SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lets say you have as an example $400,000 in cash
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets say you have as an example $400,000 in cash Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Serious question: Do you own a house? Is it paid off?

Getting into the house you really want in an area you really want to live in, and having it paid off is a nice boost. No rent or mortgage for the rest of your life. Just property tax, and maintenance which you can largely do yourself.

$400k will buy a lot of house in some areas, although not much in other areas.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Minimal risk and willing to wait on the return: Boeing

The ABSOLUTE WORST advice is to put it into a single stock,k no matter what the stock is.

Diversify, Diversify, Diversigy.

Look into low cost ETF's that contain literally thousands of stocks.
But first, know your tolerance for risk.

While I agree not to put all in one basket, why did you focus on just the first one?

Did you consider the 3, 5, and 10 year historicals for Boeing? Once the software issue is resolved, their stock will return to previous values.

It doesn't matter, you never put all of your eggs in one stock. Always diversify. You really need to be in at least 20 stocks in different sectors in order to be diversified and even then one shouldn't have all of their money in the stock market only.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Pay off house and any other debt. Stick a chunk of what remains (figure minimum 12 months of living expenses) into a savings account for "shit happens". Then invest the rest as recommended by a competent financial advisor, likely in a combination of some ETFs and an IRA.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First step- pay a fee only certified financial planner to build a financial plan to address your particular financial needs and goals.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
What is your tolerance for risk and time frame? How much are you willing to lose if your investment goes south and still sleep well at night? 2%, 10%, 20%, 50%?

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The markets have been much more volatile than normal this year, largely due to the coronavirus and subsequent economic emergency brake slammed on. It remains volatile due to changing sentiment regarding future effects of the pandemic on business.
An even more worrisome source of future instability is the potential election of Biden in November, possibly including Democrats taking over both houses of Congress.
Because of these historic uncertainties, and the rather surprising current high levels of stocks, I am pulling out around 20% of stocks into cash, at the recommendation of my financial advisor, in expectation of being able to pick up some bargains in the next months or end of the year.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
first, you need a place to live. If that is covered and paid for then you need income to survive. If that is covered then I would invest some of it in a Vanguard account. Invest based on your age, risk aversion, etc. I personally would invest in a piece of property that fit my personal taste for a place to go or stay for periods of time that offered the things I wanted when I went to it. Just spend some $ on things that moved you forward in your future plans as they progress. Should be all set at that point. Also put an estate plan in the works. Good luck.

Imho a financial planner is not needed unless you just wish to make them rich at your expense.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Might depend upon what stage of life you are in, your education, risks you are comfortable with current financial situation. The answer can change monthly.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I went to cash this spring as the markets were rocked by the KungFlu. I have been an investor for most of my life, but this economy scares the crap out of me.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
A diversified investment basket across multiple ETFs. Based on the risk profile and your investment timeline.

- So many factors to really look into and understand prior to deciding where to invest. Without knowing the full story it is really hard to suggest specifics.

Random Thought

A select few pharmaceutical research/production companies come to mind.

------------------
Some folks have suggested physical retail goods, watches etc... If you could foresee the future these are great ideas. Problem is TBD how things will turn out and liquidity isn't all that good.

Living debt-free is really nice, so ask folks have suggested paying off loans, bookies is a good way to go.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just buy a bunch of amazon stock and become a millionaire in a few years.

Or put it into SPY and wait forty years or so for a little growth.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Pay off house and any other debt. Stick a chunk of what remains (figure minimum 12 months of living expenses) into a savings account for "shit happens". Then invest the rest as recommended by a competent financial advisor, likely in a combination of some ETFs and an IRA.

Big negative on that first one. Have you seen the mortgage rates recently? They are at/below 3% You take $200-$300k off the top to pay off your mortgage and you aren't earning a thing on that money and only have $100-$200k to invest. Plus depending on other deductions, taxes if may be deductible or get you over the $12/24k std deduction and be partially deductable.

