raining + two days for it to cure properly before driving on it? Driveway nomad didn't think so. But I'm pretty sure he was motivated to say whatever he thought would play best to my ears.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
An itinerant driveway sealer probably poured used oil on your driveway. If so, rain will begin to remove it right away.

Never, ever hire someone to do work on your home who does not have a legitimate business.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Nomadic driveway sealer guy is an excellent description of many of the ones I have met over the years. Most will stop at the house (we have a fairly long asphalt circle drive) with the very tired story that they just finished with another job in the area and they just happen to have enough sealant in their tank to do our driveway and will happily do it at a discounted price. I've never taken them up on it because they never seem particularly credible. Plus the pricing always seems to be about the same and not a "deal".

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Always look for South Carlonia plates. If so his last name will be Williams or Spurlock. If from Travelers Rest SC you have been scammed. Also beware of slick looking dump trucks and trailers with small asphalt spreaders. Not to mention new pickup trucks loaded with Chinese shop Equiptment. These people are Gypsys.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's dry to the touch, you should be ok if it rains.

I use a guy that has been in business for 30 years. I couldn't do it myself with the stuff from Lowe's for anywhere near the price he charges me.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
... the very tired story that they just finished with another job in the area and they just happen to have enough sealant in their tank to do our driveway and will happily do it at a discounted price.

Yep. We had this guy stop by too. Except dealing with my wife was a new experience for him.

Our guy gets about half-way done, then knocks on the door, tells my wife that the driveway is going to take more sealant than he anticipated, and it's going to be an additional $$.

My wife looks him in the eye and says: This is your business. You quoted me a specific price to do my driveway. If you miscalculated, that's your problem, not mine. I expect the driveway to be done for the original price or I'm calling the police. Big Grin

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just had ours done by a local guy and we were told not to drive on it or walk on it for 48 hours unless absolutely necessary.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
This guy is legit. Been around for years. But his business model is to roam from house to house. I think the material is probably ok. The timing and his schedule keeping is questionable. And my neighborhood animals are NOT cooperating.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Nomadic driveway sealer guy is an excellent description of many of the ones I have met over the years. Most will stop at the house (we have a fairly long asphalt circle drive) with the very tired story that they just finished with another job in the area and they just happen to have enough sealant in their tank to do our driveway and will happily do it at a discounted price. I've never taken them up on it because they never seem particularly credible. Plus the pricing always seems to be about the same and not a "deal".

Very similar to what happened where I work, except it was an asphalt "contractor" who had some left from a job and wanted to repair some rough spots in front of our building. We checked them out and found they were itinerant and had been doing the same scam all over town.

Posts: 2713 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
An itinerant driveway sealer probably poured used oil on your driveway. If so, rain will begin to remove it right away.

Never, ever hire someone to do work on your home who does not have a legitimate business.

And don't buy meat from some guy in a ratty pickup with a nasty cooler who "just happens to have an order a neighbor didn't want"...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Credible guy with a legit business is in for:

Quality sealer = $3-4/gallon.

Decently cleaned and crack repaired driveway = 5 gallon per 100 sq ft.

Good trustworthy employee = $40 per hour pay, insurance, bennies.

Truck and gear on site = $100 per hour.

Prep work: pressure wash drive, blow dry, fill cracks.

Seal work: 300 sq. ft. per hour (experienced two man crew).

A quality crew will have three guys. One on the pressure wash, one on the blower and broom, and one filling cracks. When they seal, one guy will run the tank or hose and two will run squigee or brooms. They will be slow and meticulous on the cleaning and prep, and haul ass on the sealant. This kind of crew can sometimes - but not always - do a complete driveway in one day, start to finish.

This set-up will usually give you a seal that lasts five to seven years. They will guarantee the work, and you will be able to find them in the phone book or online. You should be able to find examples of their work around town, and references. They will have a local number, not some unheard of prefix on a burner phone.

If your set-up doesn't look something like that, ask yourself why. Ask yourself how. What part of the process are they missing? Did they skip the cleaning or filling cracks? Because sealer doesn't stick to dirt and sealing an existing crack only insures that the water that does get in, can't get out. Did they cut their sealer? Because if you cut it 50/50 with diesel, it still leaves a nice dark coat that will last . . . for a few weeks. Did they hire illegal laborers? Because if they did, they can't get them insured, and guess what happens if they get hurt at your house?

There's a reason this work is expensive, and there's also a reason why there are people around who will "do it" for half the price.

Posts: 10811 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Nomad looking for work? Get the F off my lawn!!!

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
So it had about 6 hours to dry. It's absolutely down-pouring now. Man I hope it is "set" enough to handle it....

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
These people are Gypsys.
The ones around here all seem to be Irish Travelers.

Posts: 6795 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
A quality crew will have three guys. One on the pressure wash, one on the blower and broom, and one filling cracks. When they seal, one guy will run the tank or hose and two will run squigee or brooms. They will be slow and meticulous on the cleaning and prep, and haul ass on the sealant. This kind of crew can sometimes - but not always - do a complete driveway in one day, start to finish.

It takes me a full day, start to finish, working alone. It helps to do some of the prep work the day before, but even if you wash it the day before you will have to blow it again before you start.

30 minutes? No way.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24642 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I never buy services door to door.

Period.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Our neighborhood streets were professionally chip-sealed by the county a few years ago. About a week later, guy pulls up in a pick-up, with a company name on the truck that was not the same as the contractor who did the street work. Said they had some left-over material on their big truck after doing the neighborhood streets, and offered to do my gravel driveway with it for cheap (Oh really, the truck left a week ago). Neighbors who have had this door-to-door chip-seal job find that a few (two or three) years later, it has potholes in it because it is so thin. Nothing like what the county did to our streets.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
This guy is legit. Been around for years. But his business model is to roam from house to house. I think the material is probably ok. The timing and his schedule keeping is questionable. And my neighborhood animals are NOT cooperating.

If he really is legit he should warranty his materials and work.

If the seal he did is so thin, poorly prepped and applied that a house cat walking on it completely removes it, I doubt he will warranty the job. Hopefully I am wrong.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My neighbor owned a large paving company, one of his brothers did sealing on the side, did my drive for $250.00 7 years ago. My neighbor closed his paving company and came over to tell me he'd get my drive sealed for $800.00!! Very neighborly! I was pissed. wife showed him the cancelled check from his brother, he lowered it to $500.00, we agreed. He never did the job!

Late last year a gypsy came by, difference was that he lived in the area, had a legit business of sorts. I'd learned a lot from me neighbor and this guy knew what he was doing. $400.00 later, cracks were sealed, drive coated. Still looks good after a Summer of 100+ degrees evey day.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had several guys in the paving business tell me that seal coat is totally useless beyond the cosmetic value.

Chip seal is a different animal, but messy as heck.

If it really helped extend the life of the asphalt, why don't you see county and state road crews out painting it on the highways?

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post