SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Caffeine shot: Coke bets "Coke Plus Coffee" boosts soda
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caffeine shot: Coke bets "Coke Plus Coffee" boosts soda Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
I'm curious how this drink tastes? It's a little hard to imagine.

Coca-Cola thinks it may have found a new drink that will give soda sales a shot of caffeine: Coke Plus Coffee.

The company introduced the canned and bottled product in Australia last year, and has since rolled it out to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. It did not say where it would next introduce the drink, but CEO James Quincey said during a call with analysts Wednesday that "early results are promising."

The version introduced in Australia has more caffeine than a regular Coke, but less than a cup of coffee, according to the company.

Coca-Cola is trying to find ways to keep people interested in its namesake brand, even as it works to adapt its lineup of drinks to reflect changing tastes. The efforts come as the world's largest soda maker faces growing concerns about sugar consumption, with the United Kingdom, Mexico, South Africa and several U.S. cities implementing special taxes on sugary drinks.

Such health concerns have prompted Coke to work on reformulating certain drinks to have less sugar or marketing existing diet drinks more aggressively.

In the second quarter, for instance, the company said that strong growth for Coca-Cola Zero Sugar in North America helped lift its sparkling soft drinks volume by 1 percent. The higher sales come after the company changed the name to make clearer the drink doesn't contain any sugar.

Before, the drink was just called Coke Zero, and the company said not everyone knew what that meant.

Diet Coke, which has been struggling for years, is also showing improvement, the company said. The familiar silver cans were recently revamped to be taller and slimmer, and the drink was offered in different flavors. Although sales volume for Diet Coke dipped 1 percent in the quarter, the company said pricing lifted revenue from the brand.

As for Coke Plus Coffee, Quincey noted that the company has tinkered with it, including "dialing up" the coffee cues so the aroma is stronger when it's opened.

For the three months ended June 29, Coca-Cola earned $2.32 billion, or 54 cents per share. A year earlier the Atlanta-based company earned $1.37 billion, or 32 cents per share. Results got a boost from a $42 million gain related to discontinued operations.

Removing one-time items, earnings were 61 cents per share, a penny better than expected, according to analysts surveyed by Zacks Investment Research.

Total revenue for the quarter slipped to $8.93 billion as the company refranchised bottling operations, but still beat forecasts for $8.54 billion.

Coca-Cola shares rose 2 percent to $46.29 in Wednesday trading.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/ma...s-coffee-boosts-soda

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Didn’t they offer a similar, vile tasting product several years ago? I’ll swan that I tried something along those lines that came in a little (maybe 8 oz) can.

Yeah. Coke Blak. Yuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Bl%C4%81K

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I like Diet Coke, I like iced coffee. I wonder if I'll like the combination.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Sounds absolutely disgusting. Frown

I like Coke and I like coffee but never together.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Coke combinations, try a calimocho. A Spanish drink made up of equal parts Coke and red wine.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I like Diet Coke, I like iced coffee. I wonder if I'll like the combination.

According to a wise philosopher:

Fruit: good.
Cake: good.

Fruitcake: nasty crap

-Jim Gaffigan

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
It was gross when pepsi did it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Years ago they had Coca-Cona. Coffee flavored coke. It was in brown cans. It was delicious!! If this is as good they have a winner on their hands.

And please advise who is carrying it for sale! Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Speaking of Coke combinations, try a calimocho. A Spanish drink made up of equal parts Coke and red wine.
I lived / worked in Spain for a year and a half. Never heard of this.

The only thing that my Spanish friends mixed with red wine, was brandy: one liter of red wine, one cup of brandy, to produce the real sangria (not the sweet kool-aid that is called "sangria" here in the U.S.).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mexico just changed over to the lower sugar stuff & it is nasty. Same packaging look as the original now. I got bit twice over the last 2 weeks. Yuck.

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
During one of my 5 tours in WEST Germany, red wine and Coke was popular in the Augsburg area.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I miss the original Jolt Cola.

Posts: 16208 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I miss the original Jolt Cola.

Hear, hear! Great stuff.

I think they carry the new variety at Dollar General stores...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15835 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post