SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best Way to Kill A Wasp Nest in a Soffit without Getting Attacked
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Way to Kill A Wasp Nest in a Soffit without Getting Attacked Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Brake cleaner from AutoZone, O'Reillys, wherever it's cheapest. Use the straw for pin point accuracy.

This. Kills them so fast they freeze in place.

Plus it will erupt in a ball of flames if you light it up!

Posts: 2534 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The long range wasp sprays I have used all kill them so fast they don't have time to sting before they are overcome. I had red wasps in the eaves of my house, and I sprayed them and all they could do was stagger out and drop to the ground. Dead within seconds after that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez, I’d probably call the professionals. Being in the soffit, you don’t know how entrenched (potentially) the little bastards are in the roof or attic areas. At least with a professional, they should insure against any reoccurrences.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A professional can get rid of the problem for good. A trip to the ER is expensive, not to mention getting stung or worse one of your kids or heaven forbid your spouse. A professional can also tell you how to PREVENT the problem in the future. I value my health and time more than money. Let us know what you decide to do.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Geez, I’d probably call the professionals. Being in the soffit, you don’t know how entrenched (potentially) the little bastards are in the roof or attic areas. At least with a professional, they should insure against any reoccurrences.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A professional can get rid of the problem for good. A trip to the ER is expensive, not to mention getting stung or worse one of your kids or heaven forbid your spouse. A professional can also tell you how to PREVENT the problem in the future. I value my health and time more than money. Let us know what you decide to do.

Fortunately the soffit is enclosed and only confined to the entry door. That said, there is no telling how wide the gaps are in the plywood framing when the house was built. Fingers crossed they Amish framers did a decent job putting these sticks together.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5799 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch them to see how they enter the soffit. At some point they land somewhere around the entry point and walk inside. Find that spot and poison the surface with a fine powdered poison like Orthene. I tie a rag on the end of a pole, sprinkle a heavy amount of Orthene on the rag, and dab the powder around the entry point on the soffit. The wasps will make their landing and walk through the powder thereby delivering the poison to the nest. The poison kills the wasp that tracked in the powder to the nest as well as baby wasps emerging from the nest. Each wasp walking through the stuff dies. The poison gets deposited on the nest surface killing the nest tenants. I found that the standard wasp spray works for several days but fades. As new pupae matures and hatch, the problem returns in a couple of weeks.

Posts: 1623 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
there is a white powder that the pros use to dust the entrances/exits of wasps, the wasp get the dust on their bodies, and it eventually kills them. I have some but don't remember the name. you also need a cheap plastic duster blower squeeze thingy, otherwise it's near impossible to spread the powder effectively.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
The stuff has a long, long range. Can you remove some say 10 feet down? Wait til night, then remove the neighboring panel. Then you can spray the nest.

Unless you get the nest, at night when all the wasps are back in it, the problem will come back.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
And for God's sake guys... use brake cleaner for cleaning brakes and bug spray for spraying bugs....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
The white powder mentioned above is probably Sevin dust. Put it at the entrance where they go in. Problem solved.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use this stuff, it is awesome. I get it from Lowe’s or Home Depot.

It kills them instantly, but also kills any returning wasps for 4 WEEKS! I use it in my attic and there are several places I can’t get to and knock down the nest easily.

Spray at night when they are mostly on the nest and not moving as much.

Spectracide Pro

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That's a job I would happily pay a professional to do

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
I use this stuff, it is awesome. I get it from Lowe’s or Home Depot.

It kills them instantly, but also kills any returning wasps for 4 WEEKS! I use it in my attic and there are several places I can’t get to and knock down the nest easily.

Spray at night when they are mostly on the nest and not moving as much.

Spectracide Pro

Yes I buy this stuff by the case. We would be overrun if we didn't declare war on them every year. The foam sticks to the nest and the wasps-kills them DRT and any others that return to the nest. Always hunt them after dark so they are all in the nest and inactive

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Step one: make sure homeowners policy is paid up.
Step two: Burn house to the ground.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Or, leave it to the professionals and save the medical bills?

To ask some questions is to answer them. Wink

Plus, you can keep the cameras going and keep track of the fun while the pros take the risks.

Posts: 15158 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
either method will work, just please be careful!!

we lost a neighbor 10 days ago to a swarm of some kind of bee(s) or wasp ,

he was moving some brush in his backyard, and got swarmed,

died about 15 minutes later,

74yrs old, no one knew he was allergic,

since no one could ID the Bee/wasp, and since the medical examiner found over 30 stings, and a few stingers, they sent off a couple that had been swatted out to ID ,

hope to find out soon

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10594 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
rig up a shopvac with a long hose near the entrance. it 'll work great, but you will lose the use of your shopvac until they die.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post