SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Way to Kill A Wasp Nest in a Soffit without Getting Attacked
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Way to Kill A Wasp Nest in a Soffit without Getting Attacked Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
So, I put up a couple Blink cameras outside and one is looking at the front yard from our entry soffit. Today I am getting notice after notice from that camera that is recording the little buggers flying in and out of the soffit.

Besides using a flame thrower, how can I get rid of these little assholes without being sent to the Emergency Room with multiple wasp stings? I thought about a wasp killer spray but think that will only piss them off. What about a fog or something like that?

Or, leave it to the professionals and save the medical bills?

Thanks.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Go to the store and get a can of Spectracide commercial wasp spray. Black and yellow or green can. Knocks them right out of the air.

I got my can of it at one of the big box home improvement stores, either Home depot or Lowes

Wait til dusk to spray the nest, that way all the wasps will be back in the nest and more docile as well.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32046 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Brake cleaner from AutoZone, O'Reillys, wherever it's cheapest. Use the straw for pin point accuracy.

If people would mind their own damn business this country would be better off. I owe no one an explanation or an apology for my personal opinion.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Do what the professionals suggest: get a pump up tank sprayer and use soapy water.

Posts: 3248 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Go to the store and get a can of Spectracide commercial wasp spray. Black and yellow or green can. Knocks them right out of the air.

I got my can of it at one of the big box home improvement stores, either Home depot or Lowes

Wait til dusk to spray the nest, that way all the wasps will be back in the nest and more docile as well.

Sounds like a good product but one problem: I can’t see the nest because it’s behind the soffit panel. It appears the wasps are using two access points to get into the soffit and one of them is next to where I put the camera.

The only way to get to the nest is to pull down the soffit panel not not really excited about doing so.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Spectracide Wasp spray really does knock them right out of the air and is designed to power squirt about 30 feet or more. If you can get a line of sight, spray a quick burst, and leave promptly. There will be no more wasps the next day. I have used it at least 3 times so far.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Tsar Bomba, Это единственный способ убедиться

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Step one: make sure homeowners policy is paid up.
Step two: Burn house to the ground.

Posts: 2534 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^Yep

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Nuking is overkill, but there's no need to take chances either.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
tank type sprayer, as recommended,

push the nozzle up in the hole(s) the wasp are using to enter/exit,

may take a few attempts,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10589 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
poke it with a stick? Cool

Posts: 481 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Short of fire and explosives, tenting and fumigating is the only way to be sure you got 'em all Wink

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23689 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Brake cleaner from AutoZone, O'Reillys, wherever it's cheapest. Use the straw for pin point accuracy.

This. Kills them so fast they freeze in place.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve used the Spectracide spray successfully in the past. Perhaps another option for you is to use a shop-vac. There are several videos on YouTube showing several different methods. The key seems to be to have a killing solution in the bottom of the canister and be able to keep the vacuum running and in place long enough to get the job done.

Don’t know the height of your soffit so this idea may not even be plausible.

Posts: 418 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez, I’d probably call the professionals. Being in the soffit, you don’t know how entrenched (potentially) the little bastards are in the roof or attic areas. At least with a professional, they should insure against any reoccurrences.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Bought this from local Ace Hdwr. I used this recently at parents house for a wasp nest inside the soffits. They were entering in at a corner between roof shingles and facet. I sprayed at sunset. Big red nasty wasp. You could hear them pissed off inside the soffit as I sprayed. It covered the opening and soffit area with residual foam/chemical. Didn’t see too many come out of hole. But, the soffit vent by their entry point was littered with wasp wings sticking out the next morning.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?
mi=74001&itemnum=25390&redir=Y

I had to leave that morning and wasn’t able to do another can. I could still hear some buzzing in soffit. So I can’t say it was 100% but it worked. I like how it kept residual product at entry area. Hopefully discouraging any new nesting.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1311 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
quote:

Sounds like a good product but one problem: I can’t see the nest because it’s behind the soffit panel. It appears the wasps are using two access points to get into the soffit and one of them is next to where I put the camera.

The only way to get to the nest is to pull down the soffit panel not not really excited about doing so.

I would still use the spray and just soak the two entrances with it. See what happens. Any that try to enter or leave when it's still wet with the spray will die.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16451 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Massive Chemical Weapon attack is the recommend COA for Wasps, YellowJackets, and the like.

More is always better. I had to take on a colony of Red Ants that imbedded itself in my brick walkway. They got it with both barrels of Spectracide ant killer (old from a couple years), then I nuked them with 2 cans of Wasp spray.

Literally wiped them off the map

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post