SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walking canes for self defense.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walking canes for self defense. Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Shawn makes some really beautiful products
https://www.gilliscanes.com/

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:

I don't use a cane, but if I did that would be the place to go, those are stunning examples....

quote:
Declan Casey

Did you mean Casey Declan from Ireland, Paddy Casey's Shillelaghs?

https://www.facebook.com/paddy.casey.1297

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

He operates out of a small town not far east of Syracuse. And yes, they are stunning!

GCE61, do you have one of his canes?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16217 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:

One word: wow!

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching his video is interesting. For no reason, I pictured an old woodworker guy. It’s always nice to see a young craftsman

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don’t, a good friend of mine does and it’s just gorgeous.
When I banged up my back a few years ago I gave Shawn a call to discuss a custom cane but I never pulled the trigger on it.

I did buy a Cane Masters when my back went bad and refinished it as a hobby while I was stuck in the house. I stripped the finish they provide, then torch burnt areas of the hickory and refinished with some gunstock oil I had from SlipperyDicks. Came out great!

I flew with it a few times and no TSA issues.
Thank goodness within a year my back recovered, but it’s still in my car “in case” I need it.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don’t, a good friend of mine does and it’s just gorgeous.
When I banged up my back a few years ago I gave Shawn a call to discuss a custom cane but I never pulled the trigger on it.

I've looked at his stuff on and off for years as he is located just a few miles from where I grew up and still have family. But the cost worried me as I feared damaging one.
Ironically a less expensive custom one I got from Scott Prevost of the Walking Cane Company of Spokane WA in 2015 just did bite the bullet and break as I posted on the previous page. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16217 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
<snip>
So I've reconsidered crook style one piece canes in oak or hickory as being more resilient. Unsure if I will find the handle comfortable. <snip>

How did you get on with the handle of that crook style cane?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
don't need a cane (yet), but could use a good walking stick

Posts: 2768 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2768 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
How did you get on with the handle of that crook style cane?

It took some doing as the ergonomics are completely different from my previous Fritz handled canes. But I've adjusted. Still would like to splurge on one of those fancy well built numbers from Shawn Gillis.

USN (RET), COTEP #192