SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Japanese Kamado clay cooker (Green egg)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japanese Kamado clay cooker (Green egg) Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
We received one that was flown back to the states from Japan at least 40 years ago and is well used. But still in pretty good condition. The internal "pot had some cracks in it. This is a the part that is permantely cast into the unit. There is a piece (Cup) that sits on the pot that is an extension that also has some cracks but is in tact. So pulled the cup out.
Used some refractory cement and did some repair on the pot. Seem's like it will be sufficient. Needs to cure. Then need to heat it up once before using it for food.

I think a wire basket is a good idea to hold the Charcoal as has been discussed but obviously not require as it was never design for one. I really do not want to spend $80 for a basket. Think I saw one made by Charbroil or similar at WM recently. Any thoughts?

Thanks

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19108 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some on Amazon for the egg's for $45. I guess if it fits and helps keep the coals from direct contact with the ceramic it might help add lifespan to your 40 year old egg.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I think they are called the “Kick Ash Basket” and I think I got mine on Amazon. They work GREAT. You are gonna love the ceramic grill!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post