SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lets say you have as an example $400,000 in cash
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets say you have as an example $400,000 in cash Login/Join 
posted
Lets say you have as an example $400,000 in cash that you could invest, what would you invest it in today?

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What kind of annual Return On Investment (ROI) are you expecting and risk you willing to take?

Minimal risk and willing to wait on the return: Boeing
Moderate risk and willing to wait: land (cause you know, they ain't making anymore)
High risk and no wait; loan shark. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Invest in yourself by Education and/or training in a skill set that will make you more employable, or a higher income, or more in demand.

That, and be out of debt.

That shouldn't take up the $400K.

The rest? Very good question. Waiting to see what else is advised.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone is different and has different goals and age is an important consideration, so there is no one answer fits all.

Personally, I feel that nothing safe (Bond's, CD's, is paying enough to get locked into one long term).
Right now I'd hold a lot liquid and wait for a dip in the stock market and/or real eastate market and perhaps buy both (half and half) on a dip. Whether it be individual stocks, or 3 different funds.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

The ABSOLUTE WORST advice is to put it into a single stock,k no matter what the stock is.

Diversify, Diversify, Diversigy.

Look into low cost ETF's that contain literally thousands of stocks.
But first, know your tolerance for risk.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Hookers and blow.

I had to get that in, but on a more serious note:

One of the absolutely best things you can do for yourself is to make sure your immediate access accounts are at a level that keeps you from having to make poor decisions due to a shortage of ready funds, such as putting off replacing bald tires and sliding into that Mercedes in front of you that stopped short on a wet road. Many times in my youth I had to pick the best of several bad choices because I couldn't afford a good one. Having a bank account with a comfortable level of cash available is liberating in many ways, and the benefits of getting a good nights sleep cannot be overstated.

Now if you and/or your spouse are in the habit of spending every available penny (my first wife tried to do that twice over), or if your sole motivation to get up and go to work is because you're broke, putting it in a harder-to-extract place may give a better long-term result, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with maintaining a $100K (or so) checking account balance.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Pay off all debt.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If I was under employed and had a skill or trade, I would use it to start a business.

If I was gainfully employed and had only a modest amount of spare time, I would use it to buy rental properties in places where the people are nice, but the property is affordable. Utah, Idaho, Indiana.

If I were gainfully employed but had lots of spare time, I would invest in stocks, each carefully researched and understood.

If I were gainfully employed but had no free time, I would dollar cost average into a 5 or 6 low cost Exchange Traded Funds, for example VOO, VTI , VNQ, and a few bond indices.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Hookers and blow.

Finally!
I’m a bit disappointed this took as long as it did.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's say you robbed a mob outfit and need to change your identity...

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Let's say you robbed a mob outfit and need to change your identity...

Robbing the mob?

Then you better be in the Witless Protection Program.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Certain luxury goods are also doing quite well. Rolex steel sport watches, Chanel leather handbags, etc.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

The ABSOLUTE WORST advice is to put it into a single stock,k no matter what the stock is.

Diversify, Diversify, Diversigy.

Look into low cost ETF's that contain literally thousands of stocks.
But first, know your tolerance for risk.

While I agree not to put all in one basket, why did you focus on just the first one?

Did you consider the 3, 5, and 10 year historicals for Boeing? Once the software issue is resolved, their stock will return to previous values.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes a big difference depending on where you are in life and what other assets you have. Retired and living on some level of fixed income, then conservative & swan (sleep well at night). In your thirties with a good job, something riskier that’ll offer a better return over decades. Adjust accordingly for in between life stages. Since no one can predict the future, you pays your money and takes your chances!

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Bitcoin, everyone gets rich off that.....

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I would go to the Gold Nugget Fremont St Las Vegas, find a roulette table and put $200,000 on Red, one spin.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Buffalo in the third race at Pimlico. Sure bet.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
One word. Plastics.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Pt bullion, maybe a basket of energy stocks. The real best answer is probably wait, see if the 4th quarter results are a blood bath/how the stocks get around the election, and if they drop, put it in an index fund and forget about it.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would do a 50/50 split between Vanguard's U.S. Total Stock Market Fund and U.S. Total Bond fund. If I had any debt, I would pay that off first.

Posts: 343 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post