SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GEAR REVIEW : Keen Citizen Evo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GEAR REVIEW : Keen Citizen Evo Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted
https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-CITIZEN-EVO-WP.html

I love these shoes. I have been searching for a good shoe/boot to wear for work since I started 22 years ago. I work in a prison and walk anywhere from 35 to 70 miles in a 7 day work week + I wear them outside of work. I have run the gamut of brands and types of shoes. Too heavy, hot, uncomfortable, not enough support, no traction, etc.

In January I bought a pair after finding the citizen evo's in black (work requirement). And I am a fan.

pros--
1. breathes well but still water proof.
2. bottom of the upper has a rubber coating that stops mud and easy to wash off.
3. comfortable and lightweight
4. sole sheds mud debris easily
5. Laces are high quality and show no wear after 8 months

Cons--
1. fabric loops that the laces run through. the super tough laces wore through a loop. Had to use a hole punch through the upper.
2 lacing system is wearing. So the durability is a factor but I have probably have 1200 miles on this pair conservatively.
2. cost is up there
3. Ankle support could be better but that affects the comfort

They do make a mid top and this also comfortable from trying it on in the store!!!

I wholeheartedly give these the thumbs up

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Keen definitely makes good footwear for work.

I've got a pair in shipment right now as a matter of fact. We need to have safety toe, ESD-rated where I work, and work covers the cost once per year, up to $125.
Over a 5 year period, I had 2 pairs of Keen... the Atlanta Cool, and the Detroit Low. They each lasted 2.5 years. No other shoe I've had has lasted that long.

When Merrell came out with their work boot line a couple years ago, being the Merrell shoe fan that I am, I bought a pair (July 2018).
They started fraying within 2 months,didn't offer the arch support that I got from my Keen boots, and weighed probably about 25% more than the comparable Keen boots as well.

So after 12 months of use, I'm going back to Keen, and should receive them early next week.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I am also a fan of Keen.

I have keen targhee II's that are perfect in every way. They are waterproof hikers but I use them as daily wear around town as well as on trails.

I have Keen steel toe boots from work that are easily 7 years old and still function though the tread is worn down on the sole.

I've never had an issue and especially like the wider toe box on most of their styles.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4791 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
$160 for a friggin sneaker??

And I thought my Merrill's were expensive.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6326 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I hate those fabric lace loops. I’ve had too many instances of them failing from the wear of the lace that runs through them. Maybe due to the dusty sandy area I wear them in.

Posts: 26921 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
$160 for a friggin sneaker??

And I thought my Merrill's were expensive.

Most high quality hiking shoes are expensive.. they are a bit more than a sneaker. But my running shoes were also 160.00

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you are still wearing them after 1200 miles , Id call that superior performance.

I know many that toss their shoes after 500-600 miles

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Keen makes good footgear. I used to get cold feet, especially in winter and nothing worked to alleviate it. I read about it and learned that the more you expose them to direct cold, the more your body will “learn” to suffuse them with blood to counter the chill. I wanted sandals that felt like shoes and protected the toes and looked at several brands before settling on Keens.

I ended up going with the Newport H2’s and am on my 3rd pair. I wear them year round when I’m not at work, even in winter. The only exception is when there is snow deeper than a couple of inches on the ground. They have a fully boxed toe, are waterproof and machine washable and the footbed is solid enough for running if it needs to happen.

Yes, Keens are expensive, but I’ve found that not everyone likes them. Therefore they might try them on, not like them, and decide to sell them. All 3 pairs I’ve bought have been off of fleabay at pretty deep discounts. I only buy them in the “only worn once” category, give them a good sterilizing wash, and wear for about 1.5-2 years nonstop.

I strongly recommend Keens. Try them on before buying them anywhere but in person to make sure the fit will be right.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post