I'd rather invest the bulk of it, in something that would historically earn more than 3%.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Big negative on that first one. Have you seen the mortgage rates recently? They are at/below 3% You take $200-$300k off the top to pay off your mortgage and you aren't earning a thing on that money and only have $100-$200k to invest. Plus depending on other deductions, taxes if may be deductible or get you over the $12/24k std deduction and be partially deductable.

I'd rather invest the bulk of it, in something that would historically earn more than 3%.

It depends how you look at it. If you pay off a $300k mortgage you have an extra $1300 a month (the payment) in your pocket each month. So it saves $15.6k a year in expenses (That's equivalent to making around 5.5% on your $300k plus whatever additional % of whatever tax bracket you're in. It's real easy to invest money each month, when you have no debt.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ There is a HUGE peace of mind when you walk into your paid for home, especially when you go to sleep at night and don't ever even think about not being able to make those monthly payments ever again.

That's priceless.

You're young, healthy, making money, life is good. Then you or your spouse gets sick or dies, or disabled, and you no longer have the money coming in like you did before. You can no longer make the house payment, you're fighting cancer and have that worry too.

A paid for home is priceless in more than one way.

All you have to do is keep up the taxes, which can be quite minimal depending on where you live, as well as insurance. Again, depending on where you live, that can be a very low amount of money.

Even better is having a paid for home, and since you have that, you have money to save and invest, and you have money available to weather the storms of life.

Yep, the storms of life. They come to all of us, some get their asses handed to them by the storms of life.

A paid for home is like a lifeboat.

Good luck to all of y'all.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:. . . .$400k will buy a lot of house in some areas, although not much in other areas.

Maybe a one bedroom condo in San Francisco.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The markets have been much more volatile than normal this year, largely due to the coronavirus and subsequent economic emergency brake slammed on. It remains volatile due to changing sentiment regarding future effects of the pandemic on business.
An even more worrisome source of future instability is the potential election of Biden in November, possibly including Democrats taking over both houses of Congress.
Because of these historic uncertainties, and the rather surprising current high levels of stocks, I am pulling out around 20% of stocks into cash, at the recommendation of my financial advisor, in expectation of being able to pick up some bargains in the next months or end of the year.

Makes sense. Politics and economics are always dovetailed.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^^^^ There is a HUGE peace of mind when you walk into your paid for home, especially when you go to sleep at night and don't ever even think about not being able to make those monthly payments ever again.

That's priceless.

You're young, healthy, making money, life is good. Then you or your spouse gets sick or dies, or disabled, and you no longer have the money coming in like you did before. You can no longer make the house payment, you're fighting cancer and have that worry too.

A paid for home is priceless in more than one way.

All you have to do is keep up the taxes, which can be quite minimal depending on where you live, as well as insurance. Again, depending on where you live, that can be a very low amount of money.

Even better is having a paid for home, and since you have that, you have money to save and invest, and you have money available to weather the storms of life.

Yep, the storms of life. They come to all of us, some get their asses handed to them by the storms of life.

A paid for home is like a lifeboat.

Good luck to all of y'all.

My comments were based on ROI, not on how it feels, but if you are extremely risk adverse, than comfort over returns may be important to some.

All of this is purely philosophical anyways, because we don't have the right information to actually make a suggestion, the only person that would, is a financial planner that has made a risk tolerance assessment and was aware of his goals/desires/emotions for investments.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:. . . .$400k will buy a lot of house in some areas, although not much in other areas.

Maybe a one bedroom condo in San Francisco.

Maybe a teardown in the tenderloin. $400,000 doesn't buy much in SF.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

It depends how you look at it. If you pay off a $300k mortgage you have an extra $1300 a month (the payment) in your pocket each month. So it saves $15.6k a year in expenses (That's equivalent to making around 5.5% on your $300k plus whatever additional % of whatever tax bracket you're in. It's real easy to invest money each month, when you have no debt.

That seems...circular.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
"Robbed" is such a harsh word. Maybe "found"?

Buy a San Fran condo? Wouldn't that just buy fractional ownership?

Index funds? I'm thinking it is a bad time to invest in index funds. Maybe I'd slowly enter balanced funds, max out 30% exposure to equities.

Huge opportunities await the patient investor.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